The biggest loser in the Athens Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Lau Kok Wei, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Lau Kok Wei

Lau Kok Wei Regular Member

Without a doubt the biggest loser is Li yongbo. He must be embarrased by the fact that none of his charges managed to reach the podium of ms & md. Before the tournament started, he boasted that China will clean sweep all the five gold medals at stake. He really deserve it becos' of his arrogant ways. :D

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Really? Where did you read about his boast of a clean sweep of 5 gold medals?

3. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

he said before olympics, china can take 2 or 3 medals

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. The biggest loser??? For the head coach who got 60% of the gold???

2. He never metioned about 5 gold. He said 2 to be safe choice, with the chance of 3 or more.

3. Li Yong Bo is a smart guy, and he knows how much pressure he's facing. There's no way he will put himself on the "no way back" situation to guarantee 5 golds, not even if CHN MD and XD are 5 times better than current.

4. Don't understand why always like such issues: players under achieve, then coach is the 1st one to be blamed.

5. Poor LYB. With his fairly straight (ok, might be harsh sometimes) personality, he seems made enough "enemies" both on and off court... :rolleyes:

5. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

if LYB is the biggest loser, wat about Misbun?? After speaking of the possibility of winning the first gold medal for Malaysia, the badminton team came home empty handed without a single medal :crying: who is worse? lyb or misbun? ;)

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    32 players........ only one winner. is it fair to say they were 31 losers?

the chance of getting the gold was there. but not everything happens according to plan. give them a break...........

7. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i think lyb placed too much pressure on his mens team. none of his players really played up to their normal standard this time. i can say for certain that chen hong cracked under pressure.

but next time, it'll be a different ball game altogether with the olympics in beijing! the fans are going to be MAD!

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    If the fans are going to be MAD, it would only add more pressure. The men will bomb even faster :D :p LOL

#8 cooler, Aug 23, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  9. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

I don't know why, but I really don't like Li Yong Bo :yuckies: since I first saw the sour face of him in TC/UC 1998

10. Lau Kok Wei

Actually i'm still holding some grudge against Li yongbo. :)

Remember the 1992 Barcelona Olympics when he and Tian bingyi defeated our Cheah and Soo via gamesmanship. Looking back, i think that match probably cost us a medal as the malaysians would have gone on to proceed to the semi-finals with ease.

Never really forgive him since then.:mad:

11. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

If only I could slap him, I don't like his military-like face expression :D

Is it true that LYB plans and determines which athlete to play in the WS Olympic final at Sydney 2000 and now, like that Ye and Gong rumour?? He is not fair and sportive if true, although the reason is to collect gold for China's ranking still quite acceptable. :) :(

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A head coach's job is to get the best out of his players and coaching staff, to get as much award for his team (or nation) as possible. A coach is selected for his overall leadership and talent, but not necessary to be a fans' favorite.

To me, LYB did his job. Think about little things: How many coach actually doing shopping/cooking for the team, and being a taxi driver for his players using his own time? (quoted from WC2003) Of course, LYB is not everyone's friend, but who else could be??? :confused:

13. Lau Kok Wei

Actually according to rumours these arrangements not only happen in the Chinese badminton but table tennis as well. I remember one incident also during the Olympics but table tennis this time. There was this chinese girl but i can't recall her name. She was ordered to surrender her semifinal match against a compatriot which she ignored. She went on to win the gold medal and was sacked from the national team.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Before I say something, please be sure you know what I am going to say is nothing personal.

Your thread title is "biggest loser", and try to provide reasons as CHN MS under achieve. I respect your point of view.

However, what I quoted here, is just your personal feeling regarding to a match 12 yrs ago. Just because your favorite lost to LYB...

Well, excuse me, who's more like a "loser" right now then? :confused: I mean, game is game, not just skill. You need to be smart, to use the rulez (of course, no rule is perfect), to use anything within the legal bound to help yourself. As long as the umpire did not whistle for a fault, go ahead...

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Her name is He Zhili.

However, you only know 1 side of the story. The truth is, He Zhili happily received her teammate's "help" in earlier round, but once it comes to her own turn to give up, she ignored. After this, sooo many fans just felt she's no more a fan's favorite.

To me, if she really wants to do "true matches", fine, do it on the 1st day. Do it when she 1st ever being selected to a team. However, she did not. She received the favor (according to the rumors) when the result is favorable to her, but suddenly sneak attacked her teammate(s) when it's her turn to sacrifice.

To me, this is the biggest loser ever. :mad:

16. Lau Kok Wei

No matter what happened then, i still feel it is such a shame if the rumours turn out to be true. I mean there shouldn't be terms such as 'sacrifice' or 'help' or whatsoever in sports.

Athletes should try their best competing against whoever.

Mind u, to me this is disgraceful and shame to the Chinese team.

17. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

I'm sorry but regardless of whose turn it was to "sacrifice" this goes against my every sporting principle. This is basically why I will never support a Chinese team in any competition.

I don't like the idea that any competitor can be asked to stand down from a possible win or upset just because another player is determined to have a better chance to go all the way to the championship and it would be better for that "better" player to not work hard so that they're more rested against someone from another country who had to battle at every match to get to where they are.

I don't like the idea that Chinese scouts are going around picking people according to how well they match the ideal physical characteristics necessary to excel in a sport and not according to how much they actually want to play and excel.

Most of all, I don't like the idea of subjugating a person's will, even if it's for "the good of the mother land". When I hear of these tactics used by China (and they use it in all sports, not just badminton), it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean true, they are communists, so for them their behavior should be lauded and appreciated. You won't get my vote for it though.

18. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

hehehe I got it, so whatever considered as cheating before and after the game never bring "fairness feeling" to all people that involved or not! :D
    So, all the people involved in the cheating plan are all L.O.S.E.R basically. Now we can conclude LYB is... a LOSER? hahaha. jk.

It depends on your own point of view. And moreover it doesn't matter to debate about unnecessary things, loser or not we do not know 100%, the fact is LYB managed to succeed his plan, and it cannot be changed forever.

If you want to make him being a loser, you must defeat his dream team like what happened in JO 2004 and TC 2002. I hope Indonesian, Danish, and Korean players could give some very big lessons to LYB....

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

I agree. I think Misbun is going to lose his job, but not LYB.

20. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Consider the Tour de France, where the US postal team members sacrificed their own chances to win to help Lance Armstrong win all of those times. Is that shameful and disgraceful?

Badminton is an individual sport, but athletes also arrive at the Olympics as a single team, representing the same country. LYB probably would like to maximize the glory for his team, by bringing back the most gold and overall number of medals. In certain cases, it may be best for him to have certain matchups and combinations in his favour in order to achieve that goal. Winning 3 golds, and 5/15 medals - definitely not the loser.

Personally, I think it is most disappointing for the Malaysian team.