User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 51
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The biggest loser in the Athens Olympics

    Without a doubt the biggest loser is Li yongbo. He must be embarrased by the fact that none of his charges managed to reach the podium of ms & md. Before the tournament started, he boasted that China will clean sweep all the five gold medals at stake. He really deserve it becos' of his arrogant ways.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    Without a doubt the biggest loser is Li yongbo. He must be embarrased by the fact that none of his charges managed to reach the podium of ms & md. Before the tournament started, he boasted that China will clean sweep all the five gold medals at stake. He really deserve it becos' of his arrogant ways.
    Really? Where did you read about his boast of a clean sweep of 5 gold medals?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Really? Where did you read about his boast of a clean sweep of 5 gold medals?
    he said before olympics, china can take 2 or 3 medals

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    Without a doubt the biggest loser is Li yongbo. He must be embarrased by the fact that none of his charges managed to reach the podium of ms & md. Before the tournament started, he boasted that China will clean sweep all the five gold medals at stake. He really deserve it becos' of his arrogant ways.
    1. The biggest loser??? For the head coach who got 60% of the gold???

    2. He never metioned about 5 gold. He said 2 to be safe choice, with the chance of 3 or more.

    3. Li Yong Bo is a smart guy, and he knows how much pressure he's facing. There's no way he will put himself on the "no way back" situation to guarantee 5 golds, not even if CHN MD and XD are 5 times better than current.

    4. Don't understand why always like such issues: players under achieve, then coach is the 1st one to be blamed.

    5. Poor LYB. With his fairly straight (ok, might be harsh sometimes) personality, he seems made enough "enemies" both on and off court...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne,Aus
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if LYB is the biggest loser, wat about Misbun?? After speaking of the possibility of winning the first gold medal for Malaysia, the badminton team came home empty handed without a single medal who is worse? lyb or misbun?

  6. #6
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bresis
    if LYB is the biggest loser, wat about Misbun?? After speaking of the possibility of winning the first gold medal for Malaysia, the badminton team came home empty handed without a single medal who is worse? lyb or misbun?
    32 players........ only one winner. is it fair to say they were 31 losers?

    the chance of getting the gold was there. but not everything happens according to plan. give them a break...........

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think lyb placed too much pressure on his mens team. none of his players really played up to their normal standard this time. i can say for certain that chen hong cracked under pressure.

    but next time, it'll be a different ball game altogether with the olympics in beijing! the fans are going to be MAD!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by |R|S
    i think lyb placed too much pressure on his mens team. none of his players really played up to their normal standard this time. i can say for certain that chen hong cracked under pressure.

    but next time, it'll be a different ball game altogether with the olympics in beijing! the fans are going to be MAD!
    If the fans are going to be MAD, it would only add more pressure. The men will bomb even faster LOL
    Last edited by cooler; 08-23-2004 at 11:22 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't know why, but I really don't like Li Yong Bo :yuckies: since I first saw the sour face of him in TC/UC 1998

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flikflak
    I don't know why, but I really don't like Li Yong Bo :yuckies: since I first saw the sour face of him in TC/UC 1998
    Actually i'm still holding some grudge against Li yongbo.

    Remember the 1992 Barcelona Olympics when he and Tian bingyi defeated our Cheah and Soo via gamesmanship. Looking back, i think that match probably cost us a medal as the malaysians would have gone on to proceed to the semi-finals with ease.

    Never really forgive him since then.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    Actually i'm still holding some grudge against Li yongbo.

    Remember the 1992 Barcelona Olympics when he and Tian bingyi defeated our Cheah and Soo via gamesmanship. Looking back, i think that match probably cost us a medal as the malaysians would have gone on to proceed to the semi-finals with ease.

    Never really forgive him since then.
    If only I could slap him, I don't like his military-like face expression

    Is it true that LYB plans and determines which athlete to play in the WS Olympic final at Sydney 2000 and now, like that Ye and Gong rumour?? He is not fair and sportive if true, although the reason is to collect gold for China's ranking still quite acceptable.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A head coach's job is to get the best out of his players and coaching staff, to get as much award for his team (or nation) as possible. A coach is selected for his overall leadership and talent, but not necessary to be a fans' favorite.

    To me, LYB did his job. Think about little things: How many coach actually doing shopping/cooking for the team, and being a taxi driver for his players using his own time? (quoted from WC2003) Of course, LYB is not everyone's friend, but who else could be???

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flikflak
    If only I could slap him, I don't like his military-like face expression

    Is it true that LYB plans and determines which athlete to play in the WS Olympic final at Sydney 2000 and now, like that Ye and Gong rumour?? He is not fair and sportive if true, although the reason is to collect gold for China's ranking still quite acceptable.
    Actually according to rumours these arrangements not only happen in the Chinese badminton but table tennis as well. I remember one incident also during the Olympics but table tennis this time. There was this chinese girl but i can't recall her name. She was ordered to surrender her semifinal match against a compatriot which she ignored. She went on to win the gold medal and was sacked from the national team.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    Actually i'm still holding some grudge against Li yongbo.

