NEWS : Chong Ming-Choon Eng part ways

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by kwun, Aug 30, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [size=+2]Chong Ming-Choon Eng part ways[/size]

BY RAJES PAUL

The Star
    KUALA LUMPUR: The four-year partnership of former Malaysian number one pair of Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng have come to an end.

The 24-year-old Chong Ming will now team up with youngster Koo Kien Keat while Choon Eng partners Gan Teik Chai at the Malacca Open from Sept 16-19.

After falling short of expectations in the Athens Olympic Games badminton competition recently, national doubles chief coach Yap Kim Hock had decided to split their partnerships.

In Athens, the debutants were eliminated by China's Sang Yang-Zhengbo in the second round.

“I have to admit that Chong Ming-Choon Eng's partnership have stagnated. I do not see them bringing their game to a higher level anymore,†said Kim Hock.

Chong Ming-Choon Eng, who were paired off by former national coach Park Joo-bong four years ago, emerged as the 2002 Japan Open champions and the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games winners. They also reached the 2001 World Championships semi-finals.

“If they complement each other well in Malacca, these pairs will then be sent for the European Grand Prix tournaments (Dutch Open from Sept 28-Oct 3 and Denmark Open from Oct 5-10). If I am not happy with their performances in Malacca, I will then continue to look for new partners for them,†said Kim Hock.

Of the two new combinations in Malacca, Chong Ming-Kien Keat are expected to be the future Malaysian pair to watch out for.

Kien Keat showed that he was ready to take on the big guns when he put up an outstanding show in the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta in May.

Then, he had teamed up with the 27-year-old Choon Eng as the second pair in the tie against Indonesia in the quarter-finals and went down fighting to Flandi Limpele-Eng Hian.

The Malacca Open will also see the appearances of scratch pairs - Choong Tan Fook-Lok Chong Hong and Lee Wan Wah-Razif Rahman.

“I do not have any plans to separate Tan Fook-Wan Wah. But it is pointless to play them in Malacca. I want to see competition in the local circuit and I have given them youngsters as partners. I hope the youngsters will use it as good platform to improve themselves,†he said.

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I am so happy !!! What I had hoped for came true. I hope to see great results produced by Chong Ming and Kien Keat. Tan Fook and Wan Wah should also continue to play. They are great !!!

3. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

OuuuuuuFf !!
    Lee and choong stay together ... =))
    Can anybody tell me if they can choose their partner? or is it just their coach who tell them who is with who??

4. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    well i think mostly is their coach who choose who to be wit who....