User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool guys!
    I see more and more people subscribing to the idea of homemade towel grips.

Soon the towel grip companies may have to close down...

Hmmm... I may try to make some modifications to incorporate New_Guy04's ideas.

As for the double sided tape making a mess on the racket handle when you peel the grip off, I forgot to mention this part:

I usually wrap electrical insulation tape over the handle first. Then I'll wrap the towel grip over the insulation tape.
    The electrical insulation tape is very cheap and super thin so it won't increase the size of the grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When taking off the grip, will the double sided tape leave a sticky disgusting residue like usual towel grips? or does it come off nice and easy with no residue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    When taking off the grip, will the double sided tape leave a sticky disgusting residue like usual towel grips? or does it come off nice and easy with no residue?
    Yup, that residue left behind is a major pain in the posterior

I hate it, its the only negative thing about towel grip (well apart from the fact it hardens)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What racket is it?

Hey Wukong...what rackets is that you are using in the photo? is it a CY or Genji racket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechalice
    Hey Wukong...what rackets is that you are using in the photo? is it a CY or Genji racket?
    From the "A" on the string, I guess it is a Ashaway racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikell
    From the "A" on the string, I guess it is a Ashaway racket.
    Yes. It is an Ashaway TMP 900.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Why dun u cut the edges into triangular pin-point shape? Having square edges kinda makes wrapping thickens as it rolls at an angle......strange...but, semm kinda nice wrap up! Good job and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wukong
    Towel grips are never cheap.
    They usually cost between S$2 to S$2.50 in Singapore.
    That's about US$1.50 each.
    I'm quite sure they cost even more in most countries.

This is how you can make your own towel grips in 5 easy steps.
    The advantages? Plenty.

A huge towel cost less than S$6 (~US$3.50).
    You'll also need about 3 rolls of double-sided tape costing S$1.50 each (~US$0.90) and a sharp cutter S$2 (~US$1.50).
    I use a roller cutter. Cost me a little bit more but makes the process much faster.
    All that should be able to make you about 30 grips.
    Total cost: S$13 (less than US$8)
    That's around S$0.40 each (around US$0.25 each).
    Plus you can choose whatever colours and designs that you want.

Step 1:
    Spread the towel on a table.
    Make sure that you place some newspapers or cardboard below so that you don't damage the table.

Step 2:
    Mount the double-sided tape (about 2.5 to 3 cm width) on one side of the towel as shown in the 2nd photo.
    Ensure that the length is at least 90 cm (for long handles).
    If your double-sided tape is too narrow, you may mount 2 parallel rows (as I've done in the 3rd photo).

Step 3:
    Carefully cut out towel (4th photo) and trim the edges with a scissors.

Step 4:
    You've got a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) towel grip!
    Fix the grip on your racket handle as shown in the photo.

Step 5:
    Send money by Paypal or Wire Transfer to me if satisfied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb how to avoid the residue on grips after removing towel grips

hello. first of all, that was a very interesting post on how to make a towel grip. I'm going to BedBath&Beyond to get my towels and double sided tape today!

as for the problem of sticky residue left on your racket grip after you remove the towel grip, this is how i avoided it. Before you apply the towel grip onto your racket, wrap the the racket grip with saran wrap (yes, MICROWAVE plastic wrap). just one layer of plastic wrap will do. this works because even if the plastic wrap doesn't stick to your racket grip, it will stick to itself, and not fall off, so, when you wrap your grip with the towel, it's just like, well, wrapping your grip without the plastic wrap.

once you want to change your grip, you can remove your towel grip like you would regularly, and the plastic wrap is going to tear away together with the grip!

hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Great!!!

Just wondering, if a grip is getting dirty, can you just peel off the tape and wash it? Once it's dried, just re-apply tape back on, and re-use it. If it's ok, then, we can make 60-90 grips out of your package, assume a piece of towel could be used for 2-3 times.
    I don't think you can reuse the towel, since you're cutting it, it might not withstand the removal and re-application. Also, the threads are going to be frayed because of the cutting, and c'mon, 30 grips from one big towel (around $15 total) is cheap! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To protect your leather grip from Glue

G'day,

The towel grip illustrations was excellent. But i would like to add something for people who dont want to add a Torno grip( the green grip in the image) over the original leather grip when they make their towel grips.

This is what i do. To protect my original leather grip i add Plastic cling wrap. I think all of us use it to cover food that we keep in the fridge. Its light weight and does not affect the balance of your racket like a Torno and torno's are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Great!!!

Just wondering, if a grip is getting dirty, can you just peel off the tape and wash it? Once it's dried, just re-apply tape back on, and re-use it. If it's ok, then, we can make 60-90 grips out of your package, assume a piece of towel could be used for 2-3 times.
    i know a guy who got this into a science. (30 secs task)
    real towel will last after many washing machine, at least 3 times.
    quality way way better than commercial ones.
    he has 3 females in his household, he can't convert the towels fast enough he told me (see pics equipment sticky thread on grips)
    Last edited by cooler; 02-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi
    G'day,

The towel grip illustrations was excellent. But i would like to add something for people who dont want to add a Torno grip( the green grip in the image) over the original leather grip when they make their towel grips.

This is what i do. To protect my original leather grip i add Plastic cling wrap. I think all of us use it to cover food that we keep in the fridge. Its light weight and does not affect the balance of your racket like a Torno and torno's are expensive.

Hope this helps.
    hey yogi, welcome back!

shrink wrap tend to stick onto the leather and overgrips over time tho, does this happen to you?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note to UK players: you can get much cheaper towel grips if you buy them in a roll. I get mine from Ashaway. I worked out that it costs about 50p in total per grip (which means I can easily afford to change them every week).

This is equivalent to $0.93. So although it is much cheaper than buying individually, it is still about 4 times the price of homemade ones (quoted as $0.25 in this thread).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i suppose the real question is - would it be possible to create other types of grip using this method? ther must be sheets of PU available on the cheap somwhere..

any thoughts anybody?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you put over the stock grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Cooler, Been a while since i followed this forum

When i was playing actively, i used to change grips once in 3 or 4 days. When i did that i used to change the shrink wrap as well. Did not find much trouble with shrink wrap sticking to the original grip.

But i must admit that sometimes it was not all that smooth and there is a very fair chance that the shrink wrap might stick to the original grip and spoil it.

I have been making my own towel grips ever since i learnt baddy. Southern India is very humid and if you are someone who does not like wristbands, then towels are the only solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gym teacher said that an overgrip may solve the burns on my hand from the racket. I read this and quickly bought a cheap towel (mom wouldn't let me use any of the hosuehold's ). I followed the instructions posted but it must have been the cheap towel as it was EXTRA messy with string going all over the place. Unfortunately, when i pulled them off, more came out from the sides threatening to reveal the original grip underneath it.

When i showed it to my teacher he laughed and said it was very creative .

Although my first try was a fail, i think that this is a good tip if u have time to make some^^

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast