HOW to prevent a BAD day

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Sep 11, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

a lot of ppl who plays some kinda sports probably realized there are some days where u just can't play to ur usual standards. in badminton for example, there are days we just feel so sluggish and our smash powers are pretty dissappointing, even when u feel wide awake. a lot of ppl (i predict) probably knows or came across these days, and probably know how to handle this, but i also found out there are lots of ppl who don't when i read the equipment reviews. especially a sport like badminton which needs explosivenss and power, u need to be on a GOOD day consistentaly, and i created some sorta 'rules' to prevent these days. not sure they were discussed b4, but here goes...

1. EAT at least 1 hour b4 playing. try to eat some sort of meat of some sort or anything that will produce kinetic energy. also, the worst thing to do is eat a meal just b4 playing(with the exception of quick energy bars) . not eating at all is better than eating just b4 playing, since u will produce no power AT ALL if u do. not sure why, but it's true.

2. ALWAYS stretch b4 playing. 10 mins is good enough. stretch all ur leg muscles and arm muscles the most thoroughly. after stretching, then hop up and down for a few seconds and see if ur body still feels stiff. if so, then stretch more. after stretching, jog and run a lil to shake off any stiffness. after u think u feel a little bit out of breath (u can check by the amount of sweat. if ur sweating just enough to feel hot, ur ready) after doing so, get on court and work on push, drives, or anything tha doesn't require so much muscles. after a few minutes, go on smashing, clearing, etc.

that's about it. plz feel free to add more, since i'm still not sure if this is perfect. bye bye, off to play now:)

2. badmad

badmad Regular Member

I always play early in the morning... sth around 5.30-8AM.

so as soon as I get up, I make sure I've sth in my empty stomach. Otherwise it's too tough to concentrate on badminton. :p

and if u play in morning sessions, then a sound sleep is MUST. Otherwise, u'd have will to play but ur muscles won't really move as u wish too... :D

3. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Or instead of going through all that trouble, you can always find a good partner. :D :D

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    How to prevent a bad day? That's easy, just stay at home and sleep all day will do it. :D:D

5. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

well, today i went to a 3.5 hour session, where i do excercises and stuff. just for experiment, i went there without eating for about 4 hrs... and guess what? since there was no food for burning, my legs felt like they were g2 fall off. my whole body felt tired, but i was able to produce power. this is the exact opposite when u eat something just b4 u play. so...

if u don't eat
    - ur g2 feel tired, but u can produce power in ur shots

if u eat just b4 playing
    -ur not g2 feel tired, but u won't be able to produce power even if u smash with all ur might. also, occasionally, u will feel some pain in ur stomach.

so, the best way is eat about 1-2 hrs b4 playing/:)

6. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I had my first official bad terrible horrific day today.

I just want to say, never play badminton when you are sleepy. Also never eat greasy food like KFC chicken before playing. :mad: I felt so dizzy from the grease. It was terrible, I felt so tired and did not want to move. I had to get some sugar for temporary energy to play. All my shots were off, I kept mssing, couldn't pick up birdie with racquet, blah blah blah. :( I learned my lesson.

7. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Whoah, thanks for reviving this thread. I wouldn't have found it if you wouldn't. I'd have to agree with Dave here; do not play badminton near bedtime. When you play, you feel sleepy an your reflexes goes horrible. When you try to sleep, you can't, thanks to those natural stimulants. I still have bad days 2 out of every 5 times; does anyone have anymore tips? :confused:

8. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    For me, I'll make sure...

-That I sleep earlier than usual (This helps me alot for some reason)
    -Prepare comfortable clothing
    -Eat well the night before:p

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    (1) Deep sleep

(2) full stomach 3 hours before baddie

(3) no work & family issues lingering

(4) spend half an hour or an hour warming up

(5) stretches afterward especially the hamstrings

(6) relax even during very intense games

10. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Eat a live frog, first thing in the morning. Compared to that, the rest of your day would be a piece of cake. :D

11. superpilun

superpilun New Member

On a bad day, frustration and worsening play are a downward spiralling path. Just remember you're playing because you like to play - try to have some fun.

12. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Oh no, I forgot to share some of my tips. :eek:

- Running or skip roping helps to fight lethargy
    - I also drink a cup or two of green tea; cofee or any kind of tea
    probably wouldn't make a difference.
    -Take a good night's sleep.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Get plenty of rest/sleep and also eat moderately.

14. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

I don't eat for 2 and a half hours before play otherwise I get a terrible stitch and can't play. With the exception of a few pieces of fruit before play to give me some energy.

Definitely lots of stretches, also joint exercises, rotating your shoulders, ankles etc. I also like to do a few hundered skips to get me going.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

Once a while, if i over focus in an intensive game, my body got tighten up, and got frustrated easily is losing. Even if i won some of these games at the end, i don't enjoy it as much as always.

Therefore, 100% agree on "fun 1st, competitive 2nd". :p

16. cyal8r

cyal8r Regular Member

Graphics
    It's all good advice, being able to keep calm and play through it is in its self an important skill. You need to be able to perform to the best of your ability on that day even when you know you're not at your best.

It's like when a race car driver has a bad setup on the car, you still have to go racing and drive around the problems, maybe try different things. Like if you not moving and smashing great then use the time to analise your opponent and pick on their weakness as best you can maybe with drops, cross court, whatever they don't like! :cool:

17. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

It's because you're stomach starts to work then, resulting in a loss of power of around 30%.

18. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Or, you can claim the tyres are unsafe and boycott the race. :D

19. badm addict

badm addict Regular Member

Student
    I tend to have bad days if i have been doing a project/intense homework the past day or on the day of badminton. So SLACK OFF and dont work.:D procrastination is bliss. :p

20. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    wow, u have places open that early to play?

wish we had some here.... :crying: