Im just starting (maybe)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gambit13891, Sep 16, 2004.

1. gambit13891

gambit13891 New Member

Hi im derek im 13 years old and i was thinking of trying out for my schools badminton team but ive listened to my sister and my dad rag on about how wimpy the sport is and i was worried that if i make the team that i would be made fun of so i was wondering what kinds of things you guys say when people say that badminton is wimpy or whatever

if you have any suggestions the would be much apriciatiated thx

Derek/gambit13891

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    first you have to like the sport (badminton) first. If you believe you have found your game, then you know what other people say are wrong or haven't played the game itself. Do what you like, not what other people nag you to do or not do.

3. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I agree with cooler. If you like the sport, you won't care what anyone thinks. When I was growing up I always thought badminton was a wimpy backyard sport. Once I saw a video of professional players competing, I became a changed man :). Just show them some videos or EPSN's article on Tennis vs Badminton to show them how hard it really is.

4. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Just like what cooler said you have to like game in order to enjoy the game. I don't regret start playing badminton when i'm 35. Now i'm addicted to this game. If within 1 - 2 weeks i didn't go to the club i feel something is not right. Just get a proper equipment IE racket, shoes, socks and a coach to guide you.

Cheers

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Wether you make to the team or not, you will find badminton is a sport that is very fun and you can take it with you throughout your whole life. So, go play badminton and just follow your feelings. :)

Considering Badminton and Basketball, you can still see lots of old people playing (over 60+), and you rarely see any old people play basketball. Badminton is very long lasting :)

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Don't listen to your sister and dad. The only know badminton as a backyard game, not as a sport. I don't think I've ever had any problems with people saying anything negative about badminton. I guess the only way to change their minds is to show them how badminton is really played. Maybe you can show them a couple videos or bring them to open gym. If you don't make the team, you should still try and find a place to play. You can probably go find some coaching so that next year you'll be ready. I guess we can apply this quote in this situation for you, "Seeing is believing"

7. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    hey you came here.......

so you must deep down inside have a great passion and interest for badminton! :p

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

ahhhh.. so are u starting a new sport for them or for yourself?

seriously!

2ndly badminton is NOT a wimpy sport .....it can be a wimpy sport but at that level its not really a sport anyways so in a way your not even talkin about the same thing ...and that really just depends on the people your playing against and how seriosly they take the game

badminton is like anything else - you only get out as much as you put into it

i am only seriously involved in 2 sports right now - Badminton and TaeKwonDo (in which i recently got my black belt) i'm no wimp... and i've known a few tough badminton players ... a few who would fight anyone who didn't give them respect at the gym... somebody walks on the court while we are playing and its big trouble hehe :D

and i got in a fight one time at school w/a guy who kept insulting me thinking i was a wimp because the only sport i was good at was badminton ... he didnt know that i had a solid left hook.. which shut him up rather effectively after listening to 20 minutes of his b/s.

.... but its just the way things are percieved and how certain sports are stereotyped or gereralized.

so playing badminton doesn't make you a wimp.. and you also decide how you want to act on court ..act like a wimp and thats how you'll usually be percieved.

so on the one hand dont take any crap from anyone - but dont expect everyone to think badminton is the greatest game or anything.

and ask yourself: are you playing to impress other poeple or for yourself.

I play for Me. :cool: