User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default A badminton equipment guide

we are seeing more and more questions asking for advice on rackets. considering all the rackets and all the opinions out there, i wonder if it is possible for us to come up with a guide to what racket to purchase.

i envision the guide will have 2 or 3 recommended rackets for each level of play. beginner / intermediate / advanced.

the price will increase with level of play.

it doesn't need to be specific to a certain brand, but as the guide will be read by badminton players all over the world, it is important that we dont' pick rackets that is only available in a small number of markets.

the guide will be updated every year.

what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a good idea

However, many people in here just never read nor search, so hopefully people would read the posts before they start asking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the guide will solve this exact problem. Instead of trying to alter the natural behaviour of the posters (ask first, search later), this guide will give them a point of entry into their racquet searching process. Afterall the motivation for asking first is to see if they can get a quick answer with minimal effort. If nothing comes of that process, then more energy needs to be spent searching.

P.S. I fully recognize that is not the generally accepted practice on a large BB, but it is very understandable behaviour.

Kwun I agree fully with the guide. I am happy to volunteer to write a section once the outline and information needed in each are defined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's a difficult one Kwun,

there is always the reviews section as well, maybe a link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is also the matter of what are the specs of the racquet one looks for. For a newbie, this is not trivial. We here all know about balance points, what the "U" means, the effect of head shape, etc, but a new player likely won't. The guide will be a good introduction I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    Well it's a difficult one Kwun,

there is always the reviews section as well, maybe a link?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i agree with both.

i can see the guide serving a few purposes.

many asked first because there aren't any information readily available. a search is ok, but a guide listed in the front page is even more convenient and it will be information that they can get without asking. it is a much more direct way to get the info one needs.

there is also the review section as Dill suggested, but the information is too overwhelming even for me sometimes. it is hard to go through 200+ reviews for the MP100 for example!

a distilled guide thus will let equipment seeker reach their solution much faster. that is minimal effort.

it is true that there will still be questions posted, hopefully they will be from a more informed seeker with the help of the guide or the number of them will be reduced...

to be honest, i think the guide will be a great contribution to the badminton community and it will definitely help out badminton players at all level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604badder
    I think there is also the matter of what are the specs of the racquet one looks for. For a newbie, this is not trivial. We here all know about balance points, what the "U" means, the effect of head shape, etc, but a new player likely won't. The guide will be a good introduction I believe.
    I don't disagree but it will be a difficult thing to initiate, I thought that was what the reviews section was for. Anyhow the two will need to be linked for ultimate feedback and efficiency.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think every racquet should have an review for it as even when using the search option, not much information appears for a certain racquet, just a thought

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604badder
    i see the guide more as a recommendation of specific models than a general introduction to a badminton racket. i have started compiling the general information and will be writing separate articles on them. you can see i wrote on for the serial number already.

any volunteer writers are welcomed. spare the readers from my horrible English, please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vienly
    i think every racquet should have an review for it as even when using the search option, not much information appears for a certain racquet, just a thought
    You need to go to the actual reviews section of the site and I think that is where the difficulty is, Kwun's idea would simplify the process with having a link on the main page and hopefully the collumn to the left with simplistic entry level info with perhaps a link in to the reviews section.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vienly
    that's a valid goal to aim for. but practically not very simple to achieve! it will be a monumental effort to be able to provide a review for each type of rackets. as you can see, many models in the review section have 0 reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i see the guide more as a recommendation of specific models than a general introduction to a badminton racket. i have started compiling the general information and will be writing separate articles on them. you can see i wrote on for the serial number already.

any volunteer writers are welcomed. spare the readers from my horrible English, please!
    You need to find people who have used the different rackets you are going to be talking about.

If I can lend a hand I surely will.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    I don't disagree but it will be a difficult thing to initiate, I thought that was what the reviews section was for. Anyhow the two will need to be linked for ultimate feedback and efficiency.
    i agree with the link to the review section in case the reader wants to do further research into their purchase.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    that's a valid goal to aim for. but practically not very simple to achieve! it will be a monumental effort to be able to provide a review for each type of rackets. as you can see, many models in the review section have 0 reviews.
    a agree with kwun, "many models in the review section have 0 reviews"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about one of those survey things that they have online, where people can answer based on their preferences and then the search engine spits out 3 rackets that are good matches? And you can define the terms for people below, like the benefits of oval vs. iso, stiff vs. flex, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoboTheBadder
    How about one of those survey things that they have online, where people can answer based on their preferences and then the search engine spits out 3 rackets that are good matches? And you can define the terms for people below, like the benefits of oval vs. iso, stiff vs. flex, etc.
    lol, that sounds like a lot of work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    lol, that sounds like a lot of work
    Yeah it would. You'd have to write out the benefits of all the different types of rackets, and maybe even strings if you wanna go that far. Then you'd have to sort rackets out by their types, i.e.

Singles/doubles/both
    Beginner/Int./Advanced/whatever else
    Oval/Iso/Don't care
    Very Stiff/Stiff/blah blah blah
    Shaft Length
    Overall racket length
    Brand names
    Price
    Balance Point
    Weight
    Grip size
    etc you get the idea

Then a search engine has to be coded to sort these out depending on what the person who's looking for the racket answers. Maybe link them to the reviews (except the problem with the reviews is some of the reviews aren't very helpful). The only benefit is that after it's coded it'll be easy to just add new rackets to it on a yearly basis, and the definitions don't need to be updated since there's only so much stuff you can ask about a racket. Plus it would be a great tool for newbies to use instead of them having to post and ask about what racket they should get all the time. I mean they still can for clarity purposes but at least it'll narrow down what rackets they should buy for their style.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast