Racketlon !

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Neil Nicholls, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    darn...i thought it was a racket selling store like Decathalon (in france) :crying:
    looks interesting....the squash and badminton are the most similar sports

3. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Wow, this looks great - I would need to start working on my squash and particularly my table tennis, but it looks like something I could get into in the future!

4. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

r

I've seen events like this before and they usually only have badminton, tennis and squash. I've never seen one that included table tennis. Usually they are tennis players who can pick up the other two sports, but it's nice to see badminton players do well in the other two.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    A lot of badminton coaches this end (mainly Pakistani and Indian) are also very good at TT.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Racketlon is getting quite big here in Sweden, as you will realize if you checm out the world rankings...

I've tried it a couple of times, and it's great fun. I played a lot of tennis and table tennis when I was younger, so for me the squash part was the hardest. I've played squash perhaps 10-15 times in my life, so I'm a complete beginner there.

A guy in my badminton club actually holds a national ranking in racketlon, and he claims that badminton and squash players tend to do well in the sport, whereas tennis players tend to worst. Their swings and footwork become a hindrance in the other sports. Squash players generally do better in tennis than in badminton, as they don't need to play overheads in tennis. Their badminton game becomes very drive oriented. On the other hand, badminton players do have a problem with those bouncing balls... :D But they're great in volley play in both tennis and squash!

The tactics of racketlon is pretty special due to the scoring system. In the end, your total score is just the sum of points won in the four games -- ie you can theoretically lose 3 out of 4 games and still win the match! Not giving points away becomes just as important as earning them... In other words: when I go into the badminton game against an opponent that I know I can beat easily in badminton but will lose out to in some other event, my goal has to be not only to win, but to win 15-0! I need to rob him of as many points as possible... :p And a point is won by whoever wins the rally, regardless of who served, so there are no "easy matches" in racketlon!

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    By the way, I'm moving this to the General forum, as it's not a UK-only topic.