Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by V1lau
    Overall *(INA,NED) 90% So.K 93% Den 15% GB 99.5%
    *I count mia audina as INA, also rank-relative to expectation
    Change So.K 75% forgot about XD (KMD,RA) biggest upset in the tournament, maybe ever imo worse than Lin Dan
    KDM best badminton partner ever?
    got my vote maybe new thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expectation for DEN
    MS Gold or silver (Peter Gade) 60% lost to gold medal winner
    WS silver or bronze (Camilla Martin) -75% lost first round..WTF
    MD silver and bronze Lar/jr silver, jens/mar bronze 0% medal or bust
    XD silver or bronze jonas r, ro bronze 75% right position, wrong team
    all they got was one stinking bronze IMO =15%
    bronze medal winner not even on my list BOOOOO, Jeers
    Well, you obviously had EXTREMELY HIGH expectations for Denmark!!!
    You can't blame them for not acheiving unrealistically high expectations!
    The overall danish results correspond to their world rankings (with a few upsets both ways), so objectively their global performance was OK, neither good, neither bad...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chn overall 70% Men 0% Women 100% Unisex 90%
    Mens Singles 20%
    Losing to relative no namers, and not making it to the semi 30%
    -10% for not sending xia xuanze basically the only battle-harden commodity
    Mens Doubles 50%
    CY & FH- should of made it to at least semi 50%, play smart please!!!
    ZB & SY- angry KIM & HA too good, too bad for u guys 60% good run
    Womens Singles 99%
    Won the gold and bronze, just missing one medal...great job
    Womens Doubles 99.5%
    Won the gold and silver, just missing one medal again...great job
    Mixed Doubles 90%
    Won the gold, should have got 2 medals, opps...still good
    Overall *(INA,NED) 90% So.K 93% Den 15% GB 99.5%
    *I count mia audina as INA, also rank-relative to expectation
    1. MS did not lose to no namers. Of course, they should beat Susilo, Park (well, hard to say, as he kept killing higher rank players since earlier this yr), Shon (recovered from injury) to live up to their expectation, but no namers??? From when the top 15s all become no namers???

2. I doubt Zhao/Chen was really aiming for a medal this time. They might be consistent to reach final 8 or even final 4, but that's about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expectation for DEN
    MS Gold or silver (Peter Gade) 60% lost to gold medal winner
    WS silver or bronze (Camilla Martin) -75% lost first round..WTF
    MD silver and bronze Lar/jr silver, jens/mar bronze 0% medal or bust
    XD silver or bronze jonas r, ro bronze 75% right position, wrong team
    all they got was one stinking bronze IMO =15%
    bronze medal winner not even on my list BOOOOO, Jeers
    1. Peter Gade is still good, but hardly could be the top 3 anymore.

2. Martin's form is signicantly down recent months, not surprised to see her early exist, even though, 1st round is kinda harsh.

3. XD pairs, with the 2 KOR and 2 CHN pairs, the silver, or even bronze is hard...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i think v1lau's expectation was a bit optimistic. however, at the beginning of the Olympics, i did expect DEN to get one gold medal from either MD or MS. seeing them only coming up with Bronzes was actually surprising to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    1. MS did not lose to no namers. Of course, they should beat Susilo, Park (well, hard to say, as he kept killing higher rank players since earlier this yr), Shon (recovered from injury) to live up to their expectation, but no namers??? From when the top 15s all become no namers???

