How to improve skills when one is alone?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by redkingjoe, Sep 6, 2004.

1. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Dear all,

If I am alone every Monday and Friday night(no friends/Coach or club members) what are the best things to do to improve my Badminton skills?

I want to train myself well and don't want to wast my time.

Can somebody give me some advise?

Thanks and best regards

Red King

2. TTT

TTT Regular Member

-foot work
    -doing drives/flat shots to the wall
    -practice your serves
    -do some weight lifting/running

or just take a break on those days and let your body recover from training on other days

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    skipping rope also helps a lot.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    strafing, side steps, reverse and forward motions all around the court. just like shadow but without racquet.

helps with your foot work + your in court awareness (helps you measure the court subconsiously so you know where ever you are whenever during the game)

just my 2 cents :D

5. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Watch badminton video ... :)

6. (Fox)

(Fox) New Member

Servers - definately serves.

7. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Practicing badminton doesn't have to always be physical. Although doing footwork drills (see Kwun's article) and weightlifting/running is important, as SteveStanley remarked, WATCH VIDEOS- you will learn so many things that you can improve on, and want to copy hehe. You can imporve your backhand strength by attempting to hit a shuttle with your backhand as high as you can until it touches the ceiling or whatever. Count the number of times you reach a certain point, or the number of times you are able to hit the bird using your backhand. Not sure if this REALLY does anything but it sure gives something to do. Reading different articles will help too =)

jaywangsa likes this.
  8. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    comphrehensive introduction to training oneself alone

Dear all,

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually:

1 I watched a lot of vedio on the other days( also rest when watching).

2 I have special days for practice endurance(run/swim) and weight-lifting.

But I have a spare(empty) Badminton court on two nights when nobody is there:

3 What will be the most effective way to using the court? (I have already done a lot of self-serving)

4 Which set of footwork will be the best to practice alone?

5 Does anyone have a comprehensive manual/list for training oneself on badminton alone in an empty court?

6 Can somebody ask some professional coach on this and share with us?

Thank you very much.

9. klaw7891

klaw7891 New Member

All footwork is good to practice alone...
    However, having a partner is much more beneficial than having a court to yourself, because you can actually keep hitting the shuttle. Repeating shots with your partner hitting it back helps you eliminate errors and become more accurate. When you're at home, picking up the shuttle with your racket, spinning and catching, and throwing it up with your racket and catch are three good skills to learn. These help with finger control.

10. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow, with an empty court available, I would probably do the four point and six point drills. And then some stretch/endurance drills of lunging along the boundary of the court. Basically some speed and strength training with body weight only.

If I get tired, then practice serves.

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum very bored right now during school...oh well might as well post some stuff. Well you say that you have a free court all to urself then i would personally do some footwork and then practice searving for a while. if you get bored of that or feel you have had enough then you can always do clearing/smashuing drills well thats my 2 cents.

12. aznphi1osopher

aznphi1osopher Regular Member

jump ropes is the way to go ^_^, just use your wrist to swing the rope, and keep all your jumps as low as possible, and fast too ^_^ and erm.. foot works foot works foot works.. yea.. basically what everyone said -_-

13. Jadon

Jadon Regular Member

Student
    Driving the bird against the wall is good practice for the drives in game as it allows you to react faster, and possibly catch the opponent off guard if you can react that second faster. It also helps you with the reflex shots as you are constantly trying to keep the bird in play and maybe even help to develop some trick shots like between the legs shot :)

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I managed to be able to practice drops all by myself :)

Here is how:
    1.Start from facing the net, postion is close to the net, you hit the shuttle toward your backcourt with the style of hitting underhands. You need to hit it really HIGH in order to give you 2 seconds to run to the back court.

2.Run as fast as you can, and then, proceed with the drop/smash/drive to the other side of the court.

:D:D

It's just something to kill time before the badminton session starts, but hey, it works :cool:

15. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Sounds cool. Thanks.

Redking

16. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Approach someone!!!

It's really sad to be playing badminton alone. Just me new people and play with them. You can learn alot from playing with strangers.

17. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    good tips..il be practising them day aftyer tomorrow in my skool..cant wait...

18. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

anyone ever use a mirror?

you can use a large mirror or reflective window or even your own shadow and improve your swing /techniques or whatever you want... if you have an idea of what the perfect swing(s) looks like then you can easily improve your own

i do this quite often because i think if it looks good your usually doing it better... if it looks sloppy than you probably need to improve soemthing about how your swinging/moving/playing.

you can't really improve how your strokes look unless you know thats wrong with them.. i even practice my jump smash in front of a mirror from time to time.

aside from that - juggling the shuttle will make you waaayyyy better at net play

and footwork - get a walkman/discman put on some music that makes you want to move and work on footwork for awhile - dont go too fast .. make sure you take the right steps first...speed comes second.