Raquet Tension -- what the?.....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by wedgewenis, Aug 21, 2004.

1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i recently got all my raquets restrung at a store

i said i wanted them as tight as is safe for the raquets

he said that meant about 18 lbs....which i figured cuz thats what i normally got in teh past

i haven't heard of anything higher than 19lbs :confused:

some of the raquets on those sites linked here have up to 31 lbs :eek:

that seems incredibly high for such light badminton raquets

is this a matter of the quality of the raquet... or should i normally get more than 18 no matter what i have

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Even though it's stated on the sticker of racquet of the reccomended tensions, badminton racuqets are able to go to a safe tension of 22 lbs - 24 lbs easily. Anything higher is of additional risk to the user.

I personally string mine at 30lb or more.

Cheers!

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    if you have a regular stringer to do the job for you, and you are happy playing with that tension, then by all means continue with that said tension. bear in mind tensions strung by diff stringers vary.

however if you do feel adventurous, or not happy with the tension, you can always 'experiment'.

best thing to do when stringing with a new stringer is ask these three questions.

1) what is the lowest tension strung?
    2) what is the highest tension strung?
    3) what is the most common tension strung?

these three questions should provide you with enuf information on the tension you'd want your racquet to be strung by an unfamiliar stringer. plus knowledge of your own personal preference of course.

4. sky racket

sky racket Regular Member

learn more about your racket. you need to know up to how many lbs of tension your racket can take. like jug8man said, if you're comfortable using that kind of tension, then continue using the same tension. but if you are out to buy a new racket, be sure that the racket you are going to buy can hadle high tensions. i suggest you do some research before buying a new one. take note that not all high end expensive rackets can take high tensions.