Serving/recieving stance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ldo123, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ldo123

ldo123 New Member

Being right handed, when receiving in doubles, I always have my left foot in front; when serving, I stand with the foot closest to the center-line in front. However, i noticed in a picture from the US Opens someone serving from the right court, with their right leg in front... Which is the correct leg to put in front when serving/recieving, if there is one? and more importantly, why?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Receiving:

I was taught that my non racquet foot should be in front. As for the type of stance you should take. I don't really know, I'm experimenting with different stances and which work for me.

Serving:

I was taught that my racquet foot should be in front when serving although if you want you can serve while your feet are parallel to each other.

3. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    i'm right handed so when i'm receiving, i have my left foot forward and my right foot about a foot to a foot and a half behind. when i first started playing, i had my right foot forward but now i usually have my feet right next to each other about shoulder lenght apart

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  6. speedy shuttle

speedy shuttle Regular Member

full time badminton freak - somtimes webdesign
    your non racquet leg should be first, this makes the most sense because under most circumstances this leg is weaker, therefore you would want your stronger one the back to transmit energy for smashes etc.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Oh? I thought it's the other way around:confused:. One would want to push off with a stronger non-racquet foot first for flick serves and taps. Strong first step is key to acceleration and speed.

8. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Footwork!!!

When i started out playing i had my right foot forward. I also played right handed. But after i changed to left foot first, it felt kinda odd. After i got use to it, it actually helps my game. The reason is not that my right foot is stronger than my left. They are equally the same, unless u walk on one foot. It's not like your right and left hand. Your use your right hand way more then your left, so your right hand gets a work out and it's stronger. But when u walk u always use both your feet equally. The fact that having your left foot infront help your game, is that u'll be able to cover more distance, because it's easier to be synchronized. Put your non racket foot in front. It's easy to have your body synchronize on both sides. Right foot to right hand., left foot to left hand. So if u use your non racquet hand, which is my left foot to pivot. U can leap a greater distance then with your right foot as pivot. Your body usually have left foot to left arm, right foot to right arm. Like when u jog, your arms move like your foot. Your ride side moved together, and your left side moves together. So if u have it like that u can use the most of your body.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what Joseph says is correct.

10. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Are we assuming a backhand serve? If serving forehand I would have my non-racquet foot forwards.

I'm only just learning to serve backhand and only found out about having the racquet foot forwards a couple of days ago. Always wondered why my serves were always so bad :rolleyes:

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

When serving, it doesn't matter which foot you put forwards. You can even serve with both feet level. Players develop a preference, but there's really no right or wrong stance.

With receiving, however, you must put your non-racket foot forward. If you don't do this, you will find it difficult to attack a good flick serve.

12. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Just a thought for receiving:

With the non-racquet foot forward, you cannot play backhand shots without moving your non-racquet foot. With the racquet foot forward, you can play both forehand and quite a few back hand shots without having to move any foot. Of course assuming that the shuttle is within reach.

Having mentioned that. I receive and serve with my non-racquet foot forward. :p

13. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Play an overhead forehand instead of a backhand. If the shuttle is out of reach for an overhead forehand, then it will probably be out of reach to a static backhand anyway.

14. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    how would you play around the head forehand when shuttle is waist level on backhand side?

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ugh! If you're receiving the service near waist level on your backhand, you're probably positioned too far from the service angle and/or too slow to intercept the shot:D! Either that or the drive serve is illegal:p.