2. I doubt Zhao/Chen was really aiming for a medal this time. They might be consistent to reach final 8 or even final 4, but that's about it.
    RELATIVE, compared to LIN DAN, Ronald is a nonamer wasn't even mentioned to win the gold, spent all his energy to beat LD and then bombed out to boonsak, Park compared to Bao Chunli is a nonamer and after the fall of LD I thought BC would lift his game but o well...If you lose, lose to at least a Taufik or Gade or to either of your countrymen...just sad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Well, you obviously had EXTREMELY HIGH expectations for Denmark!!!
    You can't blame them for not acheiving unrealistically high expectations!
    The overall danish results correspond to their world rankings (with a few upsets both ways), so objectively their global performance was OK, neither good, neither bad...
    This is the olympics, great performances are expected from your aces, as for the comment of Peter Gade, have you not watch the TC this year, he torched everyones #1 and only lost to Lin Dan in 3 Games or In the All England where he got second behind Lin Dan also in a tough 3 games and killed Taufik in 2 straight games. To say he is not top 3 thats ridiculous. As for the doubles...lets see the incoming world champions and the all england champions, yeah I expect them to medal and I expect them to lose to KDM & HTK not korean #2,#3...Camilla..maybe she put too much pressure on herself, but for a last olympics and losing to a native european, who she hasn't lost to her continent in I don't know how long. I think my expectation is right in line with their own.
    Last edited by V1lau; 08-24-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ye333
    I just fail to see any bright future in these two pairs.
    Fu/Cai seem never think and Sang/Zhang lack power and speed.
    They can go no where near the level of those dominating pairs. And
    they are not very young. Around their age, Candra/Sigit are World
    Champions and play fabulously. And don't forget Cai/Fu got
    beaten by a young Indo pair recently.
    True. Even in the 80's, Park/Kim and Razif/Jalani had already won All-England by that age. Maybe the new Chinese pairs are more like Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi, who only came to prominence when they were in the mid-20's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the olympics, great performances are expected from your aces, as for the comment of Peter Gade, have you not watch the TC this year, he torched everyones #1 and only lost to Lin Dan in 3 Games or In the All England where he got second behind Lin Dan also in a tough 3 games and killed Taufik in 2 straight games. To say he is not top 3 thats ridiculous.
    You musn't be talking of this year's Thomas Cup... Peter Gade was severely thrashed by Sony in the semis and lost to Lin Dan in two sets in the final...
    He has never proved any capacity of winning in MAJOR events (world champs, olympics).
    His defeat to Taufik in quarter finals is logical, he reached the level you could expect from his seeding.

As for the doubles...lets see the incoming world champions and the all england champions, yeah I expect them to medal and I expect them to lose to KDM & HTK not korean #2,#3...
    Lars/JR was disappointing, no dought... but Jens/Martin upset Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng to make it to the last four which was a very good performance! (the chinese pair was one of the big favourites)

Camilla..maybe she put too much pressure on herself, but for a last olympics and losing to a native european, who she hasn't lost to her continent in I don't know how long. I think my expectation is right in line with their own.
    Camilla has been performing really badly for at least one year now. Once again she underperformed in the olympics... OK this is a disappointing performance!

But don't forget the great run of both mixed doubles pairs, beating Kim/Ra on one side, Kim/Lee and Widianto/Marissa on the other... this was totally unexpected!

Globally : According to the seedings, Denmark could expect one medal (gold), they got one (bronze) and two unexpected fourth places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right about gade, TC I had to rewatch it...but I still think he played well and he was on form coming into greece...But he was 6-1(now 6-2) against Taufik and with Lin Dan out, he immediatly in my opinion jumped to the head of class...I bet you he was thinking the same thing.
    I won't budge on the MD, I think they should have done better, i personally didn't think CY and FH are that good, they have a weak kick...always start strong, then have nothing left to finish...I would have love to see KDM & HTK against JR/Lars, so even in height and skills and game...very very disappointed...Mixed after the fav got beating thought they had good chance for silver or gold.
    1 gold,silver, and bronze=100% 2 Silver=70% 1 bronze=15%
    1 gold, bronze=90% 1 Silver=50%
    1 gold=80% 3 Bronze=45%
    2 Silver and 1 bronze=75% 2 Bronze=30%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly...this is the olympics, it's amazing to even be qualified to participate. I was just really looking forward to a good Indonesian vs China match. Like Lin Dan vs Taufik/Sony. Didn't happen There was an uneven draw, sure Shon did play good, but nowhere as great as Taufik compared to how he normally plays. The MS Final wasn't even a close match. Taufik was several levels above Shon. We're the one's to miss out... I would say the best gold matches had to be given to WS and XD finals.

I hope that China will learn from this experience, perhaps hiring a physchiatrist would help? Also agree with the MD not having enough competition for regular practise and play like the women do. However, this is only a beginning for China's MD, I'm sure they will be taking many notes from the Indonesians and the Koreans. Overall I would rate China an 80%... They won 3 / 5 golds and a silver and bronze, but how the Men got shut out, it is inexcusable. Completely dragged the average down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    Also agree with the MD not having enough competition for regular practise and play like the women do.
    exactly, only 2 MD pairs qualified...while all 3 women's spots were taken..
    never mind, i guess the men can only improve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2