New FAQ: How to use a search engine

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Pecheur, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Kwun I believe we need a new FAQ, or help page, or attachment to the Sticky, on how to use a/the search engine. We get so many posts along the lines of: "How do I" or "Compare racquet A to racquet B" to which the response is: "Do a search" which often, unless they're immature little schnizts (like the one you just banned), gets the response of: "I did but I couldn't find anything" despite the fact that there are ten threads on the topic.

Of course this is just pure internet illiteracy, which is relatively easy to cure. I'd write this myself, however I'd probably come across as a condescending, arrogant prick, which is fine for my personal persona, however I don't think that's in the best interest of the site.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes, we need to do something about it :)

For example,
    When searching for MP-100's threads, people can type in:
    "MP100"
    "MP-100"
    "Muscle Power 100"
    "MP 100"
    "Yonex MP-100"
    and so on.....this is just an example to show that, searching is something that people need to think about the phrasing.

If we educate people who to use search properly, I think moderators will have less troubles to deal with :) (and also making the quality of threads better)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i like this idea.

any volunteer?

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

OT, but as I'm reading this, Kwun had 8,888 posts, so Kwun's due to be really, really, really, really properous? ;)