User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by david14700
    I'm sure it's been said on this forum before, but some guys really think their badminton makes them special or something. They look down on beginners like some lower form of life. It's just so unecessary.
    Tell me about it. We have that problem with the club here. All the "advanced" people think too highly of themselves and are biased towards certain people so they allow very few people to play with them. The sad part is they just hog one of our three courts and don't allow anyone else to play there while there are 20 people waiting on the sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i dont really go alonr we usually go play in a large group or sometimes some of us get there early and we have a partner but i remember one time i went to play and nobody showed up for about an hour so i just played against some adults and well it was all good they also came alone looking for sombody to play with so yea its ok to go alonr but you just have to be like willing to play or ask other people if they want to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go at least once a week alone to practice serves and footwork. Usually for around 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoboTheBadder
    Tell me about it. We have that problem with the club here. All the "advanced" people think too highly of themselves and are biased towards certain people so they allow very few people to play with them. The sad part is they just hog one of our three courts and don't allow anyone else to play there while there are 20 people waiting on the sides.
    Worst case, the "advanced" players would cut the line and take over the court ignoring others ahead of them. This actually happend to me when I was new to a local club about a year ago. The rule is first come first server, everyone lines up by placing their name tags. My partner and I followed the rule and was waiting. When the match was finally over, and it was our turn, 4 "advanced" players cut in and begun to take over the court. They simply ignored us even we told them we were ahead in the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    do any of you head off to a open gym / club alone? i think a lot of ppl do.

do you find it hard to find a partner if you go there by yourself?

a lot of times, people go to the gym in pairs or in 4's. they tend to prefer to play together.

however, i do notice that quite a lot of ppl go to the gym by themselves. i think if the players are good, then it is ok as they don't have problem finding a partner.

however, if one is a beginner or low intermediate, it is usually much harder. usually beginner maybe new to the gym/club and not know too many people.

like a few days ago, i was in the gym using 1/2 court warming up with Janet. another person came up standing at the court side. we thought she was waiting for her partner. but her partner never came. and then later on, two more guys came over asking her if she is using the court and then she let those two guys use the other half of the court and she left without playing.

normally we'd have no problem playing with her, but we didn't know she didn't have a partner, and she does have to find a partner. i guess she was there just hoping someone would step in and play with her.
    I normally go to the club alone. It is hard to find a regular partner because everyone has different commitment and schedule. So, I rather just go whenever I feel like it instead of going through the trouble of making arrangement.

As to find partner to play a match, normally it is not an issue as the court is first come first serve. Everyone hangs his/her name tag and line up. So, you seldom get to play with the same partner. It is normally a different person each time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default These people leave a sour taste in your mouth...

Quote Originally Posted by david14700 View Post
    I went to a new gym alone for the first time last week. It was a horrible experience.

The club is split into two distinct groups - one of almost total beginners and one very advanced group of 5 guys, plus the coach. The coach played with me first and then tried to put me with the advanced players but they kept rotating the odd player so that they played continuously by themselves on the same court.

The one time the odd player who was left out played with me, I beat him (even though I was playing with the weaker partner) and he just walked off after the last point without a word or shaking hands. During the game he acted like he was doing us all a great honor by playing us. He was such an a**hole!!

I'm sure it's been said on this forum before, but some guys really think their badminton makes them special or something. They look down on beginners like some lower form of life. It's just so unecessary.
    People like him leave a sour taste in my mouth. I used to play with a guy like that too. I didn't actually see his true colours until I was standing on the sidelines, and watching his behaviour. He felt like he was elite of the elite, (and he was like you said: doing everyone a favour by playing with them). We still play with him, sometimes when we need a 4th player, but I try not to make a habit of it.

It's quite frustrating to play with people like this; only when we need a 4th player do we make an exception.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post Cappy! Good recommendations.

One recommendation I have that I've seen work successfully is reserve a court and invite people to play. You will make friends in no time because: no waiting. Initially it may costs you some but in the end, you'll solve your problem pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75 View Post
    Kwun's story about the girl was very sad, but her situation could have been avoidable. I go to play alone all the time and it's not as bad if you are an experienced player. After doing that for a few years, I have developed a somewhat thick-skinned initiative and just plain out ask people for games. No point wasting time just standing on the court or waiting for invitation.

After becoming a regular at a certain gym, the problem just solve by itself when I befriend people over time and generally play with players around my level.

It's definitely tougher for newbies, but not impossible. The starting point of every game is just opening your mouth to ask.

I alway favor an organised court rotation for gyms. Going into games either as a group or an individual, a good system will ensure that everybody (shy or not) can play.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to be accepted as a member of a "social group", before get accepted as a "designated partner", when we 1st visit a club. As long as you have several buddies around, you will have an easier and easier life.

However, I have to say, the problem is easier to be handled in a club, which is well organized and have enough court time for everyone. If a free or a very cheap open club, with very limited playing time for everyone, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    I think we need to be accepted as a member of a "social group", before get accepted as a "designated partner", when we 1st visit a club. As long as you have several buddies around, you will have an easier and easier life.

However, I have to say, the problem is easier to be handled in a club, which is well organized and have enough court time for everyone. If a free or a very cheap open club, with very limited playing time for everyone, good luck.
    Our club works it like this:

i) If there are enough people to fill up all the courts (and people have to sit off), no singles may take place until things thin out a lot.

ii) Each group of 4 are permitted to play at 20 minute intervals. (So, depending on the matchups, this could be one game or 3 games.)

iii) Tuesday/Thursday: these nights are known as social nights and will have games pre-arranged.

iv) Monday/Wednesday/Friday: these nights are arranged by the players only, but must include EVERYONE (name tag system). For the most part, it works the way that it should. You do get the odd spoilers though who believe they have run of the facilities. They have started asking a couple of people to moderate things, just so everyone has a chance to play so that new people aren't left out.

v) Saturday/Sunday: Mostly, you arrange your own group to play with. Chances are very good that if you show up by yourself, you will not get a chance to play. I look at the weekend as 'family days', as a lot of young families are out teaching their kids how to play. This being said, there are always at least 4 other courts available to have competitive/recreational games on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play singles but i prefer to go in groups or pairs... me shy ... hides in turtle shell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, all the time! I know most of the people there, so it's not hard to find playing partners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go with my friends, but when they can't come, I just play with other ppl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Going to Gym alone.

Hi guys,
    I used to travel overseas and most of the times, I go to the gym alone.I remember when I was in HCMC,I went to a Gym lone and being unable to communicate in Vietnamese, I started to use sign languages.Finally I managed to find a lady who can speak very simple English,,,,Oh! Thanks god, my problem was solved. From then, I made many friends and knew alots of places to play in HCMC.
    U got to ask and be friendly. In China too, I go around and ask and make alots of friends and get alots of contacts to play with.
    Logo::::"Who dares Play"
    Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to all my clubs alone in the beginning, as a beginner. It was so bad... no one wanted to play with me. I always felt the unwillingness...

After 2 years, everything changed. I can beat most of those people. Just as a reminder to myself, I always step in when I see a new guy/girl stands on court by her/himself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenPower View Post

After 2 years, everything changed. I can beat most of those people.
    Guess that's the time to find a more competitive group of players / club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind going to a gym alone. It allows me to have free time to myself, especially in the early hours, to just reflect and rethink how things should be done on court. Whenever I go with friends, it seems like all we do is play or rally the whole time and that time isn't being used as productively as it could be. It is however a lot more fun so it's a trade off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you who had the bad experience of being snubbed by the self professed high and mighty of badminton (especially if you are very young and just starting out), don't be dishearten, if you take in positively, the experience will make you a better man.

I was in similar position when I was in primary school. The unpleasant experience taught me to be more humble and considerate to others (especially those in a weaker position). Because of past bad experience, I now never refuse to play with anyone or refuse to be anyone partner, be it small kids or absolute beginners and if I see anyone being ignored, I will invite him for a game; it make their day and is good for your soul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2