The Taufik story. can it end any better?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jun 11, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    now Taufik played, and won all the way to semi. he withdrew only due to an injury.

so Taufik could've won the whole thing, just that he couldn't continue.

from Taufik's point of view, he has not lost.

from PBSI's point of view, they didn't lose face coz Taufik didn't win. PBSI gets a nice icing because Hendrawan grabbed the title.

now both Taufik and PBSI can continue on their businesses.

can it end any better?

2. May

May Guest

it could, juz put ur mind to it, and u can find half a dozen or so endings.

3. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

But there may be something really wrong with PBSI officials... The article on chinabadminton.com said that they din even bother to take a look at Taufik after he got injured. Even a M'sian coach couldn't stand their attitude and said that Taufik's still only a 19 yr old kid. They ought to show more concern for their players.

So it's really still up to Taufik whether or not to end the problems wif PBSI.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the PBSI officials don't like Taufik. so that may be understandable.

my other question would be, did Taufik really injured himself? the report said he went to the hospital and was released soon after that. Cheung, any idea how serious the described injury is? and is it normal for that type of injury to recover so quickly?

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Hey hey, I wanted to translate this article as well. Looks like you beat me to it!

Oh well, the PBSI's reaction is understandable (I'm not saying that it's right though), considering all the nonsense that Taufik has given them. (So I'm exaggerating around here) but if Taufik's injury gets so bad that... erm... he can't play in future (touchwood!), they're gonna be the biggest losers after all. And that is despite all they said about having no regrets, even they did have to drop Taufik.

I just saw that SF replay. Poor Taufik... ok, so his atitude stinks but still... yeah yeah, there I go feeling sorry for ppl again.

6. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

So I think we're all the same, watch the live, rec it, watch it again and again, then watch the repeat telecast. hahaha..... and my friend thinks there's badminton on tv everyday.

Ya, I was so sad for him.... tho I wanted so much for Hendrawan to win, but not exactly in this manner. I think he really did injure himself. Because he was merely discharged, but not recovered. I think he supposedly can't walk properly still....

7. May

May Guest

dun be too soft-hearted(though i'm not saying u should be like me, who has a heart made from concrete).

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I can be a bitch when the situation calls for it too...

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Adductor muscle tear

Bear in mind I'm not a Sports Physician or physiotherapist but.... here's my opinion for what it's worth. (since u ask)

Adductor muscle is not one of the main muscles for flexing/extending legs. So theoretically, Taufik would be able to walk. An acute muscle tear can be felt and cause considerable discomfort partly because of reflex contraction within the muscle. I doubt he could continue to play the match with this muscle tear as the stress on the legs in badminton is tremendous. It would have been very surprising if he did need to stay in hospital as no other treatment apart from rest or physio could help. Certainly, one doesn't need to be an inpatient for that.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

thx.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we need to remember not to anger the two of you ladies then.

12. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT

I think Taufik was really injuried. When I think about that moment again, I still feel a bit sad ...

13. Al

Al Guest

Maybe it wasn't right for the PBSI officials' action or rather, inaction. But with Taufik's self-isolation for the last couple of months, it is 'understandable' (not necesarily acceptable). If you remember the last Asian C'ship where Taufik made lot of unnecassary comments and accusations, there was one particular report saying that he gave cold shoulder to the officials when they congratulated him for winning the match, something like he didn't bother to return their hi-5 and just walked away...

Or maybe the officials were waiting to see whether he was really injured? Nah....

14. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I have 3 matches of Taufik Hidayat and I never see him act unprefessionally on court, especially when you consider his age. He never give dirty look to the linesmen and he pad the back of Xia with his racquet when he lost all england 2000 final. In fact if I was Taufik, I wouldn't be that gracious because Xia greeted his coaches before shaken Taufik hand after the match. Just put your feet in Taufik shoes, you just lost in the final in a major tournament and you have to hang around on the court like a dump ass waiting for your opponent to shake your hand while he take off to greet his coaches, that is not a nice feeling. And I also don't understand why people so critic about Camilla Martin so much. Yes she does have a occassional outburst on court but she is only mad about herself not at anyone else. I get mad at myself too when I'm not playing good. And than there is Pete G who have dirty look and occassional outburts at the linesman and no one in this forum saying anything about that, sure he probably a nice guy but those linesman probably doing volunteer work, give them a break.

15. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Basically I agree with you on the viewpoint for Taufik. For Camilla, I think she had expressed her rude in a number of occasions, e.g. her speech to media to against Chinese players. In fact, she didn't act very polite on the court when she lose the game, e.g. the attitude she shaked hand with Gong in Sirdiman Final. However I personally don't against her very strongly - as you said, everyone may get mad, it is just her style.

However I do find Peter G always act like a gentlemen. Even he lose on a game, he may look upset (just like the WC final), but he still act polite to all people around.

16. May

May Guest

i quite agree with ricky, itz Camilla Martin who gets mad, not Gade.

17. May

May Guest

pride, the cause of many problems.

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Hey FG,

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Taufik's behaviour on court. I have seen him play in a lot of matches and I don't think he acts unprofessionally either, at least not in the presence of spectators. Basically my comments about him were regarding his recent tussle with the PBSI - which I certainly don't consider blameless either.

As for Camilla Martin, I've just recently recanted my remarks about her being a sore loser, accompanied by plenty of apologies. I suppose it is always easy to say that people shouldn't be doing this or that, without actually being in their shoes and I'm still learning not to do that, although not very successfully. Yeah...

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Peter doesn't complain if the call goes his way!

Although the linesmen are volunteers, there has to be better consistency. Of course, there are close calls in every game. But what shouldn't happen (and has happened) is that calls that are CLEARLY in/out are judged wrongly.
    The players work very hard in their training and preparation. It is their livelihood and to have games change momentum because of obvious mistakes must be very frustrating. Imagine, if your world ranking depends on winning this match, leading on to better prize money and sponsorship deals, would you feel aggreived if it had been taken away from you by a volunteer linesman who wasn't concentrating properly?

BTW, I am not saying line judging is an easy job.
    In another racquet sport, a tide of change came about with the advent of a certain John McEnroe.

20. Linesmen is only human, they make mistake, we make mistake. The IBF should implement a new rule for lines call.

new rule: Each player have one 'challenge' in a game. If any player disagree a line call, he or she can challenge the call and have a replay by the judges. If the player who challenge the call and is correct, he or she gets to keep the right to challenge more lines call until he or she is wrong. Once a player challenge a lines call and is wrong, than he or she lose the right to chanllenge lines call for the rest of the game.

clear as mud? Huh!!