NEWS : Bukit Jalil shuttlers up against players of different strokes

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by seven, Sep 8, 2004.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Wednesday September 8, 2004
    [size=+2]Bukit Jalil shuttlers up against players of different strokes[/size]

KUALA LUMPUR: They are of the same age group but it seemed like a battle between “David and Goliath†when the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) badminton players came up against a group of Danish juniors at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

The relatively smaller Malaysians played a series of matches against the “Team Attack†of Danish number one Peter Gade-Christensen.

The Malaysians won most of the matches against the Danes, who are between the ages of 14 and 19.

Among the Danish players was 18-year-old lanky Martin Bille, who won the European Championships Under-19 doubles title with Mikkel Delbo last year.

Bille said that the heat was their biggest obstacle during their first training and sparring session with the BJSS players.

[​IMG]
    MEETING UP: The Malaysian Sports School Council (MSSM) Under-15 boys’ singles champion Lim Fang Yang (third from left) exchanging tips with Martin Bille (second from right) and his teammates after a training-cum-sparring session between the BJSS and junior badminton players from Denmark at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara here yesterday. – STARpic by DARRAN TAN

“It is a fantastic feeling to be here and a great experience,†said Bille, who is from Club Herlev.

“It is very hard to play to my true ability because it is hot. Probably, I will need three or four days to reach my maximum potential.

“I was selected to join “Team Attack†and it is great to be under Peter's guidance. He is trying to teach us how to play and be professional.

“He is teaching us what it takes to reach his level. I hope to make it big like him one day.â€

Delbo, who hails from the same club Gentoffe in Copenhagen as Gade-Christensen, hopes to follow in the footsteps of his mentor too.

“We train every Sunday for two-and-half hours with Peter. It is the best training throughout the week,†said Delbo.

“We pay 6,000 kroner (RM3,700) a year. It's a lot of money but it is all right when you look at what is given back to you. I hope to just be like Peter and try to win at the Olympics and World Championships.â€

Malaysia's diminutive Lim Fang Yang, the Under-15 boys' singles champion, was grateful for the experience to play against the Danes.

“Being short can be a disadvantage but I am faster on court. But this experience has helped me not to be threatened by their height. It is a great opportunity to learn their style of play,†said Fang Yang, who won both his two matches yesterday.

“They have Peter as their role model while I have (Lee) Chong Wei (Malaysia's second ranked men's singles player). He (Chong Wei) may not be very tall but he can give his opponents a good fight.â€

The 27-year-old Gade-Christensen said the sparring sessions were beneficial to both sides.

“We are different people and have different styles. It was certainly a good learning experience.

“All players gave their best and I am happy to see the excitement on everyone's faces. I am enjoying this too,†said Gade-Christensen.

“For now, we are not making any profit from running this team.

“I have three coaches and one physiotherapist, who are here without being paid anything.

“We just want to ensure that, like Malaysia, we will have youngsters making their way to the top.

“In future, we may have sponsors to help us financially.â€

The joint training and sparring session will last for two weeks.

#1 seven, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  2. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    that there is our malaysian school under 15 champion. barely 5 feet tall, dont let his height fool you, he isnt a one eyed jack in the land of the blind.

but we are hoping that he will eventually 'shoot up' of course.

proof of development in malaysian badminton :)

cheers