Advice please

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dill, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I along with others are wanting to play in the league system in Scotland this year, last year I was part of a University team along with Ynexfan2003 which floundered due to lacking in commited players and as a result we did not progress into the next division.

Instead of phoning round as Ynexfan2003 was left to try and organise a team in the absence of the captain I was thinking the following:

To try and get about 10-12 players who can turn up twice a week, once for a club night and once for a training session, games would be played home and away as per the timeframe set out by the league.

I was thinking in getting more players than we needed (6 players only, for 3 doubles teams) to avoid the situation of last year and people pulling out on the day or away on holiday etc. In having a rotational system simmilar to Chelsea football team of last year where no one is above all others and everyone gets a shot at the team because the original 10-12 are picked of players all at the same level.

I would hope the club nights can be used for practice and working out doubles partnerships and the training night to improve or work on things that seem problematic.

We would have to start in division 3 in whichever league we chose to play and win the majority of games to move into division 2 and so on.

Anyone any opinions or suggestions on the aims or setup? Any advice from other league players would be appreciated!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Set out your aims clearly to the players.

In such a system, participation seems more important than the winning itself. So hopefully, people don't go around blaming each other for losses! Of course, it's nice to win but your priority is everybody getting a fair crack at games.

3. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I haven't been here in such a long time, I forgot that my name is umm...ynexfan2003 (I might have chosen a better name had I expected the account to remain active :rolleyes: ).
    The reason for the team performing so poorly was lack of commitment from the players, which in a sense is the same reason why putting together a team like the one you mentioned, "Dill", will be quite difficult.

I suppose Cheung is right in noticing that disorganisation of this sort really only exists among less competitive players; however, in this case, I think it has more to do with the environment: club badminton in Scotland is very disorganised and, unlike sports such as Football, not well promoted. Moreover, the players of better clubs tend to form a clique and play mostly among themselves (this is the case even within clubs we play at); and so, finding players willing to join a new badminton club with so few members is significantly more difficult than, for example, starting an amateur football or volleyball team.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

how do you get to pick these players?
    Where are they all coming from?

Down my way, it's a struggle to find any new players.
    We're more likely to get new players when a club disbands, or a team drops down a division and the best players don't want to play at the lower level.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

It'll just be a matter of looking about for them :rolleyes:

I've got 5 at the moment, just looking for another 5-7 to make it feasible

6. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Get the money up front :) both to protect yourself and because if people are financially committed the are more likely to turn up!

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

It's an idea but I was working down the lines of we all turn up at club nights, we all turn up at training sessions and we all split the costs evenly.

I know the people will not be there 100% and may have other commitments but the ones so far are committed all the way (in one way or another :eek: )