can you really put effect on shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kkcalimero, Sep 5, 2004.

1. kkcalimero

kkcalimero New Member

hey I'm wondering if you can really put an effect on the shuttle. I was watching the womens final on the olympics and it seemed like the shuttle went out for like 20 centimeters or even moren and then turned inwards and fell inside.

was this a simple case of deception of the eye or was it real. I have played a few shots, mostly backhand clears that seemed to do similar things but neither nor my opponent really know what actually happened!

I hope to get a few reactions on this one, I have done a search and found things about slicing the shot. But I would describe slicing rather as pretending to smash and really drop?

Any directions to threads covering this are also welcome!

thanks

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    I think what you saw has to do with the angle of the TV camera.

When in flight, the badminton shuttle always spins clockwise (viewed by the hitter). There is an old thread pointing to a PhD thesis on the aerodynamics forces that comes into play for a spinning shuttle, and if you have the stomach for it, you can download the thesis and read it.

For the most parts, experienced players have already taken the modified trajectory into account in judging where the shuttle will land. There is very little one can do to make the shuttle swerve from its already modified trajectory, except when you slice or reverse slice it. In these latter cases, the different spin of the shuttle causes the shuttle to slow down and dip from its trajectory.

3. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    can you really spin a shuttlecock? i know one can definitely do that to a ping-pong ball. wouldn't it be a little difficult for a shuttlecock? afterall it's not spherical in shape.. and there's only that much of surface area for contact for spinnning. :confused:

4. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    When in flight, the shuttle spins automatically, because of the way the feathers are laid out.

To see the direction of the spin, just drop the shuttle from rest. It will only spin very slowly, but you can see that it does so.

Aerodynamically, the shuttle is a comlicated object whose forward velocity is coupled to its spin (meaning that forward velocity can be converted into spin).

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    of course shuttlecocks can be spinned, especially the feather variety. Objects dun have to be spherical to be spinable. Take a look of football(american), bullet. A shuttle is really an arrow but with no shaft and with a softer tip. ;)

learning how to control spin a shuttle is a very desirable skill in badminton, it's one of several skill that set the top players from the recreational players.

#5 cooler, Sep 5, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  6. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    yes u can common tactic used in top singles play now though its often hard to see when yr playing my clear often are curved 20cm or so its very effective and can be used in doubles to prevent smashing attacks its great when you do it few few can in the junior county only a couple over the last few years a great ability soooo glad i can and the other cant :rolleyes: :p :cool:

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    can you explain that one?

I'm a little hazy on exactly what you mean FJ

8. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Sometimes when I clear, it seems to go out from about 10 inches but it mysteriously come back to the line. I don't know if I put effect on it whitout knowing it or its just the wind.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Any AC in the hall? :D

10. kkcalimero

kkcalimero New Member

but how

hey so guess you really can put effect on it huh, appears that i have done a few times... Only I don't know how!!!! hehe

can someone explain how to do it, how do you hit the shuttle to make it curl it's way back inside and so deceive ur opponent making him think it's going out?

11. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I don't mean to offend anyone but how can you hit something one direction and it reverses in mid air :confused:

If a shuttle is en-route to being out or in fact out how can it suddenly come back in unless it is wind assisted in which case it is nothing to do with spin? :confused: :confused:

Anyone?

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

There is an effect that I can't remember the name of, but I doubt it has 10cm worth of movement.
    It's the same as when a gyroscope tries to topple over, but goes sideways instead of down. It precesses. It's to do with angular momentum and changing the direction that the axis of rotation is pointing. You push it one way but the effect is at 90 degress to the direction of the force.

So, how does that relate to the shuttle.
    Well, when you hit a clear, the shuttle travels upwards, and is spinning.
    In it's flight the shuttle goes from pointing up to pointing down.
    THe axis of it's spin has changed direction due to the force of gravity.
    There will be another force acting at 90 degress to the change of direction of the axis, which will be towards the right (according to the Left Hand Rule [I think] )

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Ok, to hit a shuttle over a cliff edge by 10cm what can you possibly do to make it come backwards and land on the edge? (thats the way I'm looking at it)

I'm lost on this one (MAJORLY :confused: )

Can the posters who brought this up originally please clarify.

I can understand spin when the object hits a surface and changes direction but not a "change of direction" in mid air using any hitting technique.

In fact I'm going to post this in a thread to Jonas, if anyone would know it might just be a world champ!!!

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Spinning the bird, I am only able to do it with serves or net play (tumble).

For clears, smashing and drops I am not sure. I was able to do it with clears and smashes, but the shuttles were defective. I was testing some new shuttles from a manufacturer with my coach and when doing clears and smashes the shuttles would make a trajectory leaning to the left - from the right side of the court, doing clears with the bird going out of the sidelines, one could see it landing inside the court. :confused:

Smashing this shuttle was more interesting. With enough power you could see it describing a 'S' when coming at you. :eek:

The gym did not have A/C. At that time we did not enjoy that luxury. :crying:

#14 viver, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  15. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan seems to cut the bird in every shot he makes and yeah it does change the bird direction.

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Slice I can understand, slice will not made the bird come back against the direction it has been hit in at the end of a clear nearly 44 foot in length though.

17. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think we are talking about as the shuttle travels down the tramlines it is going out wide (not long), and then comes back in.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what Neil says is very much possible. with enough spin, i have seen and hit shots that travels along the sideline, leaves the imaginery boundary of the court, and then curves back in. probably not as much as one foot, but enough to be noticable...

19. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Sorry guys when the word "clear" was mentioned I automatically think along the one main vector of length, if you hit it wide then you can make it come back in by using slice and spin as some people call it.

20. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Yer sorry if i wasnt 2 clear yesterday

you cannot reverse a shuttle ..well maybe u can but i cant
    On the clear i hit the shuttle often slightly out of court however because of the spin or whatever when the shuttle reaches the point where it drops the shuttles 'drifts' back into court on or near the line quite lovely and if its worked perfectly the oppenent looks up in puzzlement sometimes;) nice:D
    it rare you see a player able to do it well i dont really know particularly how i do it really.