Badminton text adventure game

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigredlemon, Aug 19, 2004.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Would there be any interest in a badminton-oriented text adventure game?
    It'll be a look like a multiplayer RPG game, but text based and turn based.

It'll be something like this:

you start off with skill points to distribute amongst your character's skill categories: power, endurance, speed, shot accuracy, deception, etc

You can play tournaments to earn money, and use it to buy the latest experimental racquets, shoes, etc, or use it to buy coaching (increase your skill categories.)

actualy game play will be turn based, and against a computer.

i.e. you can pick to serve high or low. computer returns high to the back. you are 90% sure it is in. do you: smash it, drive it, drop it, or see if it lands out. you pick one action. the result of your choice depends on luck and on your skills. then the computer responds. the process repeats itself as needed.

you are given 10 time units per day. it takes time to train or play in tournaments. (time units keeps it fair, so busy people won't lag behind, and people with too much free time can't as easily build super-players.)

you'll be able to see how your win-lose ratio stacks against everyone else. You can also challenge other players (the challenged player will be controlled by computer.) Every 4 months, a new season starts.

there could also be teams "clans" that you can join. i have some ideas on that but i'll explain it later. It won't have a large impact on the game though.

I've also got some other ideas (play vs other users, reputation points, charisma as a skill, sponsorship, etc.)

what do you guys think? is there a significant interest in this to justify the time it takes to write the code?

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    someone is not enjoying his summer enough :D

3. bigredlemon

i was being serious :eek:

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Isn't this like Championship manager combined with Nikefrestyle Magia or something?? Sounds interesting

5. bigredlemon

whats championship manager? wasnt that a application used to manage actual tournaments?

this will be more of an RPG...

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
  7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    HEHE YEA I agree!! Lol i was addicted to Championship manager. WAS cause I got bored of it. I went through 5 seasons with Paris St German. Won Every cup availabe. Became france manager also and won everythin posisble. Only lost 5 - 8 times in my whole career. Got really boring after a while.

Possibly badminton could be much better provided the equipment needed. Maybe try modding some tennis game or something.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, I programmed this sort of game when I was younger... but it is a lot of work to get it realistic and interesting!
    And unfortunately, I don't have the code anymore... :(

I also used to be a fan of the CM serie, and I thought of the idea of a badminton management game where you would take in charge a national team (for ex) and hire trainers, select players and send them to the different tournaments etc...

The problem is that it represents a lot of work!! :eek: