CHN grade report.

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by LazyBuddy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With Ra/Lee being eliminated from the WD final, it's the time to give the final grade to CHN team. Here's mine:

MS: 50/100

Maybe this is the most disappoint event for CHN team this year. With high expectation in Lin and Bao, both of them did not even get to final 8. It's a good but painful learning experience for the young guns. Hopefully they will shine in 2008. LYB is going to face tons of "???" for selecting Chen over Xia.

MD: 70/100

They did not go to the final. However, ppl need to reliazed the quick rising Fu/Cai and Sang/Zheng are still not anywhere near dominating yet. It takes time for them to grow. They did beat quality opponents (i.e. Chan/Chew), and lost to even more experienced and skillful pairs. Good learning experience, and 1 thing to notice, most of the final 4s won't play 2008, but there 2 pairs will...

WS: 90/100

All 3 got to final 4, but if not, that will be a big bomb. The only "down" might be Gong lost Mia, more due to her own fault. Well, Zhang got the final gold, which complete her personal resume.

WD: 100/100

What else??? Zhang/Yang just trashed Ra/Lee to give at least 1 CHN internal match for final. Well, even if Zhao/Wei might lost to Ra/Lee in Bronze, but the WD dominance is continue, especially after Ra's retirement.

XD: 90/100

Surprise, surprise. CHN use this "gift" (Kim/Ra lost to JR) to make up their embarrassing defeat in MS. Zhang/Gao captured the golden chance. Even though, they did get trouble in the final, but at least, they held on. If Zhang has more variety in his strokes, the final could be a 1 side blow out (1st set). At least, LYB can concentrate for MS selection explaination, but don't have to shout at Gao/Zhang at the same time now...

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I agree with just about everything except Men's singles... I think for one Chinese to not even get into the medal rounds is a failure as China are defending gold and bronze medallists from Sydney. Their men are rated favorites coming in and all exit before the last 4.

I think they didn't pass the grade: sub 50/100.

3. gcb4ever

gcb4ever Regular Member

Zhang Ning the savior

Zhang Ning may have single-handedly saved the entire Chinese
    team. I think she provided just the needed inspiration for Zhang/Gao
    to pull through in the XD as well as the success of the WD today.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I just fail to see any bright future in these two pairs.
    Fu/Cai seem never think and Sang/Zhang lack power and speed.
    They can go no where near the level of those dominating pairs. And
    they are not very young. Around their age, Candra/Sigit are World
    Champions and play fabulously. And don't forget Cai/Fu got
    beaten by a young Indo pair recently.

Cai/Fu and Sang/Zheng are the first step on China's way to understand
    MD games. My hope is that Mr. Tang still have enough energy to help the next generation Chinese MDs. Maybe in 2008 there will be surprises from Chinese MDs... :)

5. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I agree that I don't see either being dominate, in the near future...but I do see them both being like the malaysian pair, being extremely consistent just not great...but as the first true good chinese pair, their play will almost inspire and create even better teams for china as younger players will get to play world class players...and learn from them...giving them a head start in what to expect...I believe in 2008 we will see another much more dominate team...as china has so much talent to choose from!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yah, chinese MS deserve a failing grade. 35 to 40/100

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tend to agree with Hugo on this one. a pass only if they get into semi-final. but one player getting knocked out on each round from 1/32 -> 1/16 -> 1/8 doesn't deserve a passing grade imho esp considering the ranking, performance prior, and thus expectation.

8. rayeraye

rayeraye Regular Member

the sad thing is tang xianhu is retiring after the olympics due to his sickness.:(

9. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    The FHF and CY pair play fast because they played like robots, and they are not consistent.... Im very disappointed with them after the olympics

the mens double final match is another set back, the lower ranked korean pairs played just so defensively and all credits go 2 Ha, he's definitely the man of the match, so quick to the net and smash so so so hard

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Mixed doubles_ The second chinese pair had beaten the English before but lost in straight games. Zhang/Jun should have won the final in two but were mentally very poor (when you consider they are both far more powerful than their english opponents) , chinese mixed seem to put little thought into return serve /tactics, rely on overall power/speed superiority to win.

Mens doubles - they have the game to beat the top pairs but not the tactics / ability to play under pressure.

Mens singles - if you had to name 5 potential winners of the ms probably all 3 chinese would be in it, so to not make a semi is a disaster. Again they appear to have the power /shots but the mental side??

W S - SHould have got Gold, Silver, lucky to get gold , bromze, again the first time in a long time their hold on the top two spots has been seriousley challanged is at the biggest event.

WD- a formality and the future looks bleak for wd interest with Ra gone.

