hi from san diego

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Yip168, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    hello my name is henry. next year will be my 3rd year on the school team (i'm 16). i practice every tues, friday, and saturday. i think i am pretty good :rolleyes: , but you guys would probably destroy me :D . i used an isometric 90vf strung bg65 18x19 (is that how its strung?) for 2 years until i snapped it last week from a smash.my friend wants to give me his ti-10 but i dont want to it take it from him. what would u guys recommend in the 100-200 us dollar range that is similar to the Ti-10? i'm hoping to learn some new things from you guys here at badminton central.

thanks.

ps. if i showed you a video of me playing this guy that i can NEVER beat..would ya guys help me with my techniques?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Hey and welcome to the forums henry. Wow, 3 years of badminton. Next year will be my 4th year of badminton. We're not that far apart in years of experience. But you practice more than I do so you're probably better than me. If you're friend is offering his ti-10, why dont you just take it? If you want something similar to the ti-10 why not just get the ti-10? I use a ti-10 myself and haven't really used any other racquet...well except for my at-700, but that is gone now...I'm not sure if we'll be of any help with any techniques/strategies against your opponent, certainly I wouldn't be of any help. But I don't see why we couldn't try.

3. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    hi jopesh , nice to meet ya. it's cool to see people the same level as me. the reason i don't want to take his ti-10 is because if i do he'll become racquet-less and abandon badminton (and i don't want to be the cause of that). i've been looking at the armortecs (ats you call em?). i've tried my cousins 500 but i didnt like it at all. i'd get the at800 but i deno what style i play in (OFF/DEF), i just play. the mp-100 feels good also. okay, i'll stop talking now :D .

this forum is great

4. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    What school do you play for? I am from San Diego too. Let me guess you go to the Balboa Park Activity Center or "Fed" to play those Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays? I used to go there often too but now I am in Irvine.

As for racquets, I have many including MP-100s (2U & 3U), MP-99 3U, Ti-10 2U, ISO800 Tour 2U, Ti-7 Long 2U, Ti-3 Light 3U, Carbonex 10 Tour 2U, Carbonex 8100 Light 3U, ISO MF60 Light 3U. I love feel of the MP-100, Ti-10, and my new MP-99. If you play lots of singles then I think the MP-100 and the Ti-10 will better suit you although it might be hard to buy from the store since it is discontinued. If you play more doubles then singles my suggestion would be the MP-99 since it is a little quicker than MP-100.

You can also go with the newer Armortec series (AT300, 500, 700, 800OF/DE), but I can't give you any recommendation since I don't like them. The feel and play are different from other racquets but I cannot speak for you. If singles is your game, the AT700, which is replacing the MP-100, would be best. With doubles, go for either the AT800OF or AT800DE depending on which type of player you are. The AT500, which is like the MP77 of the AT series, is also a nice one to consider.

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Hi Yip168,

Welcome to BadmintonForum. You're right, this forum really is great. Don't forget to let us know which racket you end up with. :D

-dave

6. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    virusvoodoo, are you Van's brother Vu??????????????????

7. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    @ wood chuck- i'm using this Prince racquet. the bottom of the head is "v" shaped. it works pretty good.

8. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Yeah, but who are you? I don't know any Henry in San Diego.

9. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    i was the one with the "cracking" isometric 90vf. you told me if i put more pressure on the racquet i would snap it. well, it did and thats why i'm lookin for a new racquet. and if you still dont remember, i think we were argueing whether or not to close the gym doors. i found out your name through my cousin billy from phhs.

10. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    You are Henry from Patrick Henry High School? I am sorry but I still can't remember you. I have bad memory so you will need to tell me the school you attend to refresh my memory. I do not know anyone with an ISOMETRIC 90VFS beside Roger from Mira Mesa (well he uses an MP-100 now) and some girls from Crawford and Hoover.

11. Yip168

Yip168 Regular Member

Student
    i know your brother van , ask him. lol

12. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Ahh, I remember now after having called and talked to my brother. He said that you are Henry Yip from UC High School and also cousin of Patrick from La Jolla High School. Am I correct? However, I still don't have a clear idea of how you look like since I don't remember playing much with you.

Anyway, this is the perfect time for you to upgrade to a more decent racquet. You are or should be (I hope) at the intermediate, if not advanced, level in High School. What will you be playing next year Henry? Singles? Doubles? Or Mixed? Also, what type of player are you? Do you like to smash a lot? Do you prefer drives or drops instead? Or do you like to wear your opponents out? I will recommend you a good racquet based on the type of player you are.

Oh yeah, how did you know that I am Van's brother in the first place? Is it because I named all of my equipments that you remember seeing at the Balboa Park Activity Center? Let me know because I want to know how you figured that out.