Results 1 to 17 of 41
Thread: US beaten in basketball!!
08-15-2004, 03:43 PM #1
US beaten in basketball!!
By puerto rico!! how about that for a dream team?
08-15-2004, 03:45 PM #2
What a day!!! Enough of surprises ...
08-15-2004, 03:47 PM #3
No No, we want more surprises !
08-15-2004, 04:00 PM #4
Can any of the Americans, or non americans please explain to me how the USA can lose? Against a 2nd world country, no offense, but there is more money for sports in the USA, the best competition, the best players, how can you possibly lose that? It's like schumacher losing in a Ferarri against a kart driven by a mother of three or something....well, beautiful thing, sports...
08-15-2004, 04:09 PM #5
because there is more money playing in the US NBA than playing in the Olympics, more motivation.
08-15-2004, 04:10 PM #6
Could be due to few reasons:
1. NBA session starts in Fall and ends in Spring, all these players are out of shape or not in their peak performance.
2. Not all the best NBA players want to join the Olympics team for whatever reasons.
3. I'm not sure how well they prepared as a team.
4. They are expected to win and perhaps also under pressure.
5. They might have underestimated the opponents.
08-15-2004, 04:12 PM #7
And, one the most important things, they think NBA is more important and challenging, especially for their career ... as compared to other competitions even Olympics.
08-15-2004, 04:13 PM #8
Could also be that they are far from being the "dream team" of yesteryear
08-15-2004, 04:37 PM #9
There are a few other reasons why the USA lost today,
But I think mainly they lost because they had a bad day and P.R. had the game of there lives. If you had watched, nothing fell for the U.S. and P.R. just had all the bounces going there way.
1. International rules are freaking ridiculous, they emphasize just pure jump shooting. If you watch international ball everyone is in the middle clogging the lane. Everyone just looking for charges and there are no fouls called, like playing ghettoball.
2. The three line is like 3 feet closer, nba players are not used to shooting this kind of shot as the pay off in the nba game is not there. This distance shot is not emphasized in the nba game.
3. This is euroball, not the nba...our team has only had a couple of weeks with a finalized team to practice, where European and S.A. team have been playing there whole careers.
4. This is not the best possible team they can field notable absenses, Kobe Bryant, Tracy Mcgrady, Shaq, Vince Carter, Kevin Garrnet..etc
5. I would like to see how well a european team would do against a fully stock NBA All-Star team...playing a NBA style game...then I would be shocked to see USA lose
08-15-2004, 04:44 PM #10
the play is fair though. the rules of the international tournament isn't new. NBA chooses to play their own rules is their own choice. the price they have to pay is they will lose out on international matches.
surely there are better players, but if they chose not to come, you can't blame anybody but the US themselves.
and the one who chose to come, they only practiced for a few week isn't any other body's fault but their own. others country probably practiced for months and years.
fact is, US lost on established rules. and they field the strongest team who are willing to attend. sounds fair to me.
08-15-2004, 04:55 PM #11
I am not saying its unfair...I am saying there are a variety of reason why the US lost to P.R. only shocking thing was they degree of the loss. I believe these Olympics will be a good lesson to humble the players. I am still going to say the US is the best in basketball. I just believe the international rules and lack of enthusiasm for the Olympic basketball is the reason for their loss.
08-15-2004, 04:58 PM #12Originally Posted by V1lau
08-15-2004, 05:06 PM #13
if nba players are so good they should win anyway, with nba and international rules.
but... dream team was only 1992 team
Last edited by gheri; 08-15-2004 at 05:10 PM.
08-15-2004, 05:46 PM #14
if they got more than 6 practices and a couple of scrimages in and more player had more patriotism and less court battles...I believe they would easily win the olympics...well there is always Beijing 2008
08-16-2004, 04:49 AM #15
Well they deserve to lose... US team are really out of sync.. they are not putting their effort and didnt play with heart.
08-16-2004, 06:44 AM #16Originally Posted by V1lau
The USA has fielded an All Star team, not a Dream Team. They just threw out a bunch of young talent. None of the players has previous Olympic experience.
An article on this year's USA basketball team by ESPN.com's Bill Simmons, who writes great and entertaining columns. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040804
08-16-2004, 07:55 AM #17
maybe they should start calling themselves the "Nightmare" team
By CkcJsm in forum General ForumReplies: 21: 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
By pandaman in forum Techniques / TrainingReplies: 1: 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
By Loh in forum Sudirman Cup 2005Replies: 42: 05-10-2006, 01:41 AM
By Nitemeister in forum Chit-ChatReplies: 8: 12-15-2004, 01:54 AM
By 2cents in forum Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003Replies: 18: 11-11-2003, 10:36 AM