Places to play in Markham or York (drop-in)

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by wunderbar, Aug 27, 2004.

1. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

I'll be in the York or Markham area and was wondering if there are any drop-in places that are decent...ie. club level play.

Thanks,

2. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Check out this site for a listing of places to play

click on the "Where to Play" link on the left column

3. herovc

herovc Regular Member

check this location www.torontobadminton.com
    charles is the host there and the drop-in fees is $3 w/ plastic shuttle provided

4. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I've been there with a couple of my friends and I have to say that it is very unorganized and there is no real time limit for those who are playing. I remember having to sit off for a while before someone would come off and the only reason why they came off was because I got Charles to boot them off for playing so long.

Also, there are lots of cliques there so you don't get to play against other people. I find this is also true at Mandarin badminton in Markham. I'm not sure if any of you have experienced it, but it isn't a good feeling. Especially when you have lots of potential, but aren't given the opportunity to play. Also Mandarin is very anal in what you wear. (i.e. Gum rubber shoes, and 80% white clothing) Again, there is no time limit and people just play until they are done their games.

5. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Very true. You can tell them (older people usually the ones that care more) that the 15 minutes is up, and it is your turn, but then there was one time, the people all got together, and split apart into groups to fill all available courts, where every 15 minutes, they kicked the guy off the court. I agree with the shoes though, cause you don't know how much money was put into the mat, and how much damage ie, worn basketball shoes can cause. The marks are very hard to get off. As for cliques, you just have to take the right approach, many times, it is because they are friends who want to play together. Try to be friendly with them, and you'll play together.

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    you will not understand why u need to wear court shoes, until you are the one cleaning the courts my friend.....

whenever *I* have to clean the courts, i seriously feel like knocking whoever messed them up in the first place out.... you have no idea how hard it is to clean those mats...

as for clothing.... mandarin requires >80% white top...
    if i remember correctly, B&R and granite require 100% white top AND bottom..either way, not a big deal as far as i am concerned...

as for drop ins with club level play, u can simply go to the clubs themselves..ie: mandarin/lees.... there are also quite a number of rec centres... but they usually don't have as high a level of play..

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Hey guys, I am new here and also looking for places to play in the Markahm & York area during Christmas. If you guys are needing another player to make up a pair, free feel to drop me a message.

Merry Christmas everyone.:D

8. chanman87

chanman87 Regular Member

Banker
    friday nights @ Thornlea HS (Bayview just south of Highway 7)

9. Ricearonie

Ricearonie Regular Member

any of you guys play monday or wednesday night? i'm just about to graduate from university and i'm looking for a place to play during the week, so i wanna know a bit more about the place before i drive down and figure its a waste of my time