simple singles strategy.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 12, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have been experimenting with singles strategy lately. i am focusing mainly on the simple ones, and choosing to play against opponents at my level, which are beginner/intermediate-ish.

one thing that i find very useful to remember is to use all 4 corners. i always forget that when i go from a doubles game to singles. nail the guy to the corners with fast and deep shots, make him work and when he returns a weak shot, make him pay for it.

i was taught this recently, funny how simple it is, but it really does work. i beat a guy quite easily today just by nailing him at the back, and then when he try to attack, i will run him around the court.

consistency and accuracy is quite important here.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I play mostly singles and only a little doubles, probably why my doubles is weak. But anyhow, i agree with you Kwun, the 4 corners of the court are very good places to put the shuttles as if your attack is executed correctly, the return will be hard for your opponent and weak as well. Like the back left corner will be hardest for righties to return adn the back right corner is the hardest of lefties to return. Thats the part of the court that i normally attack the most as the return from a deep back hand shot (assuming there is 1) will be normally high at the front of the net, unless your opponent is a pro..... lol. Just move in for the easy kill

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one thing that was stressed was to maintain high consistency. when playing with the regular player who isn't able to pressurize me on such shots, having the ability to produce consistent shot with good placement will be a big advantage. likely is that he will try to make fancier shots and produce an error.

of course, i am talking about regular beginning/intermediate players here. what i said probably won't work for advanced players.

another thing that was stressed was tight placement, making sure all shots reaches deep into the back line. those are the most difficult ones to attack on.

4. pa player

pa player Guest

Remember, when smashing, the shuttle should not land more than 5 inches from the sideline...and see how much difference this makes than a more powerful smash somewhere in the inner court....

Easier said than done....

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    You are definitely not a beginner ... -:)

6. minh

minh Guest

this might help you,or at least get you thinkin.even ivhavent totally mastered it.
    my coach teaches me the "3 shot scenario".
    which basically is that every time you prepare for a shot, position yourself which allows you multiple choices of were to play it. it should eventually make you for deceptive and harder for your opponent to read your shot. easier said than done but practice makes perfect right!