Expert racket advice required please.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by simonob007, Sep 14, 2004.

1. simonob007

simonob007 Regular Member

Hi Everyone.

I have been looking through the forum pages (started about a week ago cuz there are so many of them) and I have looked through the equipment reviews to help me choose a new racket. I have now narrowed my choice down to two but I would really appreciate some expert advice to help me make my final decision!

The two rackets I am considering are

1) Yonex MP99 G3 3U (i can get for £89 ($160us))
    2) Yonex AT500 G3 3U (i can get for £74 ($133us))

I did consider the MP88 but after reading the forums and reviews I felt it wouldn't benefit the 'smashing' side of my game.

I mainly play doubles 3 times a week in my university team. My game focuses on quick defense after I have served, smashing and I also tend to drop the shuttle a lot.

I am looking for a serious racket because I have been playing with a very old wilson racket for the past 5 years which I feel could do with been retired, I am also working hard to improve my game so I feel it is time to improve the eqipment that I use!

I am NOT bothered about the colour scheme of the racket or the price difference, I am mainly interested in racket durability/strength and I want the racket which will most suit my game as described above.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give. CHEERS! ;)

2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Of those two, I would say the MP99 is more fragile. Both are very good all round racquets. However the MP99 is most popular.

I am not 100% sure but I think AT500 is regular length whilst MP99 is longer by about 10mm.

You could spend the money on thr AT500 and use the money left over to invest in a decent pair of shoes if you have not done so already.

Being a student, I am sure you can come up with many ways to use any surplus money :p

3. simonob007

simonob007 Regular Member

How much more durable would you say the AT500 is than the MP99?

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Not very much, by the way, AT500 is long size, not regular.

5. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    i dont know why but i've always disliked mp99s. they're just far too heavy to be able to execute a quick enough swing. in another few months i think i'll be buying a isometric62MF-light because of its freakish lightweight. in conclusion....i'd prefer at500 over mp99 any day

6. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Actually the MP-99 may feel lighter than the AT-500 because of its even balance. The AT-500 is head heavy so it may have an overall heavier feeling to it. That's how it feels with the Armotec 700 and even 800DE which are both head heavy also.

7. bhayes

bhayes Regular Member

personnally i love the mp-88 which you have taken out of the running for power issues? i feel that the amazing control of the mp-88 makes up for the lack of smash power . i found with half smashes and quick doubles interchanges the mp-88 has greater repulsion. have you hit with any of these racquets??? i owned a armortec 500 but sold it and now own 2 mp-88's