Looking for Raquet Advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by s3Rial, Sep 6, 2004.

1. s3Rial

s3Rial New Member

Hi there, :)

Using the equipment review forums, I've been able to narrow my selection down to a few raquets, and would apreciate some community input or other suggestions.

My current raquet is a Yonex Isometric 100 (long, 2U). I've had it for about 4 years now, and would like to take the jump upto a serious raquet. ($200-$250 CDN, slightly flexible upto around $300). Review for previous racquet is below, and I completely concur with what was said about it (I thought the exact same before reading the reviews):

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=247&sort=7&cat=4&page=4

My playstyle information is as follows:

• Play doubles most often, so clash durability and reactionary shot speed is a factor.
    • Control-oriented player (do a fair amount of feigns and drops), however smash power is a definate factor. My primary issue with my current raquet is the [lack of] smash power, along with the weight.
    • Would greatly prefer a 3U, or even a 4U as long as they can take a clash and survive.
    • Prefer the Isometric head, as it has a more forgiving head for a reactionary shot or a hard dig on a bird.
    My selections were:

• Yonex AT800 and 700 series raquet seem to be something along the lines of what I'm looking for, however I couldn't find a price listed in CDN. Could I get some input about how well they suit my play style?
    • MP100 seems to be a smash-oriented raquet, but less so than the Ti-10. How well would the MP100 play in a doubles match being head-heavy? I would imagine it would allow me to better explore my power game.

2. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    MP99 or Mp88 seems to be good for you

3. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Zhang Jun uses MP100 for XD, I think it should be fine if you get the 3U.

4. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

5. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I agree that the 99 suits you. I have one myself for doubles play.

Here's the thing though as an aside, higher end racquets are inherently less survivable in a clash. It'just the trade off you have to pay for having a skinnier frame. My ISO 500 Long was completely destroyed by someone with a yonex low end aerotus, which suffered not even a paint chip on post inspection.

To comfort you though, my 99 has been in 2 small clashes and survived with a light chip.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are a few contradicting factor in badminton racket design. weight, durability, power, speed.

if you need power, you need a heavier racket for the momentum, but that means reaction speed will be slower.

if you want speed, that means the racket will be lighter but that also means it is less durable.

in other words, there is a trade-off between all these factors, it is up to you to choose which characteristic is more important for you.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Always try it before purchase. Get a demo from local stores or borrow from friends / club members. The ones you listed above are fairly popular ones, and should not be hard to get one for demo.

Once u play with each one for 10-20 min, your choice will be further narrowed down. :)

8. s3Rial

s3Rial New Member

Thanks everyone for some great replies. :)

I'll try to get a hold of a demo model for an MP99 and give it a try.

9. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Several years ago, i would have said ISO 900 since you like ISO series.

But now, since ISO900 is discontinued, I would also say Mp99 2U. 3U one has less smashing power compared to 2U.

One advice - always try before you buy. mp99 does not come cheap :) Btw, Armortec does not suit me.

10. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    agree with everyone above, MP99 seems tailored made for you. Good control in drops, and good power if yielded correctly. My style is similar to yours and I also use a MP99.

One small bit of advice; even though you might get a chance to demo the MP99, the racquet usually takes a little while to get used to. IMO I would see how the balance and overall racquet feels in your hand, and not worry so much about the initial pop or power. That will usually come in time. I know its a big expense, but if you've built up some good fundamentals in your 4 years, it should be a good racquet in your hands.

good luck.

11. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

If you can find it check out the MP90 and MP66....my 66 has taken hard clash from lady player who said she knew how to play mixed dbls but in reality did not know and gave my racket quite a knock. Chipped the paint down to the black was all. If you are playing with people who know how to play dbls then you will seldom have a clash of rackets....how often do you see a clash of rackets in a major Tournament? If this is a problem area for you then do NOT buy Yonex, at least dont spend 300 for a racket you might break by someone making a bad play....Most expensive rackets are really not suited for the avg player no matter what the hype. MP100 is tremendous racket in the right players hand but a terrible racket in my hand...TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT...