Cheers Asian Satellite Badminton Championships 2004

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by seven, Sep 6, 2004.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    This competition should be very interesting with lots of upcoming youngsters from Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Thailand .... and Singapore of course! :D

Rivai Achmad has qualified to the main draw in singles, he is set to play Yeoh Kay Bin in the first round!
    He won his first doubles match with Tommy Sugiarto too, they need to win one more to qualify...

The main draw will be starting tomorrow morning.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    for malaysian young ones im thinking of Liew Daren and Steven Raymond. hope they make an impact :)

4. psychopate001

psychopate001 Regular Member

Go Go Go FAI!!!

I support the one who shared his room with me during two weeks in augustus...

Come on Rivai you can do it!!!

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You shared his room?? on what occasion?

Anyway he will be facing a very tough match against top seed Yeoh Kay Bin tomorrow...

6. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    I'm cheering for Zhang Yang of Hong Kong, I got to know him this summer and he's a hilarious guy!! Go HKG!!

7. psychopate001

psychopate001 Regular Member

Heh

I shared his room when I went training in his club in Jakarta :cool: This guy is just CRAZZZZY :D I know he will have a tough match, but I wish he could do sth ;)

8. Panasony

Panasony Regular Member

Achmad lost to first seed Kay Bin 15-11 15-7. But I am still proud of him and hope he and Tommy can be Indonesia's next Taufik.

Beng Hong also defeated Zhang Yang in an apparently closely fought match that ended 15-2, 7-15, 17-14.

The biggest upset should be Darren Liew who lost to Vietnamese Tran 8-15, 15-12, 12-15.

I am now awaiting the score for Tommy's match. I will be going down for the doubles in the evening. Bye Bye

9. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    next taufik? hmm.. is taufik in the dumps now??

i always had some degree of respect for hendrawan. that guy never gave up. i think he's a good role model..

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course Taufik is not in the dumps now. Far from it, he is being resurrected after his Olympic gold medal win. Not even Icuk, the new man at the Badminton Indonesia helm, can afford to dislodge him nor his mentor coach, Mulyo, who also regained favour after his prodigy won the biggest badminton prize at Athens! Fortune favours the winner, as always! ;)

Hendrawan must be highly respected for he is now the women's coach. So your respect for Hendrawan is not misplaced! :) Joko Suprianto, possibly another of Indonesia's role model, continues to coach Sony.

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I wish they updated their website more regularly... we still don't know whether Tommy Sugiarto has won his first round match! :(

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Cool :)

It's nice to see you made friends with one of Indonesia's future stars! :D
    Unfortunately for him, he lost this morning but according to the score he must have put up a good fight...

13. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    CHUA James lost to CHAN Yan Kit of HkG.15-6, 11-4 {Retired}
    Is it him?CHUA James?the former Malaysian open ms champion?

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was at the SBA Hall this morning at slightly past 9 to catch a glimpse of the young newcomers but so far, up until 12 noon, none really impressed me. There are still more men's singles matches in the afternoon, but I need to return to office.

Last year, Simon Santoso, was the one who created a lot of excitement as he brushed away all in his path except Ronald Susilo, to whom he lost in the Final. It was therefore not surprising that Simon became Indonesia's third singles for the TC. Ronald did not play in the singles this year, but he is partnering Kendrick Lee, Singapore's No. 2, in the doubles. In his place, Yeoh Kay Bin of Malaysia is seeded no. 1.

Kay Bin managed to dispose of Achmad Rivai of Indonesia in straight games. Achmad actually started well with well-executed strokes but his fitness failed him. He tried to steal a breather here and there, but the umpire was too experienced for him and it accounted for his shorter stay on the court during the second game. I think Achmad made the mistake of playing in both singles and doubles (with Tommy Sugiarto) and having to qualify in both events. It just sapped too much of his energy and against the fitter and more experienced Kay Bin, this is suicidal!

I thought the match between Kuan Beng Hong (seeded 3/4) of Malaysia and Zhang Yang of Hong Kong, was the most exciting. Kuan took the first game easily at 15-2 and many would have thought it was going to be a walkover. But Zhang had other ideas in the second game and took it back with lots of attacking shots 15-7, to force a rubber. The third game was a see-saw, with both players trying their best to stay on top. Just as an upset seemed to be in making, Kuan summoned all his reserves to win all three duece points to make it 17-14, thus justifying his seeding.

I just saw the result of the match between James Chua, former Malaysian National Champion who is making a comeback, and Chan Yan Kit of Hong Kong, and was shocked to discover that James retired after winning the first game 15-6 and leading 11-4 in the second. Could it be injury to James again?

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes it looks like James Chua got injured again... bad news! :(

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    All the men's singles Round 1 results are available now at the website. Tommy beat Zainudin Zairul Hafiz of Malaysia, 15-4, 17-14. :)

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Website has been updated...

According to the website, Chin Eei Hui and Wong Pei Tty conceeded a walk-over in WD... has anyone heard about them being injured? :confused:

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, last evening, after the offical matches were over quite early at around 7.30, the Malaysian contingent remained behind for more training.

I had a chance to see James for the first time in person. I have to admit that he is on the 'heavy' side and this could have contributed to his injury if this is confirmed as true. During his training, I could sense that James was very committed and certainly wanted to do well. He might have overdone it a bit, unfortunately! :(

19. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

Chinese Taipei girls seem do be doing well up to now

20. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    HOON Thien How/TAN Boon Heong beat the top seeds NARKTHONG Nuttaphon/NGENSRISUK Parnuvat 15-12/15-4