    Remember the 1992 Barcelona Olympics when he and Tian bingyi defeated our Cheah and Soo via gamesmanship. Looking back, i think that match probably cost us a medal as the malaysians would have gone on to proceed to the semi-finals with ease.

    Never really forgive him since then.
    Before I say something, please be sure you know what I am going to say is nothing personal.

    Your thread title is "biggest loser", and try to provide reasons as CHN MS under achieve. I respect your point of view.

    However, what I quoted here, is just your personal feeling regarding to a match 12 yrs ago. Just because your favorite lost to LYB...

    Well, excuse me, who's more like a "loser" right now then? I mean, game is game, not just skill. You need to be smart, to use the rulez (of course, no rule is perfect), to use anything within the legal bound to help yourself. As long as the umpire did not whistle for a fault, go ahead...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Kok Wei
    Actually according to rumours these arrangements not only happen in the Chinese badminton but table tennis as well. I remember one incident also during the Olympics but table tennis this time. There was this chinese girl but i can't recall her name. She was ordered to surrender her semifinal match against a compatriot which she ignored. She went on to win the gold medal and was sacked from the national team.
    Her name is He Zhili.

    However, you only know 1 side of the story. The truth is, He Zhili happily received her teammate's "help" in earlier round, but once it comes to her own turn to give up, she ignored. After this, sooo many fans just felt she's no more a fan's favorite.

    To me, if she really wants to do "true matches", fine, do it on the 1st day. Do it when she 1st ever being selected to a team. However, she did not. She received the favor (according to the rumors) when the result is favorable to her, but suddenly sneak attacked her teammate(s) when it's her turn to sacrifice.

    To me, this is the biggest loser ever.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Her name is He Zhili.

    However, you only know 1 side of the story. The truth is, He Zhili happily received her teammate's "help" in earlier round, but once it comes to her own turn to give up, she ignored. After this, sooo many fans just felt she's no more a fan's favorite.

    To me, if she really wants to do "true matches", fine, do it on the 1st day. Do it when she 1st ever being selected to a team. However, she did not. She received the favor (according to the rumors) when the result is favorable to her, but suddenly sneak attacked her teammate(s) when it's her turn to sacrifice.

    To me, this is the biggest loser ever.
    No matter what happened then, i still feel it is such a shame if the rumours turn out to be true. I mean there shouldn't be terms such as 'sacrifice' or 'help' or whatsoever in sports.

    Athletes should try their best competing against whoever.

    Mind u, to me this is disgraceful and shame to the Chinese team.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Her name is He Zhili.

    However, you only know 1 side of the story. The truth is, He Zhili happily received her teammate's "help" in earlier round, but once it comes to her own turn to give up, she ignored. After this, sooo many fans just felt she's no more a fan's favorite.

    To me, if she really wants to do "true matches", fine, do it on the 1st day. Do it when she 1st ever being selected to a team. However, she did not. She received the favor (according to the rumors) when the result is favorable to her, but suddenly sneak attacked her teammate(s) when it's her turn to sacrifice.

    To me, this is the biggest loser ever.
    I'm sorry but regardless of whose turn it was to "sacrifice" this goes against my every sporting principle. This is basically why I will never support a Chinese team in any competition.

    I don't like the idea that any competitor can be asked to stand down from a possible win or upset just because another player is determined to have a better chance to go all the way to the championship and it would be better for that "better" player to not work hard so that they're more rested against someone from another country who had to battle at every match to get to where they are.

    I don't like the idea that Chinese scouts are going around picking people according to how well they match the ideal physical characteristics necessary to excel in a sport and not according to how much they actually want to play and excel.

    Most of all, I don't like the idea of subjugating a person's will, even if it's for "the good of the mother land". When I hear of these tactics used by China (and they use it in all sports, not just badminton), it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

    I mean true, they are communists, so for them their behavior should be lauded and appreciated. You won't get my vote for it though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who is the Biggest Loser in Asian Games?
    By ants in forum Asian Games 2006 - Badminton
    Replies: 44
    : 12-19-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. sharing badminton videos (Athens Olympics)
    By cwong in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 38
    : 01-02-2005, 09:52 AM
  3. sharing badminton videos (Athens Olympics)
    By cwong in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 37
    : 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
  4. ... and now for Athens Olympics
    By ants in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 0
    : 05-17-2004, 10:22 PM
  5. New citizenship test set by IOC for the Athens Olympics
    By taneepak in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 2
    : 03-01-2004, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •