Need racquet recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by xiao_yi, Sep 13, 2004.

1. xiao_yi

xiao_yi Regular Member

Student
    Hello everyone,

I know what I'm looking for in a racquet, so I'd like some recommendations from anybody that can help.

1) Overall mass will preferably be as heavy as possible.
    2) I want it to be head light (balance point as close as possible to the handle).
    3) And the sweet spot should be as high as possible (as close to the tip of the head as possible).

Heavy. Head light. High sweet spot.
    And price is unimportant.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Xiao Yi

2. FrozenHell

FrozenHell Regular Member

I have only seen Steel Shaft(heavy) with Graphite Head(Light).

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I know this might not be my business, but just wondering why you need to get such a racket? :confused:

With my limited experience, such a racket could make the power generation to be extremely difficult (heavy overall + heal lightness). Personally, I don't know any manufacture even make such rackets, as going to 2 extremes (relatively un-favorable) all at once.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Heavy, but head light? That means you want the weights towards the handle. Have you have try to use the hammer backwards? That's how it's going to feel like.

Your only bet is the old steel/iron racquets which were produced 20 years ago. They are heavy, and some of them are head light, and yet, they are cheap, like $10 USD.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it sounds like a strange requirement. but here is a potential solution to the request.

buy any low end racket, a cheapo clone or something.

open up the handle and take the handle cap off and expose the end of the handle. usually, it is hollow inside, if not, make a hole with a drill.

fill it with glue and if not enough, some heavier material, either heavier wood dowel or even lead shots if you are so inclined.

put back the handle cap.

and voila. you should have a very heavy and very head light racket.

6. xiao_yi

xiao_yi Regular Member

Student
    I'm trying to test out a theory.

Basically, all the top tennis players customize their regular rackets (that are normally light, and head heavy) to make them heavy and head light. I found it made a massive improvement in my tennis game when I tried myself.

I was wondering if the same thing might work for badminton. I have an old cheap 104g steel shaft, aluminium head racket and it seemed to work pretty well, except the racket is head heavy and the sweet spot is very low in the head.

7. xiao_yi

xiao_yi Regular Member

Student
    More racquet advice needed

Hello again,

So, I've got a few more questions.

Can anyone recommend any racquets with a high sweet spot (closer to the tip of the racquet)?

How about the Yonex MP-100 and AT-700, I've noticed those are high on the attack/smash area of the chart, would they have a high sweet spot?

I'll be using this racquet about 50-50 between singles and doubles.

Also, could someone describe the difference between rackets on the top attack/smash side of the Yonex chart versus the receive/bottom side? What exact characteristics of the racquets would be different? Weight, balance, etc?

Thanks again!

Xiao Yi

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Oh, i see, however...

Tennis and badminton are different games. For tennis, swing speed is not as important as in badminton. Therefore, heavy racket can improve the stablization of strokes, with a minor trade off in swing speed. Overall, not a bad solution.

In badminton, many strokes are rely on wrist. If a racket is very heavy and hard to swing, it's risky to get yourself injuried, never have to metion with signifcant decreament in swing speed, you performance might going down hill as well.

Be careful with this experiment. If you see you swing speed going down, and getting tired easily, don't push for it. :)

9. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    If you like to choose in Yonex...
    If 2U is heavy enough for you...
    TI 6,TI 7

10. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    The sweet spot, as i understand it, is mainly determined by the way you string the racquet.

Whoever strung my MP99 strung it so the sweetspot ended up near the lower section...I sitll haven't gotten it restrung yet. :p

The AT700 and MP99 are definately smashing racquets. At700 is really singles orientated in my opinion, and the Mp99 is a much better well-rounded-yet-powerful racquet.

Much like the classic Ti-10 in it's quality...I'm not saying it IS a Ti-10

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    generally they are broad statements to the effect that the more flexible, and head light racquets are grouped by yonex at the defensive/receving end, and the stiffer ones at the attack end.