Acceptable noise levels in badminton venue

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by annab, Sep 10, 2004.

1. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    Hi,

I was wondering if there is any badminton law or rule about the acceptable noise levels in the playing area.

I never really thought about it before until the club I play at (Yonex Badminton Club Philippines) decided to open up a karaoke lounge. I am pretty upset by it because it's so loud and it affects my concentration and mood.

Not one to just sit back and take s**t from anyone, I sent them a curt email saying that they should sound proof it better or just shut it down.

However, I'd like to back up my complaint with a "right" to play in an environment that adheres to the Laws of Badminton. It's the least I can expect from a club that is directly affiliated with Yonex.

So is there any such law?

Regards,

Anna

2. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

I hope not because crowd involvement adds to the atmosphere - i think they are supposed to be quite during rallies though...same with tennis am i right?

one thing i have noticed though in watching badminton vids i've downloaded recently is ppl clashing these things togehter - they look like empy shuttle tubes or something.. i dont know how the players can stand that

when i'm watching it sounds like its coming from another game offcourt because the sound of those things clanking together sounds similar to a shuttle being hit only much louder.... i find it distracting just as i'm watching...let alone playing the game.

3. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    I wish it was the crowd showing support. Unfortunately, it is amateur singing with echo effects turned up high! OMG!

It's something I might expect from a lesser known club but this is the Yonex Badminton Club. You'd think they'd be held to a higher standard and provide an atmosphere where we can elevate our game.

Sigh.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. there is a lot of difference between crowd noise and unrelated noise.

i used to play in a gym that shares between basketball and badminton. the noise level was quite unbearable.

imho, karaoke noise is unbearable with or without badminton.

5. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Then it must be tough for you to be friends with Nancy cause she loves her karaoke. :D :D :D :eek:

6. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

occassionally we are playing when there will be a lion dance troupe practising by the side.
    Man! We can't even think loudly when playing.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Silence is golden

A strong argument can be made maintaining for relative quiet while a point is in progress for either tennis or badminton. The sound of the ball/shuttle on the strings of the racket provides important clues as to how it is struck... is it a brushed sound or does the ball/shuttle pop! off the strings?

These audio clues can be very important on hard hit shots like tennis serve & groundstrokes as well as for clears, smashes, half-smashes & cut drops in badminton. You can also tell how hard or soft a shot is, in part, by the volume of sound of the contact.

Being able to hear your opponent move while you are visually focused on the ball/shuttle might also provide some useful information.

Any other thoughts on this?

#7 SystemicAnomaly, Sep 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2004
  8. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    hey, just yesterday, i was playing at the club.. aaaaaaannnnnnnnd , think of the wildest thing one can do on a badminton court! ..

a girl was practising VOLLEYBALL on her own rite next to the court we were playing at.. at first, i was deeply annoyed.. but then, after awhile it became amusing !! i couldn't stop grinning at the weirdness!!! but this little scene actually made me play a little better... though it couldn't stop me from losing ! hahah! and FY(/A)I lose 9 out 10 games that i play!!!
    :D

9. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

it is so damn annoying to have someone saying sth to you while u try to do a shot

i was playing with a absloute beginner

i try to take all the shot myself

and the dude just shout "smash"

while i am trying to smash, i screwed up da shot

~~~~~~

there is another case,

while i was trying to drive a shot , da dude shouted "smash"

i screwed so badly, ended up a high drive to d net

being smashed by opp.

10. Woody

Woody Regular Member

If you are playing any kind of game where its necessary to concemtrate then yes its good to have little or no distraction.

By that I mean karioke , line dancing, keep fit or a completely different sport.

If its noise generated by an enthusiastic crowd then long may it continue. That should just give you encouragement provided its not booing or cat calling.

11. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    enthusiastic crowd is brill excellent more the better when u play tis fanastic

shouting on court when smashes are hit is fine (i do it)

put offs is totally unwanted

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry to be off topic.

Just say, if I ever come to visit CA buddies, that problem might be tripled, as I just hold the mic, and never give it to others. :D

13. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    They should play like high nrg music when they play badminton. I've tried it before and it got pretty crazy....crazy meaning intense badminton play with some of the other players...=D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the accpetable level really depends on how intensive the games are. If high level competitive games, distraction might be a negative factor. Imagine how players as well as others could concentrate, when there are soft pop songs were sang in a very "un-professional" voice... :D

However, if just club level play, and most players were tend to do some work out and having a bit fun, then, a bit music actually is not too bad of an idea. This club I attend, sometimes have a radio set on, playing some popular pop music, which can make ppl quite relaxing while enjoying the work out. Of course, the volume was always set to be relatively low. Therefore, if you want to concentrate in the current game, it's not very hard to just ignore the sound.

15. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Annab - hi, I was able to play last sat (sept 11) at Yonex, and yes the karaoke was going on.. it was amusing.. but I get your point, paying a premium membership rate, and then getting a distraction like that..

On the other hand in tenpin bowling.. some people try to look for lanes near noisy players to develope their concentration...

regards