Back in the game

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Golden Buddha, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Golden Buddha

Golden Buddha Regular Member

Government
    Hello to one and all out there!

What to write? Living in Burnaby, BC and after 12 years have rekindled my love for the sport. I've been playing now for several months with some collegues from work. Since they have been playing for 2 hours a day for years I became very familiar with the court as I was made to run to every inch of it. Due to my hiatus from the game I would consider myself a beginner/intermediate. I'm getting better everyday, but still wearing the cement training shoes.

I'm always interested in meeting new people and after browsing this site it appears as though this is the place to be.

If there is anyone out there interested in playing or can recommend places to play in the Burnaby/Vancouver area I'd be very appreciative.

See you on the court

GB :D

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    welcome to BF, golden fudd :)
    you are located in the hotbed of badminton of canada.
    tons of baddy places in Vancouver

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey GB,

Welcome to BF and back to the sport! Where do you usually play? There's a few good places around Vancouver you could check out, but only two decent public drop-ins at community centers around Burnaby IMO. Cameron and Bonsor. There are also private clubs that run out of school gyms but you gotta know someone inside those clubs to get in. If you're interested in having a game with me, drop-in at Cameron on Monday nights from 7:15pm to 9:20pm. Plastic shuttles and a good number of intermediate players.

If you want to play feathers, Renfrew Community Center has shuttle-provided drop-ins on two days (Sundays and Tuesdays, both at 8pm-10pm).

Have fun:)!

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome back to badminton, Golden Buddha ... and Welcome to BadmintonForum. There're fun games to be had in Burnaby, if you don't take the game too seriously. And even if you do, there're some games to be had, but be prepared to come in your group. Gets clicky up thar!

-dave

5. Golden Buddha

Government
    Thanks

Thanks for the invite Cappy. I normally play at work as the building where my office is has its own gym (only fits one court). Some co-workers and I have started our own little mini-tournament, but I'm always looking to improve my game in whatever I do. I live close to both Bonsor and Cameron and will have to stop by next Monday night.

It never occurred to me that there was such a huge badminton community in the area, but it's nice to see.

GB

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey GB,

I will be dropping in at Cameron Mondays for awhile, so be sure to introduce yourself to me:). Also, I had a look at the new fall edition of the Burnaby Leisure Guide and found a few private baddy clubs around town (listed in the community directory). Do check them out as well and write a review on BF:).

Ming

7. Golden Buddha

Government
    Cappy,
    What time Monday? I'll be there with cement shoes and all.

GB

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

GB,

Cool. Come out at 7pm. You know how to get there? This is one of those places that might get overcrowded (ie. restricted drop-ins) on somedays. If you're thinking of going there regularly, I suggest that you get yourself a $5 membership card and call in before you go. See you there with your dancing shoes:D!

9. Golden Buddha

Government
    Monday

See you there...I'll be the guy with the colourful socks.

10. Golden Buddha

Government
    Monday Night @ Cameron

:D Hey all,
    Had a great time at Cameron Rec Centre tonight. Extremely talented players who showed a great deal of mercy on me tonight. 6 games played and 6 losses (got beat real bad) to show for it. I apologize to all of my partners for setting the other team up so many times and becoming a great match maker between the bird and net.

Cappy, don't know if you were out there tonight, but you would have recognized me because I was the guy with the Chili socks and getting my butt run ragged all over the court. Maybe I'll run into you next time.

Even though I got beat like a red-headed stepchild I will persist and who knows...some day I might actually be of some use to my partner and we'll get more than 5 points.

See you out there. :D

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ugh! So sorry about that, GB. I went there early but got stuck with a group:(. What's your name, friend:)? Perhaps next week we can meet again. I am glad you enjoyed your session at Cameron:). Hope you'll make it your regular stop there.

Ming

12. Golden Buddha

Government
    Next week

Name's David. I'll be the guy with the shaved head, funky socks and thundering all over the court! Unfortunately, I won't be there next Monday as I'll be back to work. However, I'd be glad to play any other time of the week. I'll be out playing in Pitt Meadows on the 30th at Edith Mcdermott school 8pm-10pm and then back at Cameron for Friday night. See you when I see you (who should I be looking for?). :D

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Nice to have (almost) met you

Hey David,

Unfortunately, I only play at Cameron on monday nights:(. That's the only time where you get a good number of decent calibre players, the rest of the week baddy players share the courts with basketball (fridays) or lots of kids (family sundays):(. Anyway, I am glad that things worked out for you. I guess that I will leave it to fate if our paths should cross. If you ever visit Cameron Mondays again, I am the loud chinese guy with a terribly bed-ragged hair:D! Or you could look for my name on the signup board.

Ming

14. Golden Buddha

Government
    Fate

Pleasure to meet you Ming! Well, October will be a better month for me as I'll have most Monday nights off. So the bed-ragged haired guy will be looking for the no haired guy. Copy that. Should we play together/against I'll try not to be beaten like the red-headed stepchild. With that said....look forward to seeing you on the court. :cool:

David

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! I think that's an excellent idea! I am contemplating a full shave though, so maybe no more hair by then:p?!

Ming

16. VALLY

VALLY Regular Member

sales
    I have noticed that it is very Clicky.. How does a person who has no Badminton friends meet people to play?

All of my Friends play Basketball. grrrrrrr:crying:

17. Golden Buddha

Government
    Edith Mcdermott

Vally,
    If you're interested and can make it out to Pitt Meadows this club meets Tuesday & Thursdays 8pm-10pm. Great group of people from beginner to intermediate/advanced. If you don't mind being partnered with a newbie to the game then this is a great place. If you do, definitely go to Cameron Community Centre near Lougheed Mall Monday night...excellent crop of players there.

Edith McDermott School, 12178 Bonson Road, Pitt Meadows

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Vally,

All you have to do is ask... I am sure many players would be accommodating as long as you ask them nicely. Gotta start somewhere, friend:D. Once you drop-in regularly, you'll become a familiar face.

19. Golden Buddha

Government
    Badminton Videos

Can anyone recommend where to go for some badminton videos? I'd like to get my hands on some tournament play as well as any training videos that are out there. Preferably in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area. Thanks.

GB

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

GB,

You might wanna hookup with Han Cheong (or HAN) in this forum. He provides good quality DVDs of professional badminton broadcasts converted from tapes and TV. I am one satisfied and repeat customer of his. If you have broadband, you could also get some vids from the forum.