Question for the Stringers...

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by timeless, Sep 17, 2004.

1. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    For all the stringers out there...

When you open a new package of Yonex strings, it's a single string wound in a circle and held by a cut-off plastic zip tie (or whatever they're called). My question is, do you guys have a quick and efficient way of getting the string out of the plastic zip tie? I usually unravell the string by constantly pulling one end out of the zip tie until roughly 3/4ths of it is out, then have enough play in the zip tie to carefully snip it off without cutting the string by accident. I find it inefficient though... does anyone have a better method? It's not that it takes such a long time, more like a mild annoyance. Of course, if you always use spools then you wouldn't have this problem.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am using the same method as you do. A "improved" method is to force my dad to do it, whileing I am setting up my string machine. :D

3. Magic Orco

Magic Orco Regular Member

I always use a little nailcutter(indicated with the arrow). Just cut the plastic right away with this thing. Never damaged a string or anything. Works perfectly fine and saves a lot of time... :)

Attached Files:

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    EVIL EVIL!!!! I pity your dad on this one LazyBuddy. Well at least you justified your nick :p :p .

Btw, can't you use a pair of scissors or some pliers to crush the plastic thing??

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As timeless indicated, the plastic zip is very tight. Therefore, just cut it without "loosen" up the reel might be a little bit risky. The entire process takes no more than 2 min any way, and I don't want to save 2 min, but taking the chance to damage a US$5 (BG65, more expensive for other string) package. :p

6. RAMADA77

RAMADA77 Regular Member

Student
    Here in the UK and elsewhere I presumed most stringers use reels of 200 metres. They are far easier to use than singles.
    My experience of single strings is not good, if you can manage to remove the tag without catching the string you have done well, but then you find that the tighter coil of string is far more difficult to string with then the larger reels. It can often twist back on itself and you have to be careful again to unravel it without causing a kink in the string. Anyone who has a number of rackets to string should avoid singles, and if the cost of large reels is too expensive then buy a reel and split the cost between friends.

Better still leave it to the stringer who should able to offer you a choice of at least 4 decent strings.

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    use a normal plier and twist the head off. should take no tonger than 10 seconds...

thats one way i use to do it. not the best / easiest way i know but the easiest method that i can explain.

there is an easier / safer / faster way but it's a pain to explain. so go fish :D

p.s. cant believe you guys take more than 2 minutes! im not being sarcastic here. im just baffled :confused:

#7 jug8man, Sep 19, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

yup. i use to do this all the time last time as well. no problems at all.

until one day just a slip of the wrist and :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

needless to say nailcutters are a no-no for me anymore :D

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I just use a scissors to cut it.. i dont have any problem removing the zip.. anyway you should becareful when doing it.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i used to use a electrician wire cutter to cut the head off. when done, the tie will end up in two piece, one piece is the head only, the other piece is the u-shape tie. if you cut it this way, the cutting blade is parallel to the strings and won't cut the strings. electrician wire cutter are also quite delicate and accurate so the chance of any mishaps is smaller than using a pair of scissors.

the wirecutter are useful to have around the stringing machine to cut the string-end so it just come convenient.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    reels are purposely not available in SE asian market :crying:

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the only thing i cut is excess string after tying the knots kekeke

13. mousy

mousy New Member

Y dont you just cut of the big fat square plastic thingy instead of cutting through the zip tie - never had a problem with it myself !?!

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The kink in the string of singles is easily avoided by dropping one end of the string unto the floor when weaving/lacing the other end on the frame, if you adopt a standing up stringing stance. If you string sitting down, then throw one end of the string over your shoulder or simply let it drop on the floor over as large an area as possible.

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    To those of you who shared, thanks for the suggestions.:)