Overall the pressure has brought the chinese down to the level of the other nations. Poor tactics/ mental side lets them down

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem for CHN MD is, lack of "true" competition in practice. MD super power KOR, DEN, IND all have mult. pairs who can take the title on any given day. Their situation is like CHN WS, WD, as they actually facing much stronger opponent(s) in daily practice rather than the Opens, Olympics or WC.

To improve CHN MD, they need to develop mult. pairs (3-4 at least) to keep the overall standard up. Just rely on 1-2 pairs, and hope to get a lucky draw and play on a lucky day can't let them go deep.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the WS is being under rated. Ok, Mia beat Gong, and put on a fight against Zhang in final. Then? I think her threat to CHN is even less than Ra/Lee to CHN WD 3 pairs.

Overall, CHN WS is way too dominating. 3 players all in final 4, what else we can expect? True, Gong lost to Mia, but again, it's just 1 game, not like Mia can beat every CHN lady like w/o sweat. It's might just be a tough day for Gong, or other various reasons. Remember, the infection Gong suffered in Yiyang did bother her daily practice right before Olympics...

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    But not as Mentally poor as GB! At 11-8 up GB were not looking like losing, but managed too.

At a low level, when you are improving the way you play is more important than the result, but at the top level, winning is. The fact is CHN got 3/5 gold medals all to themselves.

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think the Gb pair were slightly negative at the end, particularly robertson on return of serve (the point where he left the low serve and then tried to play it springs to mind :( )

Still I think if the chinese had played well with good tactics the gb pair would not have got in the game. Put Emms on against the chinese women in womens doubles and she really can't compete, yet the chinese pair did little to test emms during the game, emms played well at the net , played much better tactical mixed than the chinese, Zhang seemed only to smash at emms, which was ok when he got her racket shoulder but often she was able to drive back the smash. The chinese were poorly organised on first three shots compared with gb who had clear tactics, wide low serves from NR, emms cutting out many shots with winning blocks.

I don't think Mia expected to make the final, surely she would have only played singles if so. The fact is she came within a few points of taking gold. On form china should have taken gold and silver in ws.

In the mens events , which are after all the premier events china came away with nothing.

15. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Chn overall 70% :confused: Men 0% Women 100% Unisex 90%
    Mens Singles 20% :crying:
    Losing to relative no namers, and not making it to the semi 30%
    -10% for not sending xia xuanze basically the only battle-harden commodity
    Mens Doubles 50% :eek:
    CY & FH- should of made it to at least semi 50%, play smart please!!! :crying:
    ZB & SY- angry KIM & HA too good, too bad for u guys 60% good run
    Womens Singles 99% :cool:
    Won the gold and bronze, just missing one medal...great job
    Womens Doubles 99.5% :p
    Won the gold and silver, just missing one medal again...great job
    Mixed Doubles 90% ;)
    Won the gold, should have got 2 medals, opps...still good
    Overall *(INA,NED) 90% So.K 93% Den 15% GB 99.5%
    *I count mia audina as INA, also rank-relative to expectation

#15 V1lau, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  16. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I'm pretty sure Mia was aiming for the GOLD in WS!!

????? :confused:
    Denmark performed OK imo : WS was disappointing, MS was normal, MD was normal (disappointment for Lars/JR but good surprise for Jens/Martin), WD... normal!, XD was great! (two pairs in the semis)

17. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

My expectation for DEN
    MS Gold or silver (Peter Gade) 60% lost to gold medal winner
    WS silver or bronze (Camilla Martin) -75% lost first round..WTF
    MD silver and bronze Lar/jr silver, jens/mar bronze 0% medal or bust
    XD silver or bronze jonas r, ro bronze 75% right position, wrong team
    all they got was one stinking bronze :crying: IMO =15%
    bronze medal winner not even on my list BOOOOO, Jeers

#17 V1lau, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  18. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Change So.K 75% forgot about XD (KMD,RA) biggest upset in the tournament, maybe ever imo worse than Lin Dan
    KDM best badminton partner ever?
    got my vote maybe new thread

19. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, you obviously had EXTREMELY HIGH expectations for Denmark!!! :eek:
    You can't blame them for not acheiving unrealistically high expectations! :rolleyes:
    The overall danish results correspond to their world rankings (with a few upsets both ways), so objectively their global performance was OK, neither good, neither bad...

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. MS did not lose to no namers. Of course, they should beat Susilo, Park (well, hard to say, as he kept killing higher rank players since earlier this yr), Shon (recovered from injury) to live up to their expectation, but no namers??? From when the top 15s all become no namers???

2. I doubt Zhao/Chen was really aiming for a medal this time. They might be consistent to reach final 8 or even final 4, but that's about it.