Can AUDINA Mia pose a challenge to the Chinese WS?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by mixture, Aug 17, 2004.

1. mixture

mixture Regular Member

AUDINA Mia played pretty well before the semi-finals. Can she pose a challenge to the Chinese women's single? Give your prediction...

2. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

....For me i don't think she will win against Gong ruina
    firstly gong seems to be in a better shape and i'm sure she wants to take her revenge for japan open =p

3. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Yes. She has been in good form this year. However i think she would have a better chance against Zhang ning or zhou mi. A lot depends on how far she progress in WD, as she is still not very fit. She look absolutely exhausted in the not-so taxing match against Tracey Hallam.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    well, the match could be long, but I don't think Mia would win. Gong has better chance and better shape now, and it's very hard to beat her.

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think and hope it's gonna be a 1 2 3 finish for China. But personally, of the 3 Chinese ladies, I think Mia would have the highest chance against Zhou as compared to Zhang and Gong.

6. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

if that's the case, then zhang will need to lose to zhou so that she can play mia for the bronze, if gong beats mia. then that way, there will be a higher chance for chn to grab all three medals: gong-gold, zhou-silver & zhang-bronze

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Zhou has lost to Mia twice the last two times the ladies met. Even though Zhang and Gong have lost their last meetings against her, they hold better psychological/numerical advantage. Gong is 5-1 all-time and Zhang had the luxury of goose-egging Mia twice in second set!! It's gonna be a tough call but if Gong does make it to finals then I don't think LYB is gonna do anything funny as the gold and silver are already claimed... he wouldn't want to ruin either Zhang's or Zhou's chances for OLYMPIC gold to satisfy his own desires for all-out Chinese supremecy.... or would he???

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally. Mia threat to the Chinese team is very very real. perhaps even higher than Camilla.

Mia has been in very good form in the past 1/2 yr. she has beaten all of the Chinese in their recent encounter. we used to see her fall apart after one game, now she has the ability to drag the game on alongside with the Chinese. she has demonstrated that if she can overcome her stamina, she too can beat the Chinese.

moreover, all 3 Chinese are playing their first Olympics (i think Zhou Mi also) and Mia got a silver way way back in 1996. she may not be the oldest, but she is certainly the most experienced when it comes to the Olympics.

Mia also told a Chinese press that she is feel well and is in her best form ever.

further, the Chinese aren't really in that good of a shape. Zhou and Zhang both got drag into 3 games by their "lesser" opponents, and I think Gong somehow has some problems with her leg, she isn't moving as smoothly as before.

however, with some luck, i think Chinese has the best formation against Mia, with Gong playing her first, Gong need to really force her into long grueling rallies, force her deep into the corners to make sure that Mia is tired. after that if Mia hasn't lost, Mia also need to play doubles, Lee/Hwang (KOR) will then do the Chinese a big favor to make sure that Mia is completely depleted, the next day, she will be so dead tired, Chinese should put Zhang Ning on the line, make some really fast and deceptive shots to finish her off.

what a master plan, i should be sitting in the place of Li Yongbo. then again, maybe not.

but of course, Mia may have different ideas. she i think is a fighter, she has supported the Dutch team as both singles and doubles players for a long time, and we have seen her play marathon matches after marathon matches.

anything can happen, we will see how the semi-final pans out first and we will find out...

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Shocker may not be done yet, so far mostly came from the men's side to date. ;)

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Mia has been in Great form lately.. She may be the only threat for the Chinese Womens Singles players..

She have won over them before...

11. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Is Mia that really really fat chick?:D:confused: (No offense to Mia fans)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    She is bulky..:) Not fat

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Errr, I thought some people may refer her as impressive muscle chick :D

14. Feng_MP-100

Student
    I think I've seen one of her pictures before... where she was jump smashing... First thought came to my mind was: "OMFG... FLYING COW!!!":D

15. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

I think Mia will beat Gong ... another surprise ... :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree Mia Audina is in better form than last year. I think she might have lost some weight just by judging from the TV images of her recent matches, but I prefer to see her trimmer and be fitter. Her weight could be her Achilles heel and could slow her movements.

However, just as kwun, I also discern the 'awkward' movements of Gong Ruina in her match agaist Li Li of Singapore, especially in the first game which Li Li almost won and probably could if she had more experience. Furthermore, Mia has beaten Gong recently and therefore her confidence level remains high. I hope she doesn't become over-confident and into complacency.

Since Ronald Susilo has beaten the world no.1 in men's singles and both he and Mia, who were born in Indonesia, coincidentally captured the respective Japan Open crowns this year, it may be a signal of good omen that Mia is favoured to triumph over the ladies' singles WR 1 also.

So, i'll pick Mia of Holland to beat Gong of China, a repeat of Ronald over Lin. ;) Actually, if this really happens, it will be more exciting and good for badminton. :)

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Agree with Loh, despite her bulk, Mia moves fast and has good attack although she's not as tall as Ruina. Even Susi Susanti doesn't have that good an attack.

Anyway, we should all root for Mia so that the final will still be a contest instead of a "controlled victory".

18. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That "fat chick" can beat you hands down with only one hand and one eye closed !!! :D :D

19. Feng_MP-100

Student
    yep, she surely can... unforunately, im not that "muscular" like her.:(