Advice on Slice/Drop shots?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lawrence, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Guest

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips in making a slice drop. (I am not sure if I am describing it properly) So far, I am trying to hit the bird similar to how I hit an overhead clear with the racquet at an angle.....is this how this is done? Any tips would be helpful....thank you :)

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm not very good at these type of shots but i like doing them. Normally the only time when i do a slice drop shot as you call it. Is from the back corners of the court. The back right for righties, what i would do is change my grip to a backhand grip and hit it forhand. Cutting the shuttle causing it to drop in the front right of your opponents court.

Just do turn your racket the opposite way for the slice drop shot from the opposing corner.

It takes a while to do this shot but its fun when you can pull it off, it keeps your opponent guessing on which way to move

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm not very good at these type of shots but i like doing them. Normally the only time when i do a slice drop shot as you call it. Is from the back corners of the court. The back right for righties, what i would do is change my grip to a backhand grip and hit it forhand. Cutting the shuttle causing it to drop in the front right of your opponents court.

Just do turn your racket the opposite way for the slice drop shot from the opposing corner.

It takes a while to do this shot but its fun when you can pull it off, it keeps your opponent guessing on which way to move

4. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    Do a search of previous posts using the " Slice drops" heading and you should get some results.

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Set up as you would for any overhead shot. Unlike other overhead shots, your arm does not pronate significantly as the racket is brought up to meet the shuttle. Instead, you brush the racket across the shuttle from left to right for a conventional slice (for a right-hander).

For a reverse slice you actually would pronate the racket arm. In fact, you would over-pronate to produce a cutting action in the opposite direction. I wouldn't bother with this reverse slice until you've mastered the conventional slice (above).

Some players merely cut across the cork to produce additional spin on the shuttle. Advanced players often line up the racket face with the incoming bird so that they actually contact the tips of the feathers. This tends to fray the tips slightly but, if properly executed, should not damage the shuttle. By catching the tips of the feathers you effectively cut across the whole side of the bird (rather than just the cork) to produce a significant amount of spin. This extra spin cause the shuttle to drop sharply as it crosses the net.

When this technique is used by a left-handed player the results are very dramatic. This is due to the construction of the shuttle, the way the feather overlap. The lefty cuts against the overlap rather than with it. The right-handed player might be able to take advantage of this with either a reverse slice or a conventional slice hit with a backhand stroke.

6. Daniel Chen

Daniel Chen Guest

i dont know how to call them in english, but we call them "pee chiou" in chinese.
    the objective is to hit the ball farther than a drop but less deep than a smash to fake your opponent out or get him off balance... you simply hit a smash while slicing the shuttlecock. a good "pee" hits the ground fast and lands near the line. you can hit this shot crosscourt or down the line from both sides although try practicing crosscourt first because it is easier. when you are hitting to the left side of the court,slice the birdie from the right, when you are hitting to the right side of the court, slice the birdie from the left.