User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 57
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Misbun: I will go if I have to

    NATIONAL singles coach Misbun Sidek’s job is hanging in the balance.

    The coach who has admitted failure in the Athens Olympics, has left his fate in the hands of his employers, the National Sports Council.

    "It's the NSC who will have to decide if I stay or go," said Misbun at the Games Village yesterday, clearly indicating from this statement that he wasn't going to quit.

    It is understood that there are intentions to employ a new singles coach, who is said to be a foreigner. The highly-placed source, in not revealing his identity, however said they already have a candidate in mind.

    Whatever the outcome, whether he stays or goes, Misbun has made some recommendations to Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said who has called for a post-mortem.

    "If we are truly interested in wanting to succeed on this stage, or in other world class tournaments, we must be prepared to invest and change our concept of management.

    "For one, like the Chinese and the Indonesians, we too must be prepared to assign more coaches to players. One coach must be assigned to a maximum of only two players.

    "I am mentally exhausted, having to look at three men singles players — Wong Choong Hann, Roslin Hashim, and Lee Chong Wei," said Misbun.

    Unlike the Malaysians, the Indonesians are here with coaches who focus on one player each. While Joko Suprianto looks after Soni Dwi Kuncoro, Mulyo Handoyo is Taufik Hidayat's personal coach.

    "I would have liked to have had Rashid (Sidek) here as well to look at (Lee) Chong Wei, and I also believe that (Cheah) Soon Kit should have been here as well to handle the women's doubles.

    "Doubles coach (Yap) Kim Hock had to look at both the men's doubles pairs and the women's doubles as well.

    "At this level of competition, players need very specialised attention, it's crucial. When you are looking at so many players, a coach may miss something and that could prove costly in matches," he explained.

    Apparently, he had made this recommendation to the BA of Malaysia very much earlier, but lack of funds stood in the way.

    "I am not making excuses for myself or the players, but I believe we would all have done better here if we had more resources at our disposal.

    "But that's history now. What's important now, that is if we want to succeed in world meets, is to invest more in preparation of players, and change the way we think." And he couldn't have been more spot on than that.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hope Misbun stays, and I agree with him about having more attention to less players.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's a stupid excuse from misbun, all the players are wise and mature enough to stand on their own. They are all pros and it's not like they need babysitting for all tournaments.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    I think it's a stupid excuse from misbun, all the players are wise and mature enough to stand on their own. They are all pros and it's not like they need babysitting for all tournaments.
    Having personal coach or not has nothing to do with wise and mature things. It's up to the players themselves actually.

    But, IMHO it's better to have personal coach. They only concern about your development and he knows what is right for you.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flikflak
    Having personal coach or not has nothing to do with wise and mature things. It's up to the players themselves actually.

    But, IMHO it's better to have personal coach. They only concern about your development and he knows what is right for you.

    I cannot agree with Misbun that more or individual coaches was the difference. I think the Chinese always has a singles coach (and LYB) when their singles play.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    I think it's a stupid excuse from misbun, all the players are wise and mature enough to stand on their own. They are all pros and it's not like they need babysitting for all tournaments.
    I think the point of babysitting is completely off the mark.

    Everybody can be a pro. However, there can be patterns that a coach can spot that a player may not realise is a weakness. It may only occur against certain opponents as well.

    Look at tennis and the high standards that they have set. I think Roger Federer is almost unique in not having a personal coach. Practically all the top players do. Golf is another example.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    UK - London, Birmingham
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I personally think players should be taught to fend for themselves. Tactics and mental play should be focused on as much as the physical side. Clearly some high ranking players are still very dependent on their coach, when things are not going their way..

    On the other hand, it is good for TV coverage. Something to talk about during breaks, plus the coaches get more attention too.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    I think the point of babysitting is completely off the mark.

    Everybody can be a pro. However, there can be patterns that a coach can spot that a player may not realise is a weakness. It may only occur against certain opponents as well.

    Look at tennis and the high standards that they have set. I think Roger Federer is almost unique in not having a personal coach. Practically all the top players do. Golf is another example.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would have thought that at that stage in their sporting career each player or pairing would have their own coach.

    I am quite surprised to find it otherwise

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rejang
    I cannot agree with Misbun that more or individual coaches was the difference. I think the Chinese always has a singles coach (and LYB) when their singles play.
    that coach must be... Tang Xue Hua? he's famous coach.

    Yup, it's up to the players. If they have suited with his methods of training and don't require special attention then no need for personal coach.

    Maybe they still want to. But only focused on very special reason, whatever it is?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    These are all excuses.

    IMHO and no offence intended, i think the current batch of players and coaches are hopeless.

    No matter what changes are implemented now, things will remain as it is. The Malaysians have had top notch coaches before such as Yang, Morten, Park Ju Bong, etc and time and again, they have failed.

    And, it is forever the Malaysian style/habit to be reactive rather than pro-active. They will change only when something bad has happened.

    Sadly, i am a Malaysian, a frustrated one.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't hear the Malaysian news recently..... so I don't know....

    where are the two brothers Roslin, Hafiz?

  12. #12
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,918
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    i was actually expecting better results from WongCH and the Choong/Lee combo in the Olympics. i thought Choong/Lee could've ended up on the podium considering their good run in recent years and being veterans be able to handle the pressure of the biggest game.

    but they fell to eventual silver medalists Lee/Yoo.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Roslin is the first round casulty in the Olyimpic pursuit. Hafiz has been losing since he won the AE which was about one (two) year ago.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i was actually expecting better results from WongCH and the Choong/Lee combo in the Olympics. i thought Choong/Lee could've ended up on the podium considering their good run in recent years and being veterans be able to handle the pressure of the biggest game.

    but they fell to eventual silver medalists Lee/Yoo.
    Same here! I was having high expectation then. High expectation leads to more frustration.

