squash racket training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by paulchow, Aug 24, 2004.

1. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

i've read a bunch of posts where people suggest using a squash racket to improve forearm strength. Does anyone know if this is a form of training pros actually incorporate into their programs (if so pls indicate how they train in this way)? (Pls don't respond saying something like i've seen pictures with kdm or someone else holding a squash racket unless u know how they train with it.)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes.

I have seen them doing repetitive smashes routines using squash racquets.

They may do others like drives. and/or multi shot patterns.

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Smash training with a squash racquet can improve power, bit I would not recommend it for much else. I have seen a number of players use a squash racquet to train all sorts of shots - even using it to hit against a wall. This is not a good idea.

The basic idea behind using a squash racquet is that it is heavier than a badminton racquet. Correct use of a squash racquet is to encourage the larger muscles to play a bigger role in a hitting action. This is great for smashing as it brings your shoulder more into play. Many players do not use their shoulder enough in a full swing, mainly because the badminton racquet is so light that it is not necessary. When you want to boom one though - that is when you need the extra reserves that come from the hip and shoulder. Get someone to feed you three quarter length high lifts for you to smash. There is no hurry with this feed - and no need to return to base. Once you have hit two sets of about twelve change to your badminton racquet. Feel the shoulder really work and the difference that it makes. You should also feel your arm really straighten through impact. Boom!

What you shoud NOT do is train shorter shots with the squash racquet. Following the principle that heavier means having to use bigger muscles - the last thing you want to happen when playing a little tap shot. Speed is important here not power - if you get your muscles used to hitting with a heavy racquet you will lose speed of shot.

Hope that helps.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I've been practising underhand clears by hitting the wall
    with a tennis racket recently. Really helped much. :)

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

i heard raphael sachetat say using a squash raket help when you take again your raket , you have the impression it's more light ... but i never try =p

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Another idea is to use a heavy badminton racket. Some of the cheap ones go up to 110g and can be strung up quite well. Not as heavy as a squash racket but can be used easier without people wondering why on earth you are playing with a squash racket.

7. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Yea, it really does make your racquet feel lighter, and your smashes seem to be more powerful for a while. As Slanter is implying, you should only try smashing, and not clearing with the squash racquet- or else you will have very sore shoulders and possibly injure yourself! (oh yea, streching/ warming up before using a squash racquet is important too!) And dropping with a squash racquet in my opinion, is useless, since it is not the same feeling as dropping with a badminton racquet. Haven't played in a while, but just based on my experience =)

8. avataar

avataar Regular Member

India #2 Womens Player Aditi Mutatkar

doing a swing drill with a squash racquet as part of her prep before her match

Attached Files:

9. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    You can use the squash rackets or training rackets like the ones from Kimoni, i think they come in 135g and 150g, the quality of the racket is quite good and price is cheap.

[​IMG]

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Badminton.tv have a coaching video where the players use a squash racket to train smash defence. This actually seems to be a common application of heavy-racket training.

Their recent series of videos covers:
    • Squash racket defence practice
    • Squash racket smash attack
    • Squash racket drive defence
    Here's a quote from their drive defence video:

#10 Gollum, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Again, the 'moderation' word is the key. So, don't go nuts over it. I do see some state and national players using it for strokes. The fundamentals are more important, which takes about 99% importance. If this is a 1%, that means there could be 99 different parts of area which need attention.

12. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Thats a squash racket? Aren't these squash rackets?

http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50170044/Squash_Racket.jpg

I noticed how you shouldn't use the squash rackets for too long. How about using a pretty heavy badminton racket? Can I then practice in longer sessions? My Carlton "Smash" is pretty darn heavy. :rolleyes:

13. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Do you know QIANBALL?

It's cool, you can do heavy racket exercises with this on your own.

For example smash defense without someone who feeds you the shuttles or smashes at you.

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Read the post more carefully. That is a picture of an extra heavy badminton racquet.

15. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Sorry I didn't see how it was labeled as an extra heavy badminton racket with just a paragraph saying:

You can use the squash rackets or training rackets like the ones from Kimoni, i think they come in 135g and 150g, the quality of the racket is quite good and price is cheap.

But can heavy badminton rackets be used for long periods of times?

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com