Newbie searching for racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sherlock2101, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Sherlock2101

Sherlock2101 New Member

hi all.
    After watching the olympics, I now want to play badminton again but i dont have a racket. I've searched the forums for recommendation but i'm confused with all the names, power, strings, etc. Back in Indonesia i just pick up a racket and went to the nearest open field and play. I want a nice all around racket that i could use for recreation or competition and I also need somebody to play with if someone is around Lake Forest CA just pm me, i really want to play..

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you have a budget? for a beginner living in the US, i say anything around US$50-80 should be a good racket to start. it really doesn't matter which one you chooses as long as you have fun playing the game.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Do you have any badminton shop around?? I thought CA has some badminton shops there, and you might want to go to the shop and give some racquets a try :)

4. Sherlock2101

Sherlock2101 New Member

I've search around but can't seem to find any store around me. I found badmintonalley but that is too far away for me. Any recommendation where i should look??

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. You can look for some local badminton club, sometimes, a club has its own pro-shop, which sells rackets.

2. Not sure about ur skill lvl, therefore, I am afraid that we can't give too much useful suggestions at this moment. However, if u just play it for fun or fairly lower lvl competition, I would suggest go with racket around US$60-100 range, should be good enough. Personally, I don't think there's a need to shot for top of line (US$200+) rackets at this moment.

6. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Racket recommendation

I would not bother with a top end performance racket, which a shop owner might try to fob off on you.

Just stick to the price ranges given above and a good manufacturer and you should be fine. Be wary of some big names though, as companies like Prince, Karakal and Browning might make great products elsewhere but don't make very good badminton rackets.

Yonex is the best, but pricey. They have a lot of lower end rackets that are good value. I think the MP (Muscle Power) - 30 is a pretty good racket. Also, the top of the Isometric series are quite good too and should fall within your budget. This used to be the VF-90 which was excellent, but I think it's been replaced by a new Iso-75MFLT which I haven't actually played with (Yonex rackets come in series of 3-5 rackets, and within each range the rackets vary from top to bottom - you can check them out at Yonex.com)

Then there are Asian companies like Winex who make rackets that are very similar to Yonex but are a bit cheaper.