ways to improve yr footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fengtai42, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fengtai42

fengtai42 Regular Member

hi,

i been realli weak in my footwork. any 1 knows of ways that footwork can be improve to make that game in badminton more exiting???

thanks

2. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    do the spilts while lunging for the bird :p

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

The best way to improve footwork is to practice it. Try pushing yourself (moving faster) when you have the proper footwork down.

4. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

I can't agree more with Joseph's comment there, it's all practice makes perfect. First learn the correct footwork, then speed it up when you get use to the movement. Start off with the half court and then onto the full court.

All the best!

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You can start to practice your footwork by slow motion walking. Then, do that everytime before you play badminton, and sooner or later, you will get used to the pattern and you will learn it. Watching Videos or coaching will both help as well.

6. Jadon

Jadon Regular Member

Student
    Use big steps and try to cover the court in as little steps as you can. You can do footwork drills on your own, or you can incorporate the footwork drills with other drills such as backdrops / drops with a partner.

7. buluayam

buluayam Regular Member

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, but have been reading on it for quite awhile now - there's lots of techniques and very interesting suggestions that I've found from this forum! :D

Anyway, just thought I'd start contributing to these forums. As Jonas has said, make sure you take big steps when you try your footwork out on the court.

I have never been formally coached, but a friend of mine who has been coached before once told me that the proper footwork to aim for is to be able to reach every corner of the court in 2 steps (or 3 if you've got quite short legs), if you imagine yourself standing in the center of the court.

Another technique which would help, is to make sure you are taking low and fast steps (almost like gliding across the court), and not 'hopping' motions when trying to cover the court - your feet will have to cover less distance when taking steps! Of course, this takes some practice, as I found myself tripping over my feet in the past before I figured out the right amount of distance to lift my feet :eek: