Question on service

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xofrevlis, Aug 18, 2004.

1. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    The other day I was playing at my local club and a newcomer had come along and pointed out that my service was illegal.

He said that I'm not allowed to make contact between the shuttle and strings of my racket whilst in my ready-to-serve position before flicking my racket back and then forwards to complete the service.
    I've played badminton at quite a lot of places with experienced people for the past year and haven't heard a single complaint and reading the laws of badminton still hasn't made me sure either.
    Someone enlighten me, please.
    Cheers. :p

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    The rules state that the serve starts with the first forward movement of the racket towards the shuttle.

Doesn't say anything about what you do with the shuttle before then.

In fact, I think the rules do not explicitly prohibit your partner from holding the shuttle when you serve...

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

nothing in the laws say your racquet has to move backwards as part of a legal service.

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    That's why I have a copy of the rules with me these days. I concur with the previous posters, you shouldn't have to move back if you don't want. It's fine to just launch it with the shuttle on the strings in one flick motion.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think I mis-read the first post. I originally thought it was saying that someone had said that you must have a backswing as part of your service.

Looking again, it is asking about whether you can touch the shuttle with the racquet when you are in the ready-to-serve position.

As has been said, the serve does not begin until the racquet moves forward.

From the ready position, if you go back then forward that should be legal.

From the ready position, if you go only go forward that would be a sling shot and a fault.

6. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    xofrevlis,

Could you describe in more detail what you are doing on serve? From my understanding you are you touching the shuttle with your racquet, then backswinging, then forward swinging and hitting the shuttle again on the forward swing?

I don't think that's a fault, since the laws don't specify that you can't touch the shuttle before you start your back swing/forward swing motion.

7. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Alright, thanks for the reply, all.
    My opponent pointed out that I was not allowed to touch the shuttle with my racket before my serve has got underway.
    My routine is:

Shuttle in front of me and racket touching cork with strings.
    Bring shuttle and racket, still on contact up to waist height and hold to prepare for serve.
    Swing racket back and then forward to serve.