Well, it's over...

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Adel, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Doesn't seem right not to post, now that Ronald Susilo went out to Boonsak Ponsana in the quarter-finals 10-15, 1-15. It's easy to say stuff like this when everything's over and done with but I was anticipating this match with a very uneasy feeling from the morning which, btw was why I refused to post on whom I thought would have won.

Ronald was slightly sluggish in the 1st set and totally gone in the 2nd - it was obvious from both his facial expression and body language, and those who saw the match would know what I mean.

Am not an expert on badminton technique so will not attempt to dissect the match. Have criticized the local media for playing up our chances and bashing athletes later so will *try* not to do the same.

Anyways, congrats to Boonsak on your victory - please stay on the circuit a little longer. You have plenty of time to practise law, you know!

My only comfort is that I don't have to spend money on giving my family and friends a treat. I said two Olympics ago (in 1996) that the day Singapore wins a medal - of any color - I will buy everyone abalone for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Two Olympics later, I have yet to do so... and I was even thinking this morning that well, if Ronald can get something, I *really* wouldn't mind spending that money...

Have to bear with the annoying Mandarin-dubbed dialogue from my mum's Korean soaps now... oh well.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Don't be too disappointed Adel. You lost only one in one day. We in Malaysia lost 4 in a space of 3 hours. :( Multiply by 4 what you are feeling now, and that pretty much comes close to what I am feeling. Furthermore, Malaysia has always been considered a badminton super power for Men, but we are just not showing it in recent years. First the humiliation in Thomas Cup, now this.

3. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    It's even worse for us Canadian, I won't even tell what apenned to us

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Haha, so you must have saved quite a bit of money by now. Better don't spend them away too soon because in 4 years' time, you may really have to celebrate with those you have promised.

Ronald must be the most disappointed athlete in Singapore. He was just one step to a bronze medal and S$250,000. I'm afraid his chance has diminished considerably and will probably miss the next Olympics at Beijing for being 'overaged'.

Somehow his performance against Boonsak completely fizzled out after the first game. He could not do anything right to salvage a point. Conversely, Boonsak was like Ronald the underdog against Lin Dan. He showed greater determination and was willing to attack the defenceless Ronald. Ronald simply lacked the fire and coolness he displayed against Lin. On the other hand he was lackluster, lethargic and had no killer instinct and Boonsak therefore thoroughly deserved his victory. Amazing how fortunes can turn in such a short time!

Let's hope Boonsak can maintain his form against Taufik who played such an excellent game against an in-form Peter Gade. Then we can look forward to a much better match than that against Ronald. ;)

5. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

The rise and fall of Ronald Susilo within days in 2004 Olympics. I totoally agree with Loh, Ronald didn't perform as expected and seem to give up rather easily in the second match. Anyway, Ronald had already done all Singaporean proud by defeating the world No. 1 ... Way to go Ronald Susilo.

Don't think he will represent Singapore in the next olympics, but the younger generation may surprise all of us.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Boonsak won? thats good news for Thailand..

7. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hee

me being a singaporean is obviously disappoinetd that ronald had lost his chance for an olympic gold medal.. but then never did i expect him to reach this far, and besides that, boonsak had played a really good game this time making very few unforced errors and extremely accurate netshots. so lets not lose hope over this unfortunate incident as ronald would definitely be better and stronger the next time he plays for anotehr tournament.

:)~

8. Polkadots

Polkadots Regular Member

My heart dropped like a stone in a well watching the Susilo/Boonsak match. Susilo's mentally weak today. He was apparently quite frustrated and affected by Boonsak's great many net balls.

Well, i think credit still have to be given to Boonsak for his cool play and ability to return many difficult close body smashes from Susilo (which I think dampened Susilo's spirit further). Good luck to Boonsak and I hope he'll go further in the competition.

I had the good fortune of being able to watch the Taufik/Gade match this afternoon and I must say it was really a firework display of badminton skills. As much as I wanted Susilo get far, I have to admit he has little chance against either Taufik or Gade.

Well, I can now at least divert a little more attention to Li Jia Wei :rolleyes: at the pingpong table. Hope Susilo's defeat will not affect her too badly.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe Ronald simply got tired out mentally from the whole excitement.

The man from Thailand has simply being going on quietly with his business.

Reminds me a little of the last Olympics when Ji Xin Peng was going through unnoticed until he beat Taufik in the q/f stage.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes Boonsak won deservingly. His win is a tremendous boost to Thai badminton. Thailand has contributed much to world badminton through the services of the Charoeon Wattanasing (?), himself a great singles player and Thailand's involvement in the IBF as the President is a Thai.

If Ronald had won, it will also be a triumph for Singapore badminton and enable us to move to a higher plane as getting more support (from parents, volunteers, officials and well wishers) and sponsorship will be much easier. But already Ronald has done Singapore proud and got Singaporeans and the press excited about his performance thus far. Now, we have to see whether his other half, Li Jiawei, can move into the QF of the Olympics table-tennis singles tournament and subsequently win a medal! :)

11. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Thank you for putting it so succinctly, Cheung. I totally agree.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In an interview over TV, Ronald accepted the defeat graciously by saying Boonsak, whom he has beaten in three previous occasions, played better and deserved to win.

Ronald blamed it on his loss of rhythm as he was affected by the draught (draft) which destroyed his shot-making. Furthermore, Boonsak was playing really well and was in control for the major part of the game. Boonsak's net play was devastating and many times further aided by the net cord for clear winners.

Although he may not admit, I agree that Ronald was mentally tired after all the excitement and pressure from the media and supporters back home expecting a medal to break our 44 years' of Olympic drought! This has unwittingly sapped his nervous energy and it translated in him making lethargic movements on court and committing uncharacteristic errors!

I feel that Ronald must learn how to handle this aspect of the game in his future preparations. Yes, skill-wise Ronald can match the best but mental-wise there is still some way to go! :eek:

13. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    If Ronald has some way to go mentally then Lin Dan has a long way to go...

:mad:

But I'm happy that it was Ronald who beat Lin Dan and not someone else.

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Amazing!!! Now Boonsak surrenders meekly to Taufik 9-15, 2-15.

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Taufik is on fire. What a waste for Choon Hann, I wonder what would have happened if Choon Hann had triumphed instead. He was the only one that dragged Taufik to rubber. :(