NEWS : Olympic stars come through with relative ease

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by kwun, Sep 19, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Olympic stars come through with relative ease [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica] Published on Sep 20, 2004 [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica] [BADMINTON] Olympians Boonsak Ponsana and his sister Salakjit reigned supreme over the National Badminton Championships yesterday, winning the men’s and women’s crowns.[/font] [font=arial, helvetica]Boonsak also won the prestigious King’s Cup and Salakjit the Queen’s Cup.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Against the inexperienced Sitthichai Viboonsin, ranked 194 in the world, in the final at the Impact Arena in Muang Thong Thani, Boonsak employed solid defence. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]He unleashed a series of spectacular smashes and dazzling drop shots to take total control in both games, which he won comfortably 15-4 15-4. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]“It was an easy final. Sitthichai is inexperienced, but I think he has the potential to develop in the near future,†said Boonsak, 23, who is now No 17 in the world. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]“Now I will have a rest before resuming training in preparation for the SEA Games in Manila. I have never won the SEA Games title and next year’s edition might be my best chance,†Boonsak, the first Thai to make the Olympics semi-finals, said. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Salakjit, the world number 26 and silver medallist at the last SEA Games, powered past Bangpho’s Sorajja Chansrisukot in straight sets 11-9 11-6. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Sudket Prapakamol clinched his second title of the tournament yesterday. After partnering Kulchala Voravijitrchaikul on Friday for the mixed doubles, Sudket yesterday teamed with Phattapol Ngernsrisuk in the men’s doubles final to beat Natthapol Nakthong and Phattapol’s younger brother Panuwat in a hard-fought thriller 15-10 15-12.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Preechachan [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Wiriyanupappong [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]The Nation [/font]