    Then again, in the spirit of Olympic, i think i should be happy no matter the Malaysian failed desperately. The spirit of participation and completion. Cheers!

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizbit
    I personally think players should be taught to fend for themselves. Tactics and mental play should be focused on as much as the physical side. Clearly some high ranking players are still very dependent on their coach, when things are not going their way..

    On the other hand, it is good for TV coverage. Something to talk about during breaks, plus the coaches get more attention too.
    Well, everybody is different.

    An athelete has many facets that ultimately decides their performance. They may be relatively weaker in some areas than others. Some of these areas may need the extra attention of a coach. Pressure also does different things to different people. Some people react by performing better. Some people absolutely crumble. So why not have a personal coach to help improve performance?

    May I point out that the eventual winner of the mens singles Olympic games this year has his own coach....

    The point of having a coach is to get the optimum performance out of a player. Maybe Misbun is right in that the time he had divided amongst the 3 players was too little. Previously he only had two, of which one won the All England. As for their other performances, perhaps most people will not object the players' own psychology have influenced their results.

    But with WCH and LCW, do they lack the hunger? Perhaps not...

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i was actually expecting better results from WongCH and the Choong/Lee combo in the Olympics. i thought Choong/Lee could've ended up on the podium considering their good run in recent years and being veterans be able to handle the pressure of the biggest game.

    but they fell to eventual silver medalists Lee/Yoo.
    It was a totally open field. Every pair had a chance of beating any other pair. (The exception is Ha/Kim vs Lee/Yoo - Lee/Yoo never win!) Some pair has to lose..

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaclyn
    NATIONAL singles coach Misbun Sidek’s job is hanging in the balance.

    The coach who has admitted failure in the Athens Olympics, has left his fate in the hands of his employers, the National Sports Council.

    "It's the NSC who will have to decide if I stay or go," said Misbun at the Games Village yesterday, clearly indicating from this statement that he wasn't going to quit.

    It is understood that there are intentions to employ a new singles coach, who is said to be a foreigner. The highly-placed source, in not revealing his identity, however said they already have a candidate in mind.

    Whatever the outcome, whether he stays or goes, Misbun has made some recommendations to Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said who has called for a post-mortem.

    "If we are truly interested in wanting to succeed on this stage, or in other world class tournaments, we must be prepared to invest and change our concept of management.

    "For one, like the Chinese and the Indonesians, we too must be prepared to assign more coaches to players. One coach must be assigned to a maximum of only two players.

    "I am mentally exhausted, having to look at three men singles players — Wong Choong Hann, Roslin Hashim, and Lee Chong Wei," said Misbun.

    Unlike the Malaysians, the Indonesians are here with coaches who focus on one player each. While Joko Suprianto looks after Soni Dwi Kuncoro, Mulyo Handoyo is Taufik Hidayat's personal coach.

    "I would have liked to have had Rashid (Sidek) here as well to look at (Lee) Chong Wei, and I also believe that (Cheah) Soon Kit should have been here as well to handle the women's doubles.

    "Doubles coach (Yap) Kim Hock had to look at both the men's doubles pairs and the women's doubles as well.

    "At this level of competition, players need very specialised attention, it's crucial. When you are looking at so many players, a coach may miss something and that could prove costly in matches," he explained.

    Apparently, he had made this recommendation to the BA of Malaysia very much earlier, but lack of funds stood in the way.

    "I am not making excuses for myself or the players, but I believe we would all have done better here if we had more resources at our disposal.

    "But that's history now. What's important now, that is if we want to succeed in world meets, is to invest more in preparation of players, and change the way we think." And he couldn't have been more spot on than that.
    GO MISBUN!!! BYE BYE!!! SAYONARA!!! ALOHA!!!! ARRIVEDERCI!! ΑΝΤΙΟ!!! ADIÓS !!! 안녕 !!! 再见 !!! VAARWEL!!! AU REVOIR!!! AUF WIEDERSEHEN!!! さようなら!!! ADEUS!!! SELAMAT TINGGAL!!!

    WE DON'T NEED YOU!! YOU JUST S*** IN MY OPINION. NOT WILLING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!

    Badminton Association Malaysia should employ better people. More technology should be involved in training out players. It comes down to a proper physio, equipment, speciality coaches like someone to practice smashes with the players, someone to coach service, someone for netplay etc etc, psychological analysis of an athelete, etc.

    They should take a leaf out of Arsene Wenger's book. The current manager of Arsenal FC in England. When he came everything changed. The diet, the coaches (half of them were replaced), the rooms were repainted to beige instead of fiery red, more physical training, less junk food consumption, less alcohol, better pitches to play on, proper area to diagnose players injuries etc etc.

    This is how modern sports training should be carried out not 'kampung' style training. That's how one should improve sports. If your coaches aren't up to it, GET FOREIGN ONES WHO ARE DAMN WELL BETTER.

    Just a thought.

    Anyone agrees / disagrees? Please put your views.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Misbun's new role in the BAM
    By Bbn in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 6
    : 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM
  2. Misbun's Proteges
    By Bbn in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 23
    : 01-10-2011, 05:05 AM
  3. LCW+Misbun combination
    By ixory in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 266
    : 01-05-2011, 02:09 AM
  4. misbun sidek-help!!!
    By Anil Kishore in forum Malaysia
    Replies: 33
    : 09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
  5. MISBUN's REJUVENATION
    By X Ball in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 53
    : 05-07-2007, 05:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •