Towel Grip...

Discussion in 'Grip' started by ldo123, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

Does anyone know how you're supposed to get one of these cotton grips (http://www.qualityshuttle.com/catalog/item/930199/493696.htm) onto a racket? Is there adhesive on the underside? Or do you do you have to wrap it around the grip yourself then tape up the ends... It doesn't mention different sizes, so I wonder how you get it to work for different grip sizes. I've seen some people use cotton grips that you can just slip on and off, but I'm looking for one that can stay on permanently.

thx in advance,
    Laurence

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The grip works with double sided tape, one side sticks to the towel and the other is stuck to the racket.

It's best to wrap your racket handle using electrical tape first so the grip sticks to the tape and is easily removable, it will need changing every so often or it goes hard and is very difficult to use.

3. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

Ah I see. is the tape already on the back of the towel or do you have to buy your own? Also, are you implying that the towel is not a cylinder, but a sheet you wrap around the grip?? I haven't looked at a towel grip close up, but I've always thought they were seamless. There aren't stores with badminton equipment nearby and I don't have a credit card, so I want to make sure I know everything I need before actually trying to procure them.:)

4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
  5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

You would be best to buy a roll, they usually come in 20 metre lengths and will cost much less the more you buy. It's always best to have some more so if this is your forst time putting it on you have some in case you mess up.

The grip is like other grips in that it is a length of material that you wrap round the handle, the double sided tape has a layer on it that you peel away as you wrap on the handle.

6. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

hmmm thx for the reply. so in conclusion... the towel grip at qualityshuttle.com is just a piece of towel, and you have to buy your own double-sided tape and electrical tape. Right?? I just got a little confused with "tape" since there seem to be two types of tape involved.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

No, the grip has it's own tape.

Towel grip is made from toweling, the toweling is cut to size by the manufacturer and stuck to one side of the double sided tape whilst the other side keeps its protective film on so the grip can be wrapped up or folded and packaged like the picture you posted above without sticking to itself.

As you start to wrap the grip you peel off the protective film and stick the grip to your racket handle.

My advice was to buy some electrical tape so you protect your handle because the double sided tape they use to attach the towel is quite strong and would pull up whatever is underneath when you come to take it off!

Depending on how often you play will determine when you have to change the towel grip for a fresh one, the most advisable thing to do is a search on the subject. A lot of people like it and a lot of people don't, if you do a search you will get oother peoples views on using towel grip

8. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

hahah thx. that makes a lot more sense, though now I fee l dumb:rolleyes: I had to have a death grip on my racket which stiffens up my whole arm, or else it would go flying off and clobber someone since I sweat so much. I now use a 20+ years old racket which has a towel grip but weighs like Mt. Everest:eek:

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Your grip should be loose enough to place a shuttle in between the V of your thumb and the handle of the racket.

I think the towel might need changed if you have to grip it so tightly ;) A tight grip would also impede your strokes.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe you can also take a shot at overgrip, which is much cheaper for a "demo run". ;)

Also, if you don't care about the brand, I believe www.badmintonalley.com has some generic ones (20 pieces in a roll) for decent price.

11. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Yer buy a roll simple nice and you can change it often its also a fair bit cheaper

12. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

hmmm... I actually have an overgrip taped on my racket already, but for some strange reason, I find it even more slippery than the original grip. plus I'm hoping the towel will add some thickness to the handle. I didn't know there're different grip sizes when I got my racket, and got one even skinnier than myself--according to my mom, that would be "stick-thin":rolleyes: So until I obtain some new towel grips... I'll be stuck with the Mt Everest racket. proly good for improving arm strength...

#12 ldo123, Sep 7, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2004