Liu Xiang makes history by winning men's 110m hurdles

Discussion in 'ATHENS 2004 non-badminton events' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 28, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Liu Xiang makes history by winning men's 110m hurdles
    People's Daily Online
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200408/28/eng20040828_155060.html
    China's Liu Xiang became the first Asian in history to win the men's 110m hurdles at the Olympic Games in Athens on August 27.

Liu, 21, last year's bronze medalist at world indoor and outdoor championships, clocked a world record-equaling time of 12. 91 seconds for the gold.

He also broke the Olympic record of 12.95 seconds set by Allen Johnson of the United States in the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996.

The winning margin is the biggest since the Seoul Olympics in 1988, where Roger Kingdom of the United States won with 12.98 to British Colin Jackson's silver medal performance of 13.28.

"I never expected that I can run inside 13 seconds, and I never expected that I could break the Olympic record," said Liu in tears. "I am very, very excited."

He added, "I was in a very good shape today. When I was in the blocks all I could think of was the sound of the gun. My race went wonderfully from the start until the end.

"It is an amazing experience being the Olympic champion. I want to thank my coach and my friends for all their help. I think today the Chinese people showed the world they can run as fast as anybody else.

"Still this feels like kind of a miracle. I didn't dare to think I would get a medal of any kind here," he said.

"He is a hero, he is the pride of the whole China," said Luo Chaoyi, president of the Chinese Athletics Admistration, governing body of the country's track and field.

Terrence Trammell of the United States, silver medalist at both the Sydney Olympics and last year's world championships, won the silver in 13.18.

Defending champion Anier Garcia of Cuba took the bronze in 13. 20.

Trammell said, "the race didn't go quite as planned, but that's hurdles. As far as my race went I did the best I could do and that was silver.

"I'm not disappointed. There's only two other people in the world who have a medal (from this race).

"I felt pretty good through the first part of the race. At number six my back leg dragged a little bit and I spent the rest of the race trying to get back up."

Garcia said, "I had a lot of injuries last year and had very little self confidence. This season went much better as I had more preparation, but I only competed three times. I am pleased with this result. I now have to look ahead for 2005 world championships. "

The Cuban gave a lot of credit to Liu, saying, "He's very impressive just as he has been all season. He was in great shape today and there is a bright future ahead of him."

==

IMPRESSIVE stuff! This is one of the few Chinese athletes whom I was suppoting all the time and my bet of him making history had come true! Well done!

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, it's an amazing feat, especially for a asian since they aren't that strong in these (track and field) events. Liu tied the world record. Some say that world record is fishy since it was attained in the 80's when drug usage is ramphant and hard to detect. Liu did it without chemicals, that is the amazing part.

3. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I think it's a great achievement, but to say it's totally chemically free is dangerous these days. And no I'm not being racist, I'm highly suspect of the entire Australian track cycling team after all the controversy, sad but true. I think it's a really good idea for the IOC to store samples for five years so when there's the technology to detect whatever designer drug is currently being used by the drug cheats can be caught and stripped of their gold medals. Of course, with that mentality the entire race should have samples taken to see which of the remaining ones were clean :p

NB! I'm not saying he is/was on drugs, I'm saying that these days, sadly enough, we won't be able to tell for a few years. EG the whole Balco industries fiasco in the states, if the coach hadn't sent in the syringe we still wouldn't have known about it, EIGHT years on.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If you have time, can you summarize? I find there're very good writers with great clarity on this forum, which describes events and significance far better than other media. :D

-dave

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I have watched it on TV. Liu was the only person running a near-perfect race - he barely touched the last hurdle only. Unlike other tracks and fields, I really doubt doping will help much on 110 hurdles - it got to be hard work and training. It's really a great achievement for Liu, and hope he will do it again in 2008.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I due note your suspicion. However, i think the IOC is ahead of the chemist in this olympic. That's why there are so many last minute withdrawal in this olympic. Liu isnt a flash in the pan winner, he was consistently strong in all recent track meet. I'm sure Liu had been tested numerous occasion before the olympic race. He won the world junior at one time. I just can't believe that he's taking steroid all this time without being caught.

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I have already spoken so highly and so much of Liu's victory in other forums that I will only say a few words here: he has made the entire Chinese race proud and has proven that Asians can hang with the best of them in track.

Nobody in the stadium would have guessed that Liu would destroy the Olympic record time and tie the world record at this early stage in his hurdling career. To be the first Chinese male athelete to medal in track and field is already history made; everything else that his record run created will change the future of the sport for Chinese and for all Asians.

He's only 21 currently and I think he will lower the World Record time as he matures toward his prime. Also, technically his WR time should be more impressive than Colin Jackson's time from 1993 because Liu had slightly less wind velocity helping him!

Look out IAAF World Championships!! Look out Beijing 2008!

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe....it was a perfect run, he looked great at the beginning.
    it was a great moment:)
    :D :D :D :D

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Colin Jackson said himself from the first round that he was technically the best hurdler and put him to win, even when allen johnson was still in it. was a good tip.

More surprising was theChinese woman winning the 10000m race against the ethiopians.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the commentator at the marathon mentioend the 10k race.

he said the 2nd place runner didn't believe for 10 mins that the Chinese women actually won the race. she thought the chinese was a running who was a lap behind. only after 10mins did she got convince that she got the silver instead of the gold.

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I m not surprised at all...this has been a great olympics for underdogs...good work lui...now if we can find some 100m 200m sprinters, then I will be totally surprised...

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Wahahaha. Here's the proof.
    Runner #1660 thought she had won and raised her hands, I won I won I won!.
    Even when the chinese runner crossed the line & then raised her hands, she was still smiling thinking she had won? I won? I won? LOL

Attached Files:

#12 cooler, Aug 29, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

doing some reading, the women 10,000m world record was held by a chinese too (WANG Junxia) , first under 30 mins.

#13 cooler, Aug 29, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  14. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yup, and the women's 1500m WR is also held by a Chinese, Qu Yunxia!