Line calls in tournaments

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Brett, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

There have been some recent discussions about line calls in major tournaments at which the linesperson (often an untrained volunteer) has made a significant error. In tennis, when such erroneous calls are made, the player who will benefit by the call generally keeps quiet. Do badminton pros also stay quiet when an error goes in their favor - believing that there will likely be errors against them that even things out over the course of a match - or do some of them agree with their opponent about a bad call?

2. Shahzad

Shahzad Guest

I saw something similair in the World Champs final when Hendrawan thought that one of Gade's shots was out, and so did the commentators in fact, but the line judge called it out and that was the end of that, Hendrawan tried to appeal but it was for nothing because their decisions cannot be over-ruled.

In the recent Frence open in tennis there were loads of bad calls, and i mean loads. But because the player could argue and also because the ball left a mark on the clay they knew that if it was out they could prove it. In badminton it is very difficult to prove becuase of the speed of the game and it would require video replays and that would surely have an impact on the flow of the game.

The line judges do make mistakes but they are only human...so the player just has to accept it and get on with the next point.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I remember a similar incident at the All England Semi finals between Gade and Gopichand. Gopichand hit a half smash cross court towards Gade's forehand side. I didn't see it land exactly but i'm quite sure it was in as the shuttle was lying about 3-4 inches in of the line.

It was called out, Gopichand appealed but the chair umpire told him that "It was called in"

4. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    I feel the line judges job is important..BUT you could always use an alternative and just use video feed. It's accurate and eliminates questioning when they see the video.

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    yeah but on court you wouldn't have time to do that. The line judge has to make the decision then and there, he/she can't ask to view a video before making a decision