NEWS : Denmark’s viking spirit ends Kim and Ra’s dream

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Aug 16, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1] [size=+1]Denmark’s viking spirit ends Kim and Ra’s dream[/size] [/size][/font] Daily Express

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]SOUTH Korean top seeds Kim Dong-Moon and Ra Kyung-Min were sensationally knocked out of the Olympic mixed doubles badminton here on Monday. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]The seemingly invincible pair, unbeaten since winning the world championships in England last year, came unstuck in the quarterfinals against Danish seventh seeds Jonas Rasmussen and Rikke Olsen. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]The Danes, for whom the predatory instincts and explosive smashes of Rasmussen proved decisive, won a thrilling contest 17-14, 15-8 to clinch a place in the last four where they will meet fourth seeds Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]The Great Britain pair defeated Chinese sixth seeds Chen Qiqiu and Zhao Tingting. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]Rasmussen could not contain his emotion at the end, dropping to his knees before being embraced by his partner Olsen with loud cheers from the scores of Danish fans ringing in their ears. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]“I think it’s the best result I’ve ever had because they have been unbeaten for a year now and to beat them at the Olympics is just fantastic,†Olsen said. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]Rasmussen revealed Kim’s apprehension was a key factor in swinging the game the Danes’ way. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]“We quickly noticed that Kim was nervous today, he made a lot of errors and we capitalised on that,†said the 26-year-old. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]“We were very fast at the net and that is usually where they are so good, so we beat them at their own game.†[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=-1]British pair Robertson and Emms produced a solid performance to topple Chen and Zhao 15-8, 17-15. Robertson said the result owed much to the understanding he has developed with the diminutive but tigerish Emms. - AFP [/size][/font]

2. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Kim was nervous at TC2004 as well and he made many unforced errors. I wonder what happened to him, too much pressure from his own people to win ??? I feel sorry for him, he is still one of my favourite doubles player.