What is the best olympic team?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Russ7, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

I'm just wondering. I'm rooting for the danes in every event (not a big fan of asian teams, not racist but I hate losing to them).

I was just wondering what the top 3 or 5 teams are.

I think they are Korea, China, Denmark, Indonesia, Singapore but I'm not sure(maybe England is good too?). Can anybody put them in order?

2. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    I am not trying to be racist against Asian, Europeans, or anyone for that matter but in my opinion, I would rank China as the #1 team although I hate their main coach LYB (don't know his full name) and a few of his players like LIN Dan. I hate that LYB guy the first time I saw his face in the 2004 Sydney Olympic Men's Singles matches. He looks very evil in a way.

Anyway back to the ranking, I would rank Indonesians as having the second best team with Korea closing behind them as #3. Overall, there are better Indonesian singles & doubles players, especially the men. However, Koreans have made tremendous improvement over the last few years. There are quite a few exceptional Korean singles players such as SHON Seung-Mo, Park Tae-Sang, Lee Hynn II, etc... Their men's doubles players are awesome with the two top pairs taking gold and silver medal in the Olympics for this category. Mixed doubles is also excellent with the KIM Moon Dong and RA Ha Kim pair. It was tragic that they were eliminated early in the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprise if Korea surpasses Indonesia or China and Indonesia beating China. The rankings do change because there are constantly new Asian players, coming in every year or so that are able to dominate the charts. This is especially true for China because they are known to do this in recent years.

Now, as for 4th it would have to be Denmark. They too are very strong in badminton with skills able to take on the top Asians as mentioned above. Their men singles players are excellent with Peter GADE being the top European singles player. Their doubles can prove to be a major concern for the other countries lately. As fifth place we have Malaysia. Malaysia singles players are strong, especially WONG Choong Hann and let's not forget about Lee Choong Wei. Doubles are fairly strong but they seem to have not overtake other doubles pairs in major tournaments.

Well, that's my opinion based on all knowledge from watching the videos, following the IBF rankings, and comments from people here on this forums. I know many of you will disagree with me which is welcomed because I would like to hear your opinion too.

3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    LYB- lee yong bo

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think it should be written Li Yong Bo in fact :)

5. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

1. CHINA- 3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze= 5 medals

2. KOREA- 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze= 3 medals

3. INDONESIA- 1 gold, 2 bronze= 3 medals

4. DENMARK-nothing, but i guess better than malaysia...

korea and indonesia has same medal count, but i gave korea second place since they have 1 silver instead of bronze that indonesia has, and we all know kim/ra are teh best pair, even tho they didn't win, but what they have accomplished during the past year is quite as big as a medal in the olympics. head to heads, i'm only counting the ones i can remember

taufik vs shon= indonesia

kim/ha vs flandy/eng= korea

shon vs sony= korea

flandy/limpele vs kim/yim= indonesia

can't remember anymore, but since the head to heads is 2-2, i would say indonesia doesn't really have a edge on this... so korea wins.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    heh....what was i thinking...watching too many HK/TW movies...even my pinyin has changed. :rolleyes:

7. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

KOREA had 2 silver medals. Men's singles and Men's doubles.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    And Denmark had 1 bronze also.
    And also to complete the medals : Netherlands and Great Britain both had 1 silver.

It seems like these figures weren't very precise!! :p

9. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Well, my ranking is not based on just the Olympics. I've been observing these players of the different teams in numerous tournaments, not just one, to form my hypothesis. It is unfair to say a team is better than another just based on 1 tournament.

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I was talking about New_Guy04's figures in fact...

Anyway, the subject of this topic is "What is the best olympic team?", so I consider the ranking should be based on the results at the Olympics! Logical no? :p