Humour, Even after defeat...

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Matt Ross, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I just found this on the BA of E website, and its good to see in such a huge tournament, there is still a great deal of friendly banter between them all..

10 minutes after the semi-final victory Finn`s mobile received an incoming text message from the Danish National Coach, Steen Pedersen who was courtside throughout the match. The message loses nothing in translation and said simply ' Congratulations Ass-holes'! While success and failure, victory and defeat can still be met with humour, camaraderie and mutual respect, the spirit of the Olympic ideal is still alive and well - at least within our sport.'

I find this highly amusing actually!!

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Maybe they were friends.. thats why he texted him that msg.

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Course they are, i just find it amusing that after losing in the semi-final of the biggest tournament, he can pull a laugh.

Maybe my crap sense of hunour, i dont know... :eek:

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I don't know Steen Pederson, but he looks like a man with humour. Maybe it is his cheeky grin :D

5. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Haaa....try sending that kind of text msg to LYB. :D :D

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    gimme his number. i will let you what he says.. ;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wouldn't like to tread on dangerous waters! ;) Because of cultural differences, a word can mean different things to different people, especially so if the receiver or his interpretator doesn't understand English that well. That's why in Matt's example, it was perfectly ok to use those words between very good friends and no eruption happened.

I think, in general, people of different cultures still like to encourage the underdogs. I thought I read that the Indonesians were cheering the Danes in the TC final against the Chinese. And remember all the hype about how dangerous it was to play in Jakarta just before the TC final round so much so some countries were hesitating whether to compete. But it all turned out so well and the Danes were well-received and respected by the badminton-loving country.

And I'm sure over the years national players from different countries must have made good friends among themselves and some of them returned after retirement to serve in the IBF and replay their happy memories again. :D

8. AthensMan

AthensMan Regular Member

Your sense of humour is not crap, just British ;)

At one of the matches I saw a banner in the hall, the guy holding it was British, and the banner read "I hate banners" :D

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Thats a good one, we Brits do have humour all to ourselves sometimes because it is so dry!

Also Gail and Nathan play club badminton in Denmark, so it's a certainty they know each other very well.

Nice text but I'd still like Kwun to send it to LYB, pity is it's a bit late, and it would have been a totally different kind of humour :eek: