User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 85
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default How to Make Your Own Towel Grips in 5 Easy Steps.

    Towel grips are never cheap.
    They usually cost between S$2 to S$2.50 in Singapore.
    That's about US$1.50 each.
    I'm quite sure they cost even more in most countries.

    This is how you can make your own towel grips in 5 easy steps.
    The advantages? Plenty.

    A huge towel cost less than S$6 (~US$3.50).
    You'll also need about 3 rolls of double-sided tape costing S$1.50 each (~US$0.90) and a sharp cutter S$2 (~US$1.50).
    I use a roller cutter. Cost me a little bit more but makes the process much faster.
    All that should be able to make you about 30 grips.
    Total cost: S$13 (less than US$8)
    That's around S$0.40 each (around US$0.25 each).
    Plus you can choose whatever colours and designs that you want.

    Step 1:
    Spread the towel on a table.
    Make sure that you place some newspapers or cardboard below so that you don't damage the table.

    Step 2:
    Mount the double-sided tape (about 2.5 to 3 cm width) on one side of the towel as shown in the 2nd photo.
    Ensure that the length is at least 90 cm (for long handles).
    If your double-sided tape is too narrow, you may mount 2 parallel rows (as I've done in the 3rd photo).

    Step 3:
    Carefully cut out towel (4th photo) and trim the edges with a scissors.

    Step 4:
    You've got a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) towel grip!
    Fix the grip on your racket handle as shown in the photo.

    Step 5:
    Send money by Paypal or Wire Transfer to me if satisfied.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

  2. Likes hengkee liked this post
  3. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wukong
    All that should be able to make you about 30 grips.

    Great!!!

    Just wondering, if a grip is getting dirty, can you just peel off the tape and wash it? Once it's dried, just re-apply tape back on, and re-use it. If it's ok, then, we can make 60-90 grips out of your package, assume a piece of towel could be used for 2-3 times.

  4. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montreal (514)
    Posts
    1,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you!! Me not buying grip anymore

  5. #4
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lovely. how about making leather grips next?

    great job

  6. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wukong
    Towel grips are never cheap.
    They usually cost between S$2 to S$2.50 in Singapore.
    That's about US$1.50 each.
    $1.50 isnt that much... hell to kill a poor innocent towel will cost more

  7. Likes Songher liked this post
  8. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    omg!!! i created my own towel grip too, not a month ago, and i wanted to post how I made MY towel grip... this is such a coincidence.... so i want to post how I made my towel grip...

    1.) cut out towel long enough to cover ur racket grip.

    2.) put not double tape on the other side of the towel, but i use hockey tape... it usually sticks better on towel, and it's thin and light, and easy to get ur hands on, especially for canadian hockey manias out there

    3.) wrap the grip around the racket grip.

    4.) Use some hockey tape at the end to enclose ur grip, just like putting adhesive tape at the end when we grip yonex super grap.. i tried to use adhesive tape on towel at the end, but it doesn't stick very well, but hockey tape sure does!!! and this way, u don't have to ruin the original grip beneath! it works very well for me!

  9. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New_Guy04
    omg!!! i created my own towel grip too, not a month ago, and i wanted to post how I made MY towel grip... this is such a coincidence.... so i want to post how I made my towel grip...

    1.) cut out towel long enough to cover ur racket grip.

    2.) put not double tape on the other side of the towel, but i use hockey tape... it usually sticks better on towel, and it's thin and light, and easy to get ur hands on, especially for canadian hockey manias out there

    3.) wrap the grip around the racket grip.

    4.) Use some hockey tape at the end to enclose ur grip, just like putting adhesive tape at the end when we grip yonex super grap.. i tried to use adhesive tape on towel at the end, but it doesn't stick very well, but hockey tape sure does!!! and this way, u don't have to ruin the original grip beneath! it works very well for me!
    I am a bit confused... Is hockey tape 1 side or 2 side? If 1 side, why you put it on the other side of the towel? If 2 side, how you use it as a finishing tape at the cone?

    Now, you know, I only played a bit street hockey in my life, so, no idea about all the fancy equipment in hockey.

  10. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great thread.... will help a lot of players out there that uses towel grips some money

  11. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    TW
    Posts
    3,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, I understand that towel grips in some countries are very expensive, such as in the US, Canada, and UK....etc. So, you will save some money by doing homemade grips.

    However, in Taiwan, a roll of towel grips (good for 15-20 rackets) is only $250NT, which is about $7-8 USD.....so we don't have to do all these....

  12. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    Well, I understand that towel grips in some countries are very expensive, such as in the US, Canada, and UK....etc. So, you will save some money by doing homemade grips.

    However, in Taiwan, a roll of towel grips (good for 15-20 rackets) is only $250NT, which is about $7-8 USD.....so we don't have to do all these....

    I don't think making your own towel grips is so bad. Not only do you get more than those rolls, but i'vef neverused a roll of towel grips that i really liked. Tried a few. I persoanlly like the yonex towel grip better than those. But if im able to pick out my own towel....then i'm starting it tomorrow

    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... here i come!!

  13. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    I am a bit confused... Is hockey tape 1 side or 2 side? If 1 side, why you put it on the other side of the towel? If 2 side, how you use it as a finishing tape at the cone?

    Now, you know, I only played a bit street hockey in my life, so, no idea about all the fancy equipment in hockey.
    the hockey tape is one sided only...here, i'll show u a pictogram of m 4-step method in this file...
    Attached Files Attached Files

  14. #12
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    New_Guy04 has an interesting method. the towel is stretchable and cannot be wrapped like a synthetic grip as it will be very loose or very stretched out.

    the normal way to go around it is to tape it on the handle with double side tape.

    New_Guy04's method is to instead find some other stiffer material, the hockey tape, glue it on the towel as a stronger backing.

    now we can wrap the towel grip on the handle like we do with a synthetic, and without the mess of having to deal with tape sticking to the handle afterwards...

    nice!

  15. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Burnaby BC
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    This reminds me, I remember last time I went to metrotown and i saw this Store has TOWELS on sale. HAHAHA like 10 for 10$ or somthing! Now mayb i should go back and buy a bunch!

    yeah this will definally Safe myself some cash, cuz i was about to buy one of those big rolls on towel grip for $20 CND =D

    Thx a Bunch!

  16. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montreal (514)
    Posts
    1,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One thing that is very cool by doing your own towel grip is that you have more choice of colour and design.

    I just put a towel grip with hearts picture (from a towel my girlfriend left at my house) on my cab21.

    I also put a pink towel grip over my Ti-10^^

  17. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New_Guy04
    the hockey tape is one sided only...here, i'll show u a pictogram of m 4-step method in this file...
    Look nice.

    I guess the hockey tape has rough surface? I mean, since u metioned "don't overlap too much", if the tape's surface is very smooth, then, i can see the grip will getting loose very easily.

  18. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Look nice.

    I guess the hockey tape has rough surface? I mean, since u metioned "don't overlap too much", if the tape's surface is very smooth, then, i can see the grip will getting loose very easily.
    no, hockey tape isn't very slippery, so that's why i used it instead of electiric tape. if anyone knows a tape with a rougher surface than hockey tape, plz post here, since i like to upgrade.

  19. #17
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    aside from stickiness, the stiffness of the tape is also important. if the tape stretches over time, it will become loose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. lead tape - debunked in 4 easy steps
    By amleto in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 16
    : 05-29-2011, 06:06 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    : 01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
  3. Anyone know how to make Towel Grips?
    By Nick in forum Grip
    Replies: 1
    : 08-27-2002, 11:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •