Zhang Ning : base -> forehand fast attack footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Sep 17, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is a different sequence of a different type of attack footwork.

notice Zhang didn't do any body rotation as there is too little time to do so. the movement is for a fast, sudden surprise attack.

Attached Files:

2. viver

viver Regular Member

She could have made the body rotation in the initial stage or already expecting where Audina would return. A complex stroke made so simple by Zhang Ning.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you show the pictures for the recovery footwork as well and when she moves to the next shot?:)

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think she has already made her intial rotation to position her in the direction of movement. The lack of ratation she has is from the stroke cycle.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

My interpretation: in the first image Zhang Ning is already moving to the right side of her baseline corner. To unsure if she did the body rotation, Kwun has to show some more clips of earlier action. If ZH anticipated the return, then she may have prepared for this move much earlier and possibly will not see the body rotation here. Sorry for not making it clearer but I think we had same interpretation here. ;)

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    We did :)

It would also be intresting to see any o her movementsbefore the shuttle had been hit. The camera angle is goo in that we are able to see the position of the shuttle relative to Mia Audina. At the start of this sequence we can see the shuttle has already been hit by Mia for a short time. I would like to see any movements Zhang Ning make in the short time before MA hits the shuttle and Immediatley afterwards (these are the most important for quick footwark IMO)

So Kwun any Chance?? I know its a lot of work. I think these threads with frame by frame images are excellent in showing the people asking about footwork techniques. Keep them coming!! :) :)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this particular angle is nice to analyse movement, but problem is that they only show snippets of it. the sequence that i captured here is just about all they had for this camera angle, i will try to capture it from the rear view and see.

btw, this smash was a winner so there was little that Zhang did afterwards.

next time i will pick a shot in the middle of the rally instead of at the winning shot. it won't be this nice closer angle though.

8. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    China jump

I think it's just china jump. I see it quite often and use it as well. It's used when you do not have enough time to get to forehand corner properly.

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    used often for intercepting shooting (medium) lobs and low flicks. come to think of it.... its almost the same technique when receiving 'foot at line'.

just my 2 cents

10. badmad

badmad Regular Member

yeah, I think few frames depicting her early movements would be good...

moreover, Kwun, how about base + backhand smash execution frames in this series? ;) (sorry to put the request here but there ain't no other place to put request for upcoming sequences...)

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I may be wrong, but I think it will be hard to find a sequence with a good camera angle to take the movement frame by frame. It doesnt happen too often in a game anyway and combined with a good movement and good camera angle it wil be difficult.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree with this because of the way she is balanced for the shot.

13. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Block Jump

This footwork is called Block Jump in the rear forehand corner - right foot take off and land first too, there is no (almost non) body rotation when hitting the shuttle.

Block Jump is often used in the rear forehand corner when late getting behind the shuttle like Zhang Ning or simply used to intercept those fast coming shuttle such as the Block-Jump in the forehand & lefthand court sides and the Round-the-Head Block-Jump in the lefthand rearcourt corner (e.g. reverse x-court slice smash or drop).

To find out more about the Block Jump then please check it out in: Basic Footwork - IBF Coaching Video 1

Please to share this information and hope it helps.

Ken