NEWS : Gopi Chand returns to the singles fold

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by seven, Sep 17, 2004.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Gopi Chand returns to the singles fold
    Saji Chacko
    Bangalore, September 16[​IMG][​IMG]

His shots might have lost the sting, may be a trifle slower now, but his resolve to win remains undiminished. Former All-England champion, Pullela Gopi Chand is making a comeback in singles after a gap of two years. He has been given a wild card to participate in the Canara Bank All-India senior ranking badminton championships which gets underway at the Indira Nagar Club from Friday. Not the one to shy away from a challenge, the genial Hyderabadi promises his best.

Speaking to the Hindustan Times, Gopi Chand said he planned his comeback slowly but surely. "After a series of injuries to my knees, I had to be careful about planning my comeback. Initially, I confined myself to the doubles (partnering Chetan Anand in a couple of tournaments including the Hyderabad Nationals earlier this year). Only when I felt I had the required fitness to play singles did I venture into it," he says.

Gopi Chand did play a competitive singles match in the Inter-Petroleum championships in Delhi last week. And he was good enough to beat National champion Chetan Anand. “That win over Chetan meant a lot to me.

2. badmad

badmad Regular Member

yup! playing in this tourney will surely test his nerves at national level. Except india no. 1, Abhinn Shyam Gupta, almost every MS player is participating in this (Nikhil Kanetkar, JBS Vidhyadhar among other prominent ones).
    Aparna Popat will be participating too for this event.

I must try to make it to this. All the indian top shuttles in action together. :)