Chunla Bao lost

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by manliz, Aug 17, 2004.

1. manliz

manliz Regular Member

Bao lost his game against Park. Can't believe it!:eek: How could he make so many unforced errors. He was not playing his normal game. It seems he is still not mature enough.:mad:

2. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( :(

i'm so saad pooor baao .. why tell me why !!

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Enormous mistake

It also seems like chinese staff made an enormous mistake by not selecting Xia Xuanze !!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

4. Yozza

Yozza Regular Member

Yes, Bao was a bit stuttery. Never really felt he was comfortable with his game, and his net play was quite inconsistent. However, Park played a very aggressive, fast strategy, especially in the first game, and he looked as if he was confident.

It worked though, and now we (Chinese, that is) only have Chen Hong for our MS hopes. I'm sure he'll try his best to deliver :) , but in any case, the standard of badminton is very high, and will be a joy to watch regardless of who plays.

5. manliz

manliz Regular Member

I agree! Prefer Xia than Bao and Chen:rolleyes: . The reason for choosing Chen instead of Xia is Chen's world ranking is higher than Xia. And the advantage of bao is his age (also his weakness:( ).

6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Chen is doign very well for the moment so I don't see why we are critisizing him.

7. manliz

manliz Regular Member

Now Chinese only hope Chen Hong got through. Didn't watch his match against LEE but can see it was not a easy one from the score (11-15 15-3:eek: 12-15). Still not very confident about him.:eek:

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Xia should be selected......at least I think he is more stable and more experienced for the big games.

9. chicteenager

chicteenager Regular Member

Student
    Do not forget that Lee Chong Wei has just beaten Chen Hong recently in the Malaysian Open. I guess it is wrong to underestimate Chen Hong's capability just because the score was very close. Lee Chong Wei is a very good player himself. Of course, it was not easy for Chen Hong to beat him...

10. chicteenager

chicteenager Regular Member

Student
    I guess there is no point looking back. I am sure the coaches have their own reasons for not selecting Xia Xuanze. Just hope that Cheng Hong can deliver:).

11. manliz

manliz Regular Member

Yes, I agree with you. Just felt unfair for Xia. He attended last Olympic as a promising new comer. Now he has to hand his place over to the youngers.

12. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yes, the main thing was Xia's had the Olympic experience and has proven he can perform in crucial situations (ie Sydney where he won Bronze, WC 2003 where he won championship). But if only he didn't suffer that injury last year after Spore Open.... his form may not have dipped that low. Oh well, there's time for him to defend his WC title.

13. silvia

silvia Regular Member

But i hope the coaches especially LYB can learn his lesson this time...leaving out XXZ in big tourney like this was nt CLEVER decision.......now we wait for wat chen hong can do for his country......and I hope xuanze can defends his WC next year................ :)

14. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Gosh..... I don't think China's gonna get MS gold... even tho I really wish China to get it... But... Chen... Hong... he... can't... do... it...:( ... ... ...

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    however, hindsight is alway 20/20 vision :)

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think LYB's emphasis is on Beijing Olympics. Giving the younsters Lin and Bao some experience so that they could do better on home ground. Xia would have done well in this Olympics, but he would have taken up space of a younger guy who needs the experience more. Hopefully, Chen Hong could shine for his swan song. Not sure if he'll be back for the next Olympics.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Second to that. Giving exposure to the youngsters prove to be a wise decision from LYB. Like what you can see... when comes to Olympics.. its a different matter. Even Giants can lose in this tournament.

18. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

Yes....i definately agree that xia should have been chosen to play in the olympics...at first my top choices were lin da...bao chun lai ...and xia xuan ze.....as i havent really seen chen hong played b4......but alll my hopes are on him now..lemme tell u guys this: i was soo sad and surprised when lin dan lost...as were probably most of you...this tells us that the older players like xia should not be not favored just becoz he is older and doesn't have a very high ranking.....experience and the ability to deal with pressure is VERY important...btw...u guys said that xia had suffered an injury earlier....may i ask what it was?

19. economet

economet Regular Member

Some Facts about Park Taesang

Park didn't have high expectation at all because he was discharged from hospital at the end of July. His leg injury is still really bad. He missed all the last training sessions in the mountain 'Sorak'.

I didn't expect that he can defeat the technically perfect tall Chinese Bao and the second set was only won because Bao didn't force Park to run around the court consistently. Nevertheless, Park defeated Xia at Danish Open and German Open 2003 in early rounds which was one of the reasons for Chines coaches' doubt about Xia.

His way to the Olympics kept every badminton fan in Korea in suspense. He namely qualified at the last remaining tournament (Asian Championships) with a shortest possible distance of about 3.5 points to the 17th ranked Anders Boesen. Boesen lost to Peter Gade at the semi finals of the European Championships this year. Theoretically, there would have been a chance for three Danes qualified for Olympic Games if Peter Gade deliberately had lost to his compatriot Boesen.

In Athens the Korean badminton team has got its own physiotherapist who is excellent at acupuncture because Park, Sohn and other players are permanently injured.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I can't really agree with this one.

It's always easier to criticize others after the results, but who can fore-see the future back in July? Xia's major problem was his age and injury, and MS could be anyone's title (mostly, top 20s in the world). It's not fair to judge a selection, just because they did not win a title.

What can you say, if Xia is selected, but have to give a big WO to opponent, as his injury starts to act up?

The call was way too close, there's no way to predict a 50-50 